Looking for some tips for my 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

moody

I'm looking to perk up my saw. It runs well but its not turning the rpms i know its capable of. Right now its running around 12,900-13,000. Non cat muffler e-3 plug perked it up some just acts rev limited. It's a 2011 model. Any easy solutions to get it closer to the 14,000 range?

It is rev limited. Buy a non limited coil, open up the exhaust, tune the carb and you'll have a good runner.

The limiter should be at much higher rpm that what he stated, so it isn't the issue - unless it is faulty.

This may well be just a question of adjusting the carb properly - and if the dealer did his job properly when selling the saw..... :givebeer:

Correct, but I've seen a few kick in at 13.500 and when you're on the limiter it will give false readings.

When he is getting a readable number on the tach (like I read his post), it hardly is at the limiter - but I may have read the post wrong.....

Anyway, we really have too little info here - if he can't elaborate, he'd better take the saw back to the dealer for a carb adjustment.

I tune my 346, which is non-limited fwiw, in the cut. Same way I tune limited saws. Crank it out so it is pig rich and cut 346 sized wood with it, and gradually lean it out until it cleans up in the cut. My saws clean up when you put some pressure on them. Either by dogging in or just using some gentle downforce when bucking. Tachs are great but don't get to hung up on some number IMO. This is assuming your saw is working properly.

When he is getting a readable number on the tach (like I read his post), it hardly is at the limiter - but I may have read the post wrong.....

Anyway, we really have too little info here - if he can't elaborate, he'd better take the saw back to the dealer for a carb adjustment.

Dealer!!!?? We don't need no stinkin' dealer!!!

i had mine masterminded,, it is taching 13900 at wot

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0DppGwFHYyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

first,, i agree, take the e3 plug and chunk it,,, if you are not hitting the 141000 then it either has a bad coil or running way to rich,, you should be hitting at least 14000 by leaning it out,,,about 138000 is a good number to shoot for since its a newer saw

I got my unlimited coil put on yesterday but didnt put it in wood yet but it should be ok it was at 13800 with the limited coil.

The e3 gave me better throttle response it was just a chance to try one. It's cuts great for a small saw. But if there's a kosher reason for removing it and putting the ngk back in please explain. Thanks for the tips guys.

Oh, Stop it:redface:

I'd like to add some of my experience with limited coils. The coil is designed to cut out spark to keep the saw from over revving. The tach reads how many times the coil is firing/sparking. So if you are running rich enough to keep it from limiting the spark & then gradually lean it out the tach will start reading lower as the limiter starts working. the leaner you go the less the tach will read since it's trying to keep the engine from reving to high & cutting out more fires/sparks per minute. I hope I worded this so it makes sense.

You can also look at it in the opposite way. If the tach is reading say, 12,000 rpm no load, you can richen it up to bring the rpms up to 13,500 since the coil is not trying to compensate as much for the lean condition.

Clear as mudd?????:dizzy:

Back