Looking for the best file guide

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I will be starting to sharpen my chains myself.
For years I have been bringing my chains away. Since I joined this site I hear good reports that many having good successes sharpening there own chains with a file and guide. I believe the file and guide is the way to go for my needs. I am trying to find out which is the best built and most accurate one to buy. I do not want a grinder. I had chains ruined by the temper removed from the chains by overheating. Cost is not not an issue as long as it not over $200.00.

Here are some I am thinking about.

GRANBERG FILE-N-JOINT

TECOMEC DELUXE SUPER RAPID FILER

STIHL BENCH MOUNT FILING TOOL

I was wondering how the Stihl bench mount filing tool is. I prefer a bench mount. Is this one good or is there a better bench mount made from another company that is more accurate and heavier built.

I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Put the saw in a vice with bright lights shining on it and wear gloves. Try without a guide, maybe you will find you don't need one. I freehand, took a while to get it right but I like the fact all I need is a file. If I was production falling big wood then I would use a guide for that extra edge, but my saws cut good enough now. Good luck to you.

I have good luck with my Granberg file n joint. I have heard the Stihl is a little betetr built, but at a much higher cost.

I have never seen the tecomec. I use the Granberg with great results. At the time I last checked you could have bought about 6 File-N-Joints for the cost of 1 of the Stihl filing guides. If cost truely was no object then you would certainly have a Silvey grinder on your list. :D :cheers:

My granberg file sits on the self collecting dust. The roller file is the easiest, fastest, cheapest, and pretty accurate file that I have found. Most any northern tool, Husky or Jonsereds dealer carries them. They are a little difficult to figure out at first. They are just under $200 also. $10. Someone else might post a pic if they have one.

The Granberg FNJ is cheap and effective. But it should be viewed the same as training wheels to give you the feel of the angles first and then progress forward to filing without a guide. I like the feel of free-handing better now and I think my edges are better. But I would not be nearly as competent without having used the FNJ first

Last edited:
I feel the clamp onto the file type

works the best for me.. It controls the depth,all I have to do is control the angle.. And by all means wear a pair of good leather gloves..sharp chains cut deep, draw lots of blood and leave nasty scars.. I have a finger that I cut last year when I slipped out of the tooth and my index finger slid along the edge of the tooth I had just razored..I should have had stitches.. But black tape and a McDonalds napkin seemed like the thing to do at the time..

My roller filed chain with three tanks of cutting on it and a little sand got flipped of the bar in some brush today. It had a few burrs on the drivers,so I threw a new LGX chain on. I started cutting and almost went back and filed it. I think it was cuttting slower right out of the box.:censored:

My roller filed chain with three tanks of cutting on it and a little sand got flipped of the bar in some brush today. It had a few burrs on the drivers,so I threw a new LGX chain on. I started cutting and almost went back and filed it. I think it was cuttting slower right out of the box.:censored:

Now you did it!!

I have the Stihl bench mount guide and highly reccomend it. While it is admittedly very expensive, I can't imagine being without it. It works similar to the clamp-on units, but it has a cam lock holder that secures the cutter in position very securely. When it's adjusted properly, the cutter does not move at all. All angles and file height are very easy to adjust, and it holds it's adjustments well. I can hold most angles without a guide, but this thing makes it so easy, why bother. You can zip around a chain surprisingly quickly. I also like not having to fool around with a bar while sharpening with a bar mount unit. Just as a tip if you get one. Don't bolt it to the bench - it gets in the way. I bolted mine to a 2 x 4 and just chuck the board up in the vise. When you aren't sharpening, up on the shelf it goes.

And when I'm square filing full chisel chains, I just pop off the guide assembly with 1 knob, and it makes a dandy holding jig. It still allows plenty of room to get the square files to all the right spots. Wish it would hold the files and angles, though. Thought about making my own attachment for square. Maybe someday......

If anyone wants to see pics of the set-up, let me know and I'll attempt to post. (never tried attaching anything here)
Hope that helps. Let us know what you get.
Regards,
Shane.

I'v been talk'n to this guy (Goran Carlstrom)[email protected] about this guidehttp://www.atop.se/engelskaits for square grind chain, also I have a chain sharpened with it that we could pass around and look at if anyone wants to see how it does. Drop him a note tell him Larry sent you.

Larry Dennis

Hello and good evening,might anyone know the Stihl p/n for the bench mount
filing guide? My Stihl dealers are unable to locate any lit on the subject let alone a part number, how's that for dealerships!!! Thanks for any info.

Back when I could see I filed my chains with a file,,only. When poor eye sight prevented that I started using a flat plate style guide as sold at every box store and Stihl. For reasons unknown to me most everyone on here cusses them. The facts are my filed chains are plenty fast enough for this old farmer, at least as fast as factory grinds on new Stihl chains sometimes better, The flat plate guides are cheap, they are dead easy to use almost to the point of being fool proof and are easer to find in a box of chainsaw junk than one of those nifty roller guides. My chain vise is the saw mounted in my Starrett Athol 6" vise (which comes in handy other times as well). I seldom file in the field, just take enough saws along, LOL

The Atop unit looks neat. I've heard about something like that before, but hadn't seen it. It looks like it would help hold things steady. Wonder how easy it is to hold angles/heithts.... I think I'll give one a try. Nothing to loose but a few $$, right?

Last edited:
SWE#Kipp has had some connection with the ATop filing jig. There were supposed to be some modifications in process to do true square filing with it. He may know how that is progressing. I have their jig that uses a goofy file to do a different profile than a round file gives you but though easier than square filing does not compare to it. If you search here you will find some previous threads discussing this.

I like the roller file guide. I think most husky dealers have them or can get them. Less than ten bucks and quick, easy and accurate.

Yes, those work well - I have used them a lot.

The raker guides that they mostly are combined with work really well also, adjusting the raker to each individual cutter.

They help holding the file at the correct hight (provided you have the right one for your chain, and the right file size), which is more important than the exact angles. They also give you a good reference for the angles.

They are made for different types of Oregon chain, but it is easy to adapt them for Stihl chain as well.

Last edited:
The Husqvarna roller file guide is an excellent tool. In action it works much like the Atop roller guide but fits in the pocket.

Latest posts

Back