Looking to build a CSM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthe

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK I have been able to pick up enough scrap metal to build myself a CSM mill.

I want a rail mill and I'm considering a few design (procut, babybug, Jobber J100).

I have two questions:

1- For the chainsaw well being, is there any advantage to mill in a vertical or horizontal position.

2- I'm looking to purchase a small welding machine. I have no experience at welding. It needs to run on 120AC. Would you recommend a stick welder or a flux cored unit??

Thanks

danthe

Check out Canada Trash for the sales on Lincoln welders. I bought one a couple months ago. The box came with everything you need to start welding except the shielding gas. Ready to go though for flux core. They run on 120 but you need a 20 amp circuit.

Not many folks use the CS in a rail mili in the vertical position.

Vertical means the saw is always closer to you face - dust, noise, exhaust - not good.

Unless you are happy with the saw being held at one end of the bar (I personally don't think it's as good as holding both ends) or to continually move the log (also not good) the horizontal makes it easier to hold the bar at both ends.

If you are craft enough you could make a swing chainsaw mill. Will Mallof had a design that mills at 45º one way and the 45º the other using the end of the bar and was milling 12 x 12" beams with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back