Looking to buy a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another good option for you to look for would be a used 365 special non xtorq.

I have one and its a good middle ground between heavy and powerful and light and whimpy. It pulls a 20" bar through big wood very well. The 365 was going to be my new big enough to do big work, light enough to live with all day saw.

That was until I built this 562 I have here. 562xp has enough power for big wood and it handles very close to my ms260. I ran it for 6 hours on saturday and felt better then I do running multiple saws for a 2 or 3 hour day.

I know, I read and posted in it. Still a better deal than 90% of what is being listed as (ab)used on fleabay.

If I wanted to spend $600 on a single brand new saw to be my go to firewood saw, I'd have a hard time not picking the 261 with a lightweight 18" bar. Because I don't want to use a big heavy saw all the time. And it would surely be a world of difference over your unnamed 42cc saw.

But I got both my brand new 50cc 10.6 pound Echo 490(with a too long 20" bar and chain because that's what it came with) and a used 70cc 13.4 pound Hoosky 372XP(with 24" bar and chain) for less than that. So I didn't have to have the latest and greatest 50cc saw.

Granted the 372xp powerhead at 13.4 pounds aint all that heavy. But when you add a solid steel 24" bar and chain, it's far from a lightweight saw.

And the 20" lightweight bar on a lightweight 50cc saw is far more enjoyable to carry around and use a lot, but don't really balance as well as it could. An 18" makes for a much better balanced and lighter feeling saw, not to mention the increased throttle response with the slightly shorter bar.

I really like my Tree Monkey ported 261c. I think it might be the perfect firewood saw!

I love mine too (also tree monkeyed), and I'm sure it'd run right with a stock 362. The drawbacks of course are price (well more than a used 362), availability (I think Scott's six months out), and noise (might not be a problem for the OP, but dang is that a loud saw. My wife would rather mine was only run on the back 40).

With the OP being budget conscious and wanting to get as much saw for his money I'd go buy a Echo 590 Timberwolf for $400 new. Its pro saw construction, has no expensive tech that could be costly if it fails and is as reliable as a saw can get. That's the smart saw to buy. And I'm a Stihl guy with about 10 Stihl pro saws.

Bigger is better when cutting firewood. Keep a eye out for a 064 or 066 and you and run a 42” bar if needed on a 066, I just run mine about 3/4 throttle unless I’m in some big wood. I bought a 171 for small stuff. I run 25 and 32” on the 064 I bought for 550$. I bought my 362c for 475$ sold 2 years later after cutting bunch of wood for 500$ lol. It was a pretty good saw. Always stared really good within 4 pulls, that’s a 25” barAA2F698E-850A-4160-8AA7-7052DA057ADF.jpeg90AD1D60-764A-4696-8C85-7D11B0D58B21.jpeg 33E13F1C-AAF9-4853-AD37-A175E68D74EA.jpeg

For cutting oak around 18" I'd definitely buy 60 cc saw with 20" bar... All the following weight up to 6 kg pho.
Best (~3.5 kW): MS362, 562xp, Dolmar/Makita 6100, old 365 SPECIAL (65,1 cc)
Weaker (~3.0 kW): 555, CS-590
Depends on your budget :chainsaw:

For cutting oak around 18" I'd definitely buy 60 cc saw with 20" bar... All the following weight up to 6 kg pho.
Best (~3.5 kW): MS362, 562xp, Dolmar/Makita 6100, old 365 SPECIAL (65,1 cc)
Weaker (~3.0 kW): 555, CS-590
Depends on your budget :chainsaw:
What model Echo is that in your avatar?

I love mine too (also tree monkeyed), and I'm sure it'd run right with a stock 362. The drawbacks of course are price (well more than a used 362), availability (I think Scott's six months out), and noise (might not be a problem for the OP, but dang is that a loud saw. My wife would rather mine was only run on the back 40).

Expensive but definitely worth it!

A 3 cord per year cutter does not need an 066 to cut wood that rarely makes it over 20” diameter. If all you cut are straight logs 20+ inch diameter, sure, but assuming you’re processing a whole tree with a stump of 24” and the rest being smaller, and often much smaller, why lug such a big saw around?!

When I was new to saws I bought into this bigger is better attitude. Twenty years later, I’m over it. I’d rather take my time and run a nice little saw that handles well than swing a monster saw that cuts a few seconds faster per cut. Short bars, relatively powerful powerheads for their bar length, and a wedge or two works great for me anymore. Cheaper, lighter, and just as much fun.

Expensive but definitely worth it!

Personally I agree. Mine is a go to saw for sure. Of course the heated handles help with that too. It brings a smile to my face every time. That said, for 3 cords/year the OP will have to decide for himself if I saw like that is worth it.

I started with a Super XL Automatic, moved up to a Craftsman/Poulan 3700, then bought a brand new Poulan 5020, and now have the Echo CS590. The 590 is a GREAT saw for the non-proffesional firewood cutter. Pretty easy on the budget, has been reliable, and uses chains you can buy at a box store. The 5020 was pretty good too, but the power to weight makes the 590 ten times better imo. Get a smaller saw to complement it and you will be happy.

Been narrowing down some choices. The power to weight ratio is funneling me towards a fifty cc, to a maximum of about 60cc. Looking at reviews, I'm leaning towards a Stihl 362. They're a bit pricey, so I'm looking around for a gently used one. Just a couple of questions. What would a guy expect to pay for a used one? Anything that I should be looking out for, when looking at a used model?

I typically cut about three cords a year, for home heating. All of that is downed oak. Some are whole trees, some just limb fall. I've got a ms 170 for the small stuff, so I'm looking for something with more power for the bigger stuff. Typically the tree size maxes out about 24 inches, but mostly, it's smaller, and runs around 18" or so. In the past, I've been using a 42cc saw, and it just seems to take forever to cut through anything of any size.

Of course the 170 has that little pico chain, and it cuts mighty quick. But unfortunately that's not the case with my other saws. I've got a heavy poulan pro 5020, and it's a fifty cc. I'd like to get something that's a bit lighter, with at least as much power.

So, you have a Stihl 170 (30cc) and a Poulan 5020 (50cc) that weighs about 17 pounds. Do you also still have the unnamed 42cc.

While you can drop down about 4 lbs from the Poulan weight and increase power to the 60cc class with the Stihl 362, Echo TW 490 or H-460 rancher.,

You can drop about 2 pounds and move into the 70 class with 372xp. I promise it won't "take forever" on a 24" tree. It balances extremely well with a 24" bar and weights a bit toward the tip with a 28" - which I like. The saw also allows you to use a 32" if you get up to big wood. It's a run all day, every day pro kind of saw and good used ones are plentiful. Parts are also plentiful and you can keep one running for decades. Info on upgrading/modifying then is plentiful. There are reasons why it is ONE OF the most popular saws ever made. Then there is the Stihl 462 that is actually in the 13 pound weight class. Don't own one but have used a friend's. Dadgum FINE saw too! I just happen to be a Chevy/Husqvarna kind of guy.

You cutting any mesquite?

your power lineup
30cc
42cc
50cc
60cc or 70cc new saw

Give me the bigger power increase. But I face larger (maybe harder too) wood, so I could be skewed in my thinking.

Echo 620 with a 24” bar would handle everything you’ve mentioned & give you some growing room at a price point between a CS-590 & a MS362.

I’ve got a newer 362 & I like it, but I also get that you don’t want $700 in a saw to cut 3-4 cords a year.

Bonus side:
More saw = more wood. It just happens that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back