Looking to buy a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to add if you get it on an "Echo day" sale they are just over $320 US

That's a deal, thats hard to say no to. After reading your post, I looked it up. Sure enough, there's a one day sale tomorrow, about 45 minutes away. Called the store, the guy said to come on in. Said he'd honor that price today! Thinking I might take a ride over there this afternoon.

i have a 261c with 16' bar and regularly use it to cut 12-20' spruce, fir and ash along with some willow and hawthorn. Its a great saw and you could put an 18' bar on it if need be, not terribly expensive either but if budget is really an issue then i would probably go with the ecco cs590.
ms362 is good from what i hear but pricey, same for the 462

The Echo is certainly not as fancy as the Stihl ( nor as smooth or as powerful at the upper end of revs), but it is smooth enough and has delicious torque in the mid. It also handles decently, nearly the equal to the Stihl in that department. For 320 bones it is a steal for a brand new 60cc saw. You won’t miss the Stihl with all that money saved, imo.

A touch of grease and an O ring will seal up the intake nicely.

The limiter caps will have to be pulled and a light muffler mod is a nice touch for flow.

The Echo is a little plasticy feeling at first, but you’ll soon get over that. The saw fits together really well, so there is no finigilling about trying to put on covers and such.

The front handle is too slippery for me, so I just friction-taped mine. Fixed.

There is no way on earth a Stihl 362 is worth more than twice as much money as an Echo 590, imo.

Echo prices are creeping up fast in Canada, so eventually resale will be ok too.

PS, Don’t overlook the cs620 if you can get that for a reasonable upcharge over the 590...

I am a very happy 562XP owner but the Echo 590 for $320 sure would be tempting if I was looking for another saw.

What cc?

I gave my two sons chain saws. They have most of the different cc’s covered for now. When I gave them each a husky 570 it seems there mainly running there 570’s now.
I recently gave my oldest son a jred 910e 86cc. I told him to take it easy for a while.
My point is that around 70 cc is a good addition for an experienced cutter.

My sons girlfriend the cutest tomboy ran my husky 394xp no problem. But she kicked butt on her kx 100 dirtbike too. She was awesome.

I would of chased this gal to the ends of the earth if I was him. Unfortunately she passed away from brain cancer. That sucks she would fit right in with the family.
She was pretty in a gown too as well as dirtbike gear.

Bill, Sorry to hear of her loss, my Wife's Family had a rough year last, we lost a Brother in Law, that we were very close to in September, and Her Father in Early December, I Loved my FIL, Dearly, I still can't believe they are both gone sometimes.

All you can do is be Thankful for the Time that you did have with them.

Doug :cheers:

I’m the last one in my family that’s left. Everyone has moved on. My three brothers are waiting for me in the next life.

I’m the last one in my family that’s left. Everyone has moved on. My three brothers are waiting for me in the next life.

I'm only 53, and I still have both of my Parents, and both of my Sisters, but all my Grand Parents are gone, as are all 3 of my Dad's Brothers, and one of my Mom's Brothers, but I have a mess of Nieces and Nephews plus a Growing collection of Grand Kids:)

I have the 261c, 290 and the 362. My go to saw is the 261c. All my saws sport a 20'' bar and I have a 24'' for the 362 but I almost never use it. I prefer a 20'' bar over any other size. The 261c has more power then the 290 and is lighter and easier to start and sips fuel. It cuts just as fast as both the 290 or the 362. I love the 261c and is noticeably lighter witch keeps me cutting longer because it's easier on my back.

So, Would a 266XP be considered a 60cc Class saw, or an Honorary 70 cc Class saw? :confused:

I have wondered about this for quite awhile, at 66.7cc, it is much closer to 70cc, than 60cc, and everyone seems to group saws in 10cc classes, so what do you all consider a 266XP, 60cc or 70cc?:confused:

For almost a quarter century, my 266XP and 23 Compact (38cc) Top Handle were a Very adequate 2 saw plan, for me.:):)

THEN, I found AS, and contracted an INCURABLE case of CAD, and CSMAD.:eek::surprised3::)

Back