Looking to buy a saw in 3-6 months, suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw suggestions

• 372xp

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • 385xp

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 288xp

• 395xp

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Larger than 95cc

• Stihl of some sort

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters
I've heard that Huskies are good, but Stihls are better. :innocent:

Your hearing must be Dyslexic, it is Stihls are Good, Husky's are the BEST ;):):yes:

I Really Like MY Huskys, but I will admit that Stihl makes a Great saw too

I have heard RUMORS in Dark Alleys, that there are OTHER saws out there, some that don't even have ANY Orange on them, but I'm sure that's just Hersey and Blasphemy ;)

But ALL Orange, is the Best bet in Chainsaws:yes:

Doug :cheers:

Well I was cutting that tree down. So I certainly wasn’t in a hurry. It was one of the largest I ever cut down. It was actually running it well enough. I don’t need a bar that long all that often. I guess what I’m trying to say is for a job here and there it worked well. A 372 may do even better. I’d use that setup again in a pinch. At the time the 272 was the largest saw I had.
Yeah fair enough, I think that I’d be running a 24-28 inch most of the time anyway

My daily use saw is a 372 with a 28" tsumara. I run skip on it and have no problems with it in hardwood buried the odd tree I get over 28". With a muffler mod, properly tunef, sharp chain and not too aggressive depth gauges you should be fine. If your wood is consistently above 30" and hardwood you might want to look at going to a 390. The big thing is keeping your chain sharp and your depth gauges set so they don't over work the saw.
Yeah that’s not a bad set up, I’ve heard that the tsumara bars are good! The most common length of log for me would be around 18” although I’ve had the 18” bar on my 450 buried and I had to hit the round off with an axe because it didn’t quite reach,

If Huskies are good, and Stihls are better, that must mean that Dolmars are BEST!!! :happybanana:
I actually considered buying a dolmar, I’ve only heard good with them

If you are not afraid of the new autotune / m-tronic saws and 6 months is the time frame; why not consider a 572xp or MS462?

I don’t really like the sound of auto tune and I don’t know what m-tronic is but I’m guessing the same, I’ve only heard bad things with auto tune saws

You've been getting by with a 450, so a 372xp will be a big step up. The 385 or 390 may be better at milling but for versatility that 372 will be hard to beat.

Yeah that’s actually very true mate, I’m after a versatile saw

I’ve found a husqvarna 570 (non auto-tune), has anyone had any experience? I would of liked an XP though?
Personally I'd wait for a different model especially with the demands on them in your hardwoods. The 570/575 had issues with the crank bearings/seals particularly on the clutch side, they gained a bad name because of that, and are one of the main reasons the 372 gained legend status (prior models to a failed one always does).
I would by a model that is more sought after so if you decide to change things up down the road you will have no problem selling it.
The best saw in the 570/575 class is the 576 and the bottom ends are very good as are the antivibe characteristics, but they are a bit heavier than the 372. They do have great torque for running longer bars if needed, but if the majority of your cutting is 18 or less the only gain would be in durability over the 372.
These are my thoughts based on what I've experienced, but I don't have to cut wood as hard as yours.
Hope this helps.

Personally I'd wait for a different model especially with the demands on them in your hardwoods. The 570/575 had issues with the crank bearings/seals particularly on the clutch side, they gained a bad name because of that, and are one of the main reasons the 372 gained legend status (prior models to a failed one always does).
I would by a model that is more sought after so if you decide to change things up down the road you will have no problem selling it.
The best saw in the 570/575 class is the 576 and the bottom ends are very good as are the antivibe characteristics, but they are a bit heavier than the 372. They do have great torque for running longer bars if needed, but if the majority of your cutting is 18 or less the only gain would be in durability over the 372.
These are my thoughts based on what I've experienced, but I don't have to cut wood as hard as yours.
Hope this helps.

Thank you chipper, that information is very very good to me, I might wait for a 372xp to come around, although I have seen a few 576xp’s around and some 575’s too they are all autotune, I don’t really like the idea of it because it sounds like something that can go really bad when it does, and also because I haven’t heard much good about them

Hope this helps.

What he said! In that range of saw, I would opt for the Husky 372 and up from that the 395. You are better off looking at other brands/models than buying a Husky saw you can't rely on. I'd look for a 7900/7910 and 9010 Dolmar or Stihl MS460/461 or MS660/661. Since you don't like the Auto-Tune, you can opt for the 79XX, 9010, 460 and 660--all are really, really sound saws and you won't be disappointed. And, they are sought after, where as I've noticed when you ask a question about a 5-series Husky, you get a lot of nothing but crickets chirping.

Yeah fair enough, I think that I’d be running a 24-28 inch most of the time anyway

Yeah that’s not a bad set up, I’ve heard that the tsumara bars are good! The most common length of log for me would be around 18” although I’ve had the 18” bar on my 450 buried and I had to hit the round off with an axe because it didn’t quite reach,

I actually considered buying a dolmar, I’ve only heard good with them

I don’t really like the sound of auto tune and I don’t know what m-tronic is but I’m guessing the same, I’ve only heard bad things with auto tune saws

Yeah that’s actually very true mate, I’m after a versatile saw
If your running in primarily 18-20" wood 372xp with a light weight 24" bar would probably be a perfect combo for you. Not too heavy to lug around or limb wirh, but enough grunt to manage bigger wood if you need to with cuts from both sides

Back