Chainsaw for cutting lots of firewood preferably under $300?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't agree on the Chinese saws, with the caveat that I've never owned one. Just about every thread about them here on AS talks about happy owners......who have had to replace half a dozen parts within the first couple hours of running, just to make the saw usable. If those people are happy with that level of service, then fantastic. Farmertech sold a saw so they're happy, the customer got a saw they're happy with at a price they're happy with, win win situation.

I just wouldn't be happy, and would rather pay more and buy a good used or a new name brand saw.

No disagreement there. I have a G660 and like it, but yes I had to replace some parts right off the bat. I was in a pinch and needed a big saw to run a 42" bar with full skip chain ASAP. I had a 6' oak that I had dropped in the back yard while the ground was frozen when my 064 seized up (my fault). I had the G660 powerhead to my door in 2 business days for $321. I've put closer to $100 worth of parts in it, but the bulk of that was for upgrades that I wanted for running the 42" bar. Those included a dual port muffler and hi-output oil pump. Take those items out, and my added cost was more like an extra $30. It is frustrating to have to put money and time into a brand new tool to make it usable, but I wouldn't expect anything different if I'm paying $300 for a new saw that would have been over $1,000 when Stihl made it. Last summer I put roughly 7 gal of fuel through the saw. Most of it was while running the big bar on that oak tree on days that were over 95 degrees. The saw never missed a lick. Starts good, runs strong. It normally wears a 28" bar with a 404 full comp chain. I like it well enough that if I have to replace one of my 036 saws, I'll probably try the Farmertech instead of trying to find another used saw. I really wish the 036 clone didn't have the flippy caps... LOL

You might be able to still get a Husqvarna 350 for under $300. I have a pair and both run really well. My 353 that I really like and use today is shown here:
1684882081060.jpegPound for pound, these saws perform very well with an 18" bar that makes them ideal for lots or firewood cutting.

If you're selling 20" loops of Stihl RSC chain for anywhere near $24, send me a PM and let me know what you're selling 18" loops of .325 x .062 for and what it would cost to ship them to Indiana. I don't currently need any, but I'll stock up at that price. I'm not calling BS, I'm serious. I will gladly order chains from you.
Sorry, don't ship. Make all of our chains off the roll. I understand if they are boxed chain. I don't know how you could stock all the different chain types and sizes. At least 12 different rolls on the bench plus others in stock. Up until 10 years ago it was buck a bar inch. Inflation.
Usually do not stock safety chain and very little micro in .325 and 3/8. 1 roll of 3/8 for the muddy logs.
Now if we could speed up the automatic chain sharpening. At least a hundred waiting every day now. We do OK for 2 guys running a hardware.

Sorry, don't ship. Make all of our chains off the roll. I understand if they are boxed chain. I don't know how you could stock all the different chain types and sizes. At least 12 different rolls on the bench plus others in stock. Up until 10 years ago it was buck a bar inch. Inflation.
Usually do not stock safety chain and very little micro in .325 and 3/8. 1 roll of 3/8 for the muddy logs.
Now if we could speed up the automatic chain sharpening. At least a hundred waiting every day now. We do OK for 2 guys running a hardware.
I really don't understand why a legitimate dealer would stock the boxed chains for the same reason you've mentioned. That's a lot of $$ sitting there in the display hoping someone will buy it. I can understand some of the very common sizes I guess, but it still seems more cost effective to buy it by the roll and build them as needed. Not like it takes that long. Worse yet, I don't think I've ever found a dealer that buys Stihl chain by the roll. Everything I've seen on the roll is Oregon. Oregon works, but I get noticeably more life out of Stihl chain which means I'm stuck paying by-the-box prices.

I sharpen by hand after every 1 or 2 tanks of fuel. 100 per day makes my hands sore just thinking about it :)

I really don't understand why a legitimate dealer would stock the boxed chains for the same reason you've mentioned. That's a lot of $$ sitting there in the display hoping someone will buy it. I can understand some of the very common sizes I guess, but it still seems more cost effective to buy it by the roll and build them as needed. Not like it takes that long. Worse yet, I don't think I've ever found a dealer that buys Stihl chain by the roll. Everything I've seen on the roll is Oregon. Oregon works, but I get noticeably more life out of Stihl chain which means I'm stuck paying by-the-box prices.

I sharpen by hand after every 1 or 2 tanks of fuel. 100 per day makes my hands sore just thinking about it :)

My preferred Stihl dealer just can't get Stihl chain by the roll. All on back order, and for who knows how long.

Last chains I bought, he was sorry he could only offer Stihl chains by the box, and had to order them. He could make me Oregon or some other brand I don't remember right then and there, but I'd rather have Stihl and wasn't in any hurry.

It's hard to find a dealer around here who will spin up a loop off a roll. Typically the normal home owner sizes and whatever the average tree guy needs are stocked in boxes. It's arguably easier to buy off the internet. I've fought with one local dealer that I wanted yellow label rs and not the green label stihl chain and yes its avaliable in loops for 24" (25" in a stihls imagination), let alone trying to convince anyone to stock or even order 36" chains. Let alone asking what the price is on .050 or .063 3/8" rs on a roll. Like I'm speaking Greek. I don't even bother to ask about .404 even though I only have one saw set up for it. The new husqy chain has been great, and easy to get on the internet in whatever loops I want, compares to stihl chain very well.
I'm moat bummed my closest dealer got bought out by another company and they are completely dropping stihl and husqvarna. Some stupid off name tractor company brandford or something. Like a kubota knock off just red.
Anyway end rant....

It's hard to find a dealer around here who will spin up a loop off a roll. Typically the normal home owner sizes and whatever the average tree guy needs are stocked in boxes. It's arguably easier to buy off the internet. I've fought with one local dealer that I wanted yellow label rs and not the green label stihl chain and yes its avaliable in loops for 24" (25" in a stihls imagination), let alone trying to convince anyone to stock or even order 36" chains. Let alone asking what the price is on .050 or .063 3/8" rs on a roll. Like I'm speaking Greek. I don't even bother to ask about .404 even though I only have one saw set up for it. The new husqy chain has been great, and easy to get on the internet in whatever loops I want, compares to stihl chain very well.
I'm moat bummed my closest dealer got bought out by another company and they are completely dropping stihl and husqvarna. Some stupid off name tractor company brandford or something. Like a kubota knock off just red.
Anyway end rant....
I'll keep that in mind on the Husqui chain. I always keep my eye open for a 28" loop of 404. Last one I bought used what was left of the last roll.

I'm in search of a new chainsaw for cutting firewood I cut a mix of hard and softwoods usually whatever falls on somebody's property after storms

Occasionally I get asked to drop small trees in my area but usually nothing more than 8 to 10 inches in diameter and almost always simply cedar trees

For the last 2 years I've used a Chinese 62cc saw with a 20 inch bar Wemars?

One of the options I've been looking at is a factory reconditioned Husqvarna rancher 450 which I can get for about $300

But the 62cc Wemars China saw has performed really well when you consider the amount of abuse that I put it through

Part of me thanks that it might make sense just to get another saw that I know, hell they're only $150 maybe I buy two?

The other part of me thinks there might be some value in getting a higher quality saw even if I have to buy reconditioned

Or maybe some of you guys are using China saws and can speak to that.. any thoughts would be appreciated
This is not condoning those China saws, I’m just going off what I have seen and testimony from others I have spoken to…but those Chinese chainsaws that are being cranked out today seem like for the most part they are doing ok and their durability and robustness is improving. I started seeing larger cc brush cutters and chainsaws from China on eBay and Amazon back in the early 2010’s and there were a lot of complaints about their overall quality and lack in performance. But fast forward to now, they have apparently cleaned up a good deal of their flaws because I’m seeing more and more people who are satisfied with them. Even people tricking them out and turning them into race saws and hot rods. I still would prefer an established brand with a reputable name behind it like a real Husky or a real Stihl or Echo. Makita/Dolmar are making some fabulous saws. But if money is the issue, it will definitely be a challenge find something worthy but it definitely is possible. Just be patient and watch all the listings and offers on the internet, as well as local ads. Something will come around.

This is not condoning those China saws, I’m just going off what I have seen and testimony from others I have spoken to…but those Chinese chainsaws that are being cranked out today seem like for the most part they are doing ok and their durability and robustness is improving. I started seeing larger cc brush cutters and chainsaws from China on eBay and Amazon back in the early 2010’s and there were a lot of complaints about their overall quality and lack in performance. But fast forward to now, they have apparently cleaned up a good deal of their flaws because I’m seeing more and more people who are satisfied with them. Even people tricking them out and turning them into race saws and hot rods. I still would prefer an established brand with a reputable name behind it like a real Husky or a real Stihl or Echo. Makita/Dolmar are making some fabulous saws. But if money is the issue, it will definitely be a challenge find something worthy but it definitely is possible. Just be patient and watch all the listings and offers on the internet, as well as local ads. Something will come around.
The thing I've noticed about the positive comments on the Chinese saws is that they are all focused on the saws that are clones (Stihl and Husqvarna), AND the bigger CC saws seem to have a better reputation than the smaller ones. That's not to say the small ones are bad. I just don't find much written about them. On the 70cc, 90cc, 100cc, and 120cc stuff, they do pretty good once you get them lined out. They are holding up in milling applications which is pretty hard on a saw. That's what convinced me to give one a try. If I can ever get some money saved up, I'd like to try a G366 next.

Neotec 843... covered this elsewhere. Not impressed, and toted to be one of the better clone brands. Genuine zenoah/husqvarna cylinder for comparison. Only good thing I can say is it was cheap, and runs reasonably well vs my gz4000 once I fixed the cylinder and intake gasket. FYI the intake gasket leaked like crazy as well.

Attachments

• 20230312_153244.jpg
    20230312_153244.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230312_154924.jpg
    20230312_154924.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230312_153255.jpg
    20230312_153255.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230312_153250.jpg
    20230312_153250.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
This is not condoning those China saws, I’m just going off what I have seen and testimony from others I have spoken to…but those Chinese chainsaws that are being cranked out today seem like for the most part they are doing ok and their durability and robustness is improving. I started seeing larger cc brush cutters and chainsaws from China on eBay and Amazon back in the early 2010’s and there were a lot of complaints about their overall quality and lack in performance. But fast forward to now, they have apparently cleaned up a good deal of their flaws because I’m seeing more and more people who are satisfied with them. Even people tricking them out and turning them into race saws and hot rods. I still would prefer an established brand with a reputable name behind it like a real Husky or a real Stihl or Echo. Makita/Dolmar are making some fabulous saws. But if money is the issue, it will definitely be a challenge find something worthy but it definitely is possible. Just be patient and watch all the listings and offers on the internet, as well as local ads. Something will

You don't really cut much, and from the sounds of it any decent 50cc saw should work just fine. I prefer a husqy or stihl, but echo makes some fine options that are cheaper but quality built.
I agree with this. I LOVE my 50cc. Iv only got 4 saws left. 1 big one for milling so it doesn’t really count as a firewood saw except the really rare occasion that I may need the size. 50cc, 80cc, 85cc, 120cc

The 50cc with an 18” bar get 90% of the work even if I need to make a few cuts from both sides. Just so much easier to tote around a smaller saw all day. Cut anything from tiny stuff up to 30” stuff with the little 50cc if I can.

I'm in the same boat but I do prefer my 60cc saws for most of my work. They are a little heavier, but I'm normally bucking stuff that's 12" to 24" in diameter (mostly hickory). I keep my drag links set low to make use of the extra HP/Torque and a 60cc saw gets through it a lot faster. Having said that, I'm running older saws (026, 036, 066). If I were running newer saws, I'd probably pick up a 261 with an 18" bar every time and skip the 60cc class all together.

I’m kicking it old school too. Nothing wrong with it either. Just have to be extra careful. I’ve got a Stihl 041 and a 041 Super that seem like they were Taylor made for moderate to large firewood. Fine old saws. I do wish they were a few pounds lighter for what they are, but I’ve handled many saws that were way worse off as far as weight to capability ratios. My Poulan 245A saws seem to do very well on literally any firewood I’ve thrown at them. They seem to hold their own very well compared to quite a few newer saws in the 60 to low 70cc class despite their obsolescence.

Latest posts

Back