looking to buy an owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinful

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys well heres my deal just built a new house, unfortunantly the only fuel available in my area is propane (2.29$ gal)Ive been thinking about getting an owb for some time as the propane is killing me.I would like to get one this summer and install it when its nice out,and hopefully ill have more $$$ to do it with then.Problem is I know nothing about them really only what ive read. Just looking for some insight from people that know and use them already.
thanks,Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
owb

Hi there, i have a owb and i love is as does my wife. We heat our entire home with it and our domestic hot water. I am not sure if i can tell you the name of it b/c i am new to this forum. the thing i like most about it... well there is a lot i like about it, but most of all is that all the mess, smoke, ashes stay outside. the only thing i would consider is that it does smoke some at start up. not sure of you location, but if you live in the city or subdivision, you might want to check local ordinances. I have a Hardy Heater H2 i have had if for 3 years and love it.

Last edited:
There are tons and tons of threads on outdoor wood burners and lots of good advice. I have a Woodmaster 5500 and have been very happy with it for the last 8 years. However there are many good manufacturers out there and a bunch of poor ones. Use the search function on the top of the page and begin your research there. Also don't forget to do your homework on how much wood you are going to need (it's a lot).

The whole process is really very simple. Hot water being pumped underground in insulated pipe to heat exchangers in your house. You take the heat out and the water returns to the stove (this is the very very simplified version. Good luck. Don't be afraid to ask questions once you get aclimated with the things.

if you want to use less wood than an OWB,look at this

http://garn.com/

the system holds twice the water as most OWB which translates to longer heat storage.it uses a crap load less wood.

most people also buy too big of an OWB.CB dealer hears pushes the 3rd model very hard.if you don't need that big of a unit,you will waste A LOT of wood.

only benefit of the bigger boiler is the door size.

watch the video on the Garn site.it's pretty interesting.especially not having to have a stack or have it outside for prying eyes.

Last edited:
Know up front that OWB's burn a lot of wood dose'nt matter what brand OWB. Either have a free or realy cheap source of wood and be prepared for the work and dedication it takes to process this much wood. An Owb will do the job but there ain't no free ride you pay one way or another.

I like cutting wood

If you don't, then do not buy an OWB. I heat a 4800 sq/ft home and do domestic hot water as well. I have a Central Boiler 5036 and think it it the best thing since sliced bread....Soup to nuts it was about $8K. Less than a 2 year payback with today's oil prices. Figure on an AVERAGE of a full cord a month from Oct-May. Many variables will come into this: Insulation, Sq. footage, Double-pane windows?, Existing heating system set-up, Wood quality (hard vs. soft). I save a LOT of wood by using set-back (timed) T-stats. My 1st floor kicks back to 50F at 6:30 PM and goes back to 68 at 7AM...in effect I am not heating 1/2 my house for half the day. PLan on tending to your OWB 2 times a day during heating season. You will get 2-3 days when heat is off and making DHW only. The biggest factor in wood consumption however is outdoor temp. Right now it is 59F and I used little if any wood last night. Two days ago it was 9F and it was burning 15-20 pieces a day (pieces -> Oak 8" x 20" approx). Read the threads there is litteraly thousands of years of combined experience here to help you. Welcome to AS:clap:

Lots of variables.. your financial situation, payback period, where you live, etc .etc the next generation of wood stoves, perhaps by next year, certainly by 2010 will have much needed improvements as well as longer and cleaner burn times. I honestly believe there will be a surplus in the near future. With the economy in the toilet I see companies scaling way back on production. That and the commitment needed to furnish 10 plus cords ( give or take a bit ) will make a lot of people rethink the process.

That said I have a Shaver 165 and am happy to be off the oil grid. Just be sure you can do the work ( I don't really consider it work but some probably do, I enjoy the outdoors and fresh air ) that you don't end up disappointed with your purchase. Good luck.. :cheers:

Welcome. I'm in my first year with a CB5036, love it to pieces so far, welder and scooter said it well...having an indoor or OWB, or a gasification boiler, is sorta dedicating mucho time to..design. set-up, wood processing. plus the unformentioned affliction:

C.A.D

It strikes the majority of us...the first new saw, then the second....

Good luck in your journey. lotsa smart fellers on here with experience and advice. Start with needs/goals. Do a heat loss on your home, figure your DHW demand if you are doing that too, if you are doing HX's in duct or something else. Don't let anyone try to size a boiler based on sq. ft. of house! If your doors/windows/insulation are lacking, upgrade those first.

:sword:

Check Out Gasification Boilers

If you're going to drop the amount of coin that it takes for an OWB I would seriously look into a gasification boiler. I was in the same boat as you with building a new house and looking to what my options were for convenient wood heat. I was just about ready to purchase an OWB when I learned about gasification boilers. After researching and researching some more I decided to go with a "gasifier" due to the increased efficiency (burn less wood) and lower emissions.

A couple brands to look at are EKO & Tarm.

If you're going to drop the amount of coin that it takes for an OWB I would seriously look into a gasification boiler. I was in the same boat as you with building a new house and looking to what my options were for convenient wood heat. I was just about ready to purchase an OWB when I learned about gasification boilers. After researching and researching some more I decided to go with a "gasifier" due to the increased efficiency (burn less wood) and lower emissions.

A couple brands to look at are EKO & Tarm.

Nice choice, did you put heat storage in with the install or do you have it now?

I have a brand new house as well and I have a Heatmor. I love being toasty warm at 75 in my house and I fill mine about 3 times in 2 days right now with this cold weather.

As I say "A OWB is a lifestyle" Another words you need to like cutting, splitting and stacking wood and lots of it. You will also find yourself buying more "wood processing" equipment. My boiler set up cost about 8k but with all the saws, truck, trailer and wood shed it adds up quick.

As I say "A OWB is a lifestyle" Another words you need to like cutting, splitting and stacking wood and lots of it. You will also find yourself buying more "wood processing" equipment. My boiler set up cost about 8k but with all the saws, truck, trailer and wood shed it adds up quick.

Yep. I could use a new saw (or two, at least), a splitter, a trailer, a newer/bigger pickup, maybe a new tractor. Yep, I can easily set myself back another $40K-$50K.

I'll never break even...

:greenchainsaw:

Yep. I could use a new saw (or two, at least), a splitter, a trailer, a newer/bigger pickup, maybe a new tractor. Yep, I can easily set myself back another $40K-$50K.

I'll never break even...

:greenchainsaw:

Yup but at least that money isnt going to the Middle East...

I have a CB 5648. It heats a 4300 sf house only, but I have a 1700 sf shop and possibly a swimming pool planned for future connection. It's too big for the house alone.

As it has been said, OWB is a lifestyle. You need to like cutting, splitting, stacking, hauling wood. You need to like or at least tolerate big stacks of wood in your yard or the woodshed and hope that your family does too. I just got done building a 6-cord-capacity woodshed next to my boiler and it has been the single-best thing I have done for myself since the boiler was installed. Dry split hardwood burns best.

If I were to do it all over, I'd probably go with the new CB model, the E2300 (?) or a gasification boiler in it's own little building. The OWB, even outside, is messy, smoky and smelly. I get along with that, though. It's also a big bonus not having to pay someone to deliver oil or propane - that money saved, even if it's a couple hundred bucks a year, is going to buy new equipment or fun stuff for the family, not in some oil company's pocket. I built the cost of the OWB right into my house (new house started right off with an OWB as the primary heat source) so there's no "payback" to speak of - that was simply the cost of the heating system. I don't know the true value of what I'm saving by heating with wood, but it's enough to know that writing a thousand-dollar check to the propane supplier three or four times a year is not going to happen, and that's enough value all by itself.

well said!

I have a CB 5648. It heats a 4300 sf house only, but I have a 1700 sf shop and possibly a swimming pool planned for future connection. It's too big for the house alone.

As it has been said, OWB is a lifestyle. You need to like cutting, splitting, stacking, hauling wood. You need to like or at least tolerate big stacks of wood in your yard or the woodshed and hope that your family does too. I just got done building a 6-cord-capacity woodshed next to my boiler and it has been the single-best thing I have done for myself since the boiler was installed. Dry split hardwood burns best.

If I were to do it all over, I'd probably go with the new CB model, the E2300 (?) or a gasification boiler in it's own little building. The OWB, even outside, is messy, smoky and smelly. I get along with that, though. It's also a big bonus not having to pay someone to deliver oil or propane - that money saved, even if it's a couple hundred bucks a year, is going to buy new equipment or fun stuff for the family, not in some oil company's pocket. I built the cost of the OWB right into my house (new house started right off with an OWB as the primary heat source) so there's no "payback" to speak of - that was simply the cost of the heating system. I don't know the true value of what I'm saving by heating with wood, but it's enough to know that writing a thousand-dollar check to the propane supplier three or four times a year is not going to happen, and that's enough value all by itself.

You are doing what I wish I did when I built my house. It took me 4 years to realize all my free heat was standing (and lying dead) on my property. That wood combined with some tree companies dumping off at my property and some hard work have yeilded 3-4 years supply of heat and DHW for me (I prepared 2+ years worth this Summer alone.):chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Use the search function you will find more than you probably care to know. Here is another site that will provide you w/ a myriad of information on OWB's and gassifiers.http://**********/
Just remember some of us are very warped and think that cutting 10-12 cords of wood...adding wood to an OWB twice a day is FUN. Far from free but enjoyable.

outdoor boiler

hey guys well heres my deal just built a new house, unfortunantly the only fuel available in my area is propane (2.29$ gal)Ive been thinking about getting an owb for some time as the propane is killing me.I would like to get one this summer and install it when its nice out,and hopefully ill have more $$$ to do it with then.Problem is I know nothing about them really only what ive read. Just looking for some insight from people that know and use them already.
thanks,Matt

Greetings,

After seeing your posting from my corner of the frozen eastern wilderness @1140 feet above mean sea level I decided to reply.

I too have been debating the issue with much research, travel to a local evergreen dealer, dealing with an old home that is poorly insulated, owning a 26 year old coal, wood boiler still in good condition with a small water 26 gallon pressurised supply, etc. These are conclusions I have come up with due to a number of factors.

A small boiler like an HS Tarm dual fuel or a small Harmon wood coal unit would be the unit of choice; please allow me explain further.

Having a very small boiler with a forced draft of any size is key to the problem of high efficiency simply as a small boiler can be operated flat out with a full fire box of wood or coal as all the fuel will be burned at the stoves maximum efficiency-discounting wet or green wood.

A small boiler with a small fire box at first look may seem foolish but:

If one were to purchase a pair of 1,550-gallon insulated storage tanks from HS Tarm it would allow you to 3,000-gallons of water through the single loop passing through both storage tanks heating the three thousand gallons creating a huge thermal mass of energy to be used later for a domestic heat exchager and hydronic heating.

A one car garage would be large enough for the wood-oil, wood-gas, multifuel 140-50,000 btu boilers they offer.

The more water storage(thermal mass) you have the more efficient your system becomes simply from heating all the water at once so you could have
a fire once a day or once a week depending on your useage winter-summer.

Adding a second heat exchager to absorb the heat coming out of th estack will give you even more useable heat energy to heat the thermal mass of water if you have storage.

The items mentioned above do not discount the use of a very small hot fire in a bigger outdoor boiler with forced draft and its available thermal mass as well.

I was told by the evergreen dealer I should at least buy a boiler double the size of my needs simply from the stand point of thermal mass and the advantages of a small fire in a bigger boiler with a larger surface area to absorb more heat.

The added advantages are simply from larger themal mass and more water;

This can be further improved by adding water storage for heat and domestic water use as well.

the problem is not a hard one to solve but buying a larger boiler can be very advantageos as stated above simply from gains of thermal mass storage.

leon:cheers: :givebeer: :agree2: :chainsaw:

Last edited:
you must also name your OWB mine is named freddy, i'll evplain.
i built nes house started spring 2001, finished (well never really finished) fall of 2002, house is 5600 sq. ft. attached is 30x 62 heated garage, while building i still had'nt decided on how i was gonna heat it, my brother in law is a real good hvac guy so he almost had me convinced into installing 4 gas/hot air furnaces...
i talked to the guy down the street about his OWB and told him i did'nt want one cause what if i wanna go away ?? he informed me that this company (i duuno if i can mention em???) made a multifuel unit with seperate combustion chamber for the backup oil or gas.....started some research and i was hooked on the radient heat idea, and a can really say i love it........
so anyway, when i told my BIL about what i decided, he said " your gonna build a huge, brand new house and yer gonna put Fred Flintstone heat in it ?? ".... so thats how it got the name, my buddy installed a smaller one, same brand last year, we named his Barney......
i like messing with the stove, saws, spitter, backhoe ect. if you don't like doing any one of those things then an OWB is not for you ...

Latest posts

Back