Looking to buy used MS361. Help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A31unit

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy this saw locally. Comes with 4 chains the 20" bar, some oil, and looks like an ES bar of some length?? He says it's a 25". Looks pretty clean and the owner claims 8-10 tanks through it since new. I'm not so sure judging by the shape of that bar it's wearing. He is asking $650 for everything. I think that's high. What do you think?
What should I look for?? I don't have the gauge to do a compression test. Any advice would be appreciated.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The saw new probably cost about $600 with a 20" b/c. The bar on the saw shows more wear than I would expect on 10 tanks of fuel. If the chains are new, they are probably worth at least $80 and the bar that is on the table is probably worth 50-60 dollars. I am not sure how much the mix would be worth. If you don't have a gauge, you should at least try cranking it and cutting some with it.

Thanks for the replies. I know this is regarded as an excellent machine and I don't think the seller will come down near enough. For a hundred or so more I can just get a 362c with a 4 year warranty

I paid $600 for a new ms361 with a 20” bar. Biggest piece of junk I have ever bought. That stupid saw was flood city and it can’t get out of its own way. Very quiet saw though. I think I paid $650 for my 562xp with a 20” prolite bar. You can believe the lie on the husky. It is a very angry saw.

On the spare ES bar, the spacing from the lettering to the sprocket appears close to my 25" bar, which isn't going to work with a 60cc saw. No telling if the chains will fit the 20" bar, which looks like it's seen better days. Too much money for that model saw that I've seen listed for $500 or so.

Thanks for the replies. I know this is regarded as an excellent machine and I don't think the seller will come down near enough. For a hundred or so more I can just get a 362c with a 4 year warranty

The warranty on any Stihl gas chainsaw is one year for non income producing use, so if you were able to double the warranty purchasing Stihl oil or moto mix at the time of purchase, the warranty would be 2 years.

The warranty on any Stihl gas chainsaw is one year for non income producing use, so if you were able to double the warranty purchasing Stihl oil or moto mix at the time of purchase, the warranty would be 2 years.

Homeowner and farm saws ( 271 291, 391 ) 1 year standard 2 if you buy the oil 6 pack or motomix.
All pro saws 1 year for homeowners 90 days for pros.. Top handle saws 90 days.

The 361 is indeed a very nice saw. Truth is even though it hasn't been used much it's still an older saw. I'd personally pass, or offer him $400. I mean a new Echo cs-590 is $400 new, and every bit the saw the 361 is, all be it with a bit more weight.

:)

I had a ms361 with a 20 inch bar and it wore me out being front heavy always tilting to the front unless I was cutting. Sold it and purchased a ms440. The 440 was a bit heaver but less wear on the operator with a perfect balance and faster cutting.

I had a ms361 with a 20 inch bar and it wore me out being front heavy always tilting to the front unless I was cutting. Sold it and purchased a ms440. The 440 was a bit heaver but less wear on the operator with a perfect balance and faster cutting.
Agree. I think there are better options for the money than this particular MS361. For instance, $400 for a low-hour MS440 w/20" bar. Nice balance:
MS440_Balance.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! You could balance the 440 with a finger and the 361 would do a nose dive with a 20 inch bar.

I was at Rural King farm store yesterday looking at the new Stihl saws and have to tell you that I would buy a brand new Stihl rather than pay a high price for a used one. I've seen used 390 Stihls in the $400 range on ebay and that's close to the price of a brand new one with the above mentioned warranty.

I stand corrected 2 year warranty on the saws. Bought a backpack blower from Stihl and warranty is 2yr and 4 with the oil. Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna pass on this particular saw

Great saw with great extras. For $200 too much. It will never sell for that. $450 is avg.
+1. I'd say no more than $500 and only that amount because of all the goodies that he has along with it. They do tend to flood easily. I have to remember never to accidentally choke it when warm. No one seems to know what causes that.

On the other hand, I have been told here that any used Stihl saw in good running condition is worth the price that the owner paid for it. The depreciation rate of the saw is the same rate as the dollar's inflation rate. Just knock off the sales tax.

Latest posts

Back