Looking to cut firewood in Norfolk, UK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've just moved to a village (New Buckenham) near Norwich (UK). The house has an open fireplace and a wood stove. I really want to heat with wood but can't handle paying someone to do the wood cutting for me.

I've tried asking some local farmers (not much wood) and landowners (don't want me cutting because others might follow suit) to no avail. Does anybody know of anyone in the area, or any method to finding wood?

Wow....I just did a Google satellite map search on your location, and I don't see very many trees. Lots of fields, but not a lot of woods. Best of luck to you. I have heard about burning certain types of dung, but I have never tried or know anyone who has.

hi harry

i find plenty of wood mainly in the norwich area

theres always plenty of pallets. then there are the builders skips. and after a storm i usually head out of norwich on the cromer road with the chainsaw and tackle anything that looks remotely like its fallen into the road :chainsaw: gotta do ya bit to help get the roads clear for all those commuters :cheers:

o and get yaself a yellow vest for the official look ;) o and it helps if you have a pickup with a Highway Maintenance sticker on the back :D

Last edited:
Wow....I just did a Google satellite map search on your location, and I don't see very many trees. Lots of fields, but not a lot of woods. Best of luck to you. I have heard about burning certain types of dung, but I have never tried or know anyone who has.
well right round here there isn't that much tree coverage. But a short way to the sought there's thetford forest and the forestry commission is pretty active. But they're very officious and control most of the woodland it seems.
hi harry

i find plenty of wood mainly in the norwich area

theres always plenty of pallets. then there are the builders skips. and after a storm i usually head out of norwich on the cromer road with the chainsaw and tackle anything that looks remotely like its fallen into the road :chainsaw: gotta do ya bit to help get the roads clear for all those commuters :cheers:

o and get yaself a yellow vest for the official look ;) o and it helps if you have a pickup with a Highway Maintenance sticker on the back :D
Hmm, I like the storm idea, it just seems a bit funny to be praying for storms! DOn't have a ute (pickup), yet... On the lookout for one. Good one looking official though, shouldn't mean any questions. So you don't have a regualr source?
Nice to find someone else in E.A.!

no, no regular source here harry. but i`m always willing to work for wood if you find something you need a hand with

also try your local freecycle ive had a few decent scores on there www.freecycle.org

No wood

There is always wood out there ,
Think latteraly ,I have a big old tree in my garden , i chop it down ,where do i take the wood ?
OR
If there is a tree that has fallen on the road useually the local council remove it, what happens to that wood ?ask at the local council yard .
OR even
pallets
as was said local skips or do you know a local builder /deveoper they are usually very pleased for someone to come take offcuts pallets cuz they have to pay to rid of them
Try a site or two you wood ( parden the pun ) be very suprised what wastefull sods the really are
OH and a few quid for a beer go's a long long way
don't knock it try it

too true about the council

i pulled up in the middle of the city where the council were just felling an oak

i asked if they could spare some and they let me fill my truck and i mean fill.
then there was the time i passed a building plot and there was a few bits of tree piled outside the gate. so being a little cheeky as i am i sopped and called the fella working on the plot over, and asked if he wanted someone to remove it. he said it was there for his m8`s friend to collect but as its been there a few days if it was still there in the morning i could take it. about 6 trees an old barn and probably 50 pallets later the guys house is only just got the roof on :D

i find i am always surprised at my luck when i just stop and ask 9 times out of 10 i get a good score and often word spreads :D

also its worth asking any tree surgeons you see in the area even if you have to look them up in the phone book and follow them to there job ;)

Hmm can't really help you I have thousands of square km of forest to cut wood in:hmm3grin2orange:But as has been mentioned try asking the Aborists in your area, I have asked a few different guy's and they seem to really like the idea of having a place to dump anything that is too big to chip. Only problem with that is no fun in running my saw's as it would come in firewood length and most would want me to pick it up as I am on the outskirts of the city.
So I might as well drive out to the woods do some fishing or hunting and get a load of wood.
My sister in-law is from the UK and she still cant get over the Mountains and forests and she has lived here almost 40 years!

Call every tree service/arborist, as they often have to pay carting/dumping costs. Take your time and stack neatly, as you can get more in and it wont fall over :dizzy: .

I work for a local authority and was amazed when I first started that they tipped all the cut wood... they don't get a chance much now. anything that comes down the Park guys know that if they leave it and let me know it won't be there long. Last year alone they recon they saved about 2k in tipping cost, and me and 4 other house in our block were toasty hot!!

Back