Looking to get into the world of tree climbing and arboriculture.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good. beat it. you are a waste of oxygen in this world with your sense of entitlement and total disrespect.

and your posts are clearly the work of a troll, I've seen plenty and done it myself.

c,mon troll, keep running your mouth online. :hmm3grin2orange:
you wouldn't last a minute around me.

HAHAHA I love it...Couldn't have said it any better myself...Awesome

Oh boy, here we go.

College doesn't prepare you for anything, it means you are "teachable", not much more anymore.
Once you join the workforce, the employer is going to TELL you how it's done in their world and expect you to be able to keep up and learn it because you could sit down and shut up for four years. You spent four years and umpteen thousands of dollars just so you could prove to a future employer they can teach you, nothing more, nothing less. That's a harsh reality you are about to learn. You are not prepared for anything, sorry.
My wife has an MBA, it got her another $25k a year, nothing more, nothing less.
If you don't want to deal with inbred Jed and rednecks like us, go for the Doctorate, then you can teach the youth of tomorrow how much an education can help them out.
You were disrespectful in your first post saying you wanted to walk in being on top and that since you were 24 you know the ways of the world, that's the way that post came off. If you meant it to or not.

welcome to AS and ignore the folks that give you a hard time
everyone that climbs ... all started somewhere...

it takes a thick skin to stick around... but hey it's all mostly in fun.
AS has the highest traffic on the www for arborists and chainsaw nuts
by the way yours is not the first one of this type post

do these two things first...

1. purchase and read end to end several times
The Tree Climbers Companion - by Jeff Jepson
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17371

2. find a local tree pro to mentor you... ask nicely for help and you will be pleasantly surprised

keeping in mind, no one wants to help someone that's too good to drag brush.

17371_L.jpg

Hey guys!!!!

This has been a pretty good week for me, because I have finally decided what I want to do for a living!!!!

I want to be an arborist/ climber.

I'm 24 years old and have spent the last 4 years stressing over finding a career that would actually excite me, keep me outside and even fulfill my adventurous spirit.

Since I graduated highschool I worked a year as an electricians apprentice, 2 years as a glassblower, another 2 years as a machinist, spent a year hitch hiking around the US, and then spent the last year working as a carpenter/ handyman.
I even managed to earn my Associates in Liberal Arts!!

I guess my curiosity of arboriculture started when I moved to my current location in Cortland, NY. Now I'm an avid rock climber and all around adventurer and Cortland is just plain hilly and full of farmland. To get to the nearest state forest I need to drive half an hour!!! SO what did I do to have some fun? I climbed the maple in our back yard with my ropes and had a blast doing it. I actually suggested that she get the thing cut down since the crotch of it was all rotted out and there was definately some issues in the weight of the branches. .so she hired some tree guys, not sure if they were arborists but this was the first time I actually saw someone climb a tree for work.....too damn cool!

So I want to be a climber, and my question for you guys is....... Are there any schools that focus and specialize in climbing, alongside the science of arboriculture? I may have considered working my way up, starting as a gopher when I was 18, but I'm really not willing to deal with paying my dues as the unskilled new guy, doing the stuff no one else wants to deal with, I mean hell, I'm 24 now!

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Last edited:
TristanD: Knows sweet FA about trees, knows sweet FA about climbing, doesn't want to start at the bottom.

Who raised this ####?

Beowolf: Excellent essay, well written. Brilliant.

I went to a college for climbing instruction, knew zip when I started, pushed every day for more. Along the way they managed to teach me something about trees.

I use about 5% of what they taught me about climbing.

I use about 95% of what they taught me about trees.

What Tristan will never get: When I'm out of the tree, it's a nice perk down to stuff the chipper, rake up.

What I'll never get: A #### who can't even spell "peon".

You know, climbing and cutting trees is not rocket science. I just don't understand the little guy syndrome about how hard it is. Crap just climb it, top it, kill it, buck it, pack it out and haul it away. Now what is so hard about that! Anyone with less than half a brain can do it. Just don't f..k up!

You know, climbing and cutting trees is not rocket science. I just don't understand the little guy syndrome about how hard it is. Crap just climb it, top it, kill it, buck it, pack it out and haul it away. Now what is so hard about that! Anyone with less than half a brain can do it. Just don't f..k up!

I am assuming this post is sarcasm???? I hope so or......you`ll get it worse than the original poster :laugh:

some of the dumbest people I know have a college degree!!! but whats sad is: they think they`re smarter than those without & justify it by telling themselves "I have a Degree" & you dont know what you`re talking about.....

LXT..................

I am assuming this post is sarcasm???? I hope so or......you`ll get it worse than the original poster :laugh:

some of the dumbest people I know have a college degree!!! but whats sad is: they think they`re smarter than those without & justify it by telling themselves "I have a Degree" & you dont know what you`re talking about.....

LXT..................

Very valid point LXT. We have a guy who works here who dropped out of college because it was boring. Yet, he is a Board Certified Master Arborist. Not too shabby!!!:cheers:

I have been told many times by my old ground guy well its not rocket science and he is right its not but its not nearly as easy as I make it look either. Folks that have not climbed don't understand the easier things like going up a tree on spurs is not all that easy at first and depending on lean and tree shape still be a bite some times. I do believe some of us are born for it,some can be taught to do it and some will never learn. I think what alot of young guys don't understand is I have to make all the hard calls and I can not be wrong or it goes real bad. This is very hard work and it does require alot of thinking and bad decisions makers don't last long. After all day in a tree we are only one bad choice away from serious injury so remember that when you are ready to start off at the top. By the way I still drag brush buck logs run lowering lines feed a chipper and grind stumps oh and I am also in charge of all repairs bookkeeping fueling vehicles sharpening chains did I mention I am the climber too. I have had very educated people tell me that was amazing to watch I could never do that. I have no problem with education and I am always trying to learn more but there is nothing like the school of hard knocks to give you a lasting lesson. We all have to pay our dues sometime.:chainsawguy:

Honest to God...I enjoy chipping brush . Maybe I just dont do it often enough anymore . I can't say I enjoy long drags though . But as far as feedn a chipper ....well... its right up there with some of my other "happy places" .

I am doing it the opposite way. I own a small tree business. I worked hard to learn as much as I could from skilled arborists when I was first interested in tree work/care. This leaded me into working side jobs and eventually doing my own thing. I am sure many of us started out like this. Anyways, three years ago I started getting slower and slower. I was/am small and was getting beat out. I took the oppertunity to go back to school and still do part time work while in school. I am 27 now and I finish school this year. I did not go to an arborculture program I went to the Thompson School at UNH for forestry and figured it would be something further I could offer. I have found school to be enjoyable, I have learned a lot. I will not go as far to say any of it would be applicable in real life situations. The best thing I have gained from school in my opinion is networking. I would encourage an young person (not the I am old) to find out what you truly have a passion for and work at it and then maybe attend school. I wasted two years of my life out of high school and went straight to college for business I HATED it. I left went to work landscaping and found myself doing tree work and falling in love with it. I worked my ass off dragging brush, asking question, reading on my own time, and eventaully climbing under people who were seasoned and knew what they were doing. I was lucky to find people willing to teach and answer questions. I wouldnt do it any differently now.

Honest to God...I enjoy chipping brush . Maybe I just dont do it often enough anymore . I can't say I enjoy long drags though . But as far as feedn a chipper ....well... its right up there with some of my other "happy places" .

Too funny, i've always loved feeding a chipper also. Give me a pile of brush as big as a house and a chipper that can handle it, and i'm as happy as a dog with a bone.

Too funny, i've always loved feeding a chipper also. Give me a pile of brush as big as a house and a chipper that can handle it, and i'm as happy as a dog with a bone.

That would be a big brush pile...but Im in! Hopefully the brush is all butt first :laugh: Sometimes I dont even mind pulln apart criss crossed brush . I have had guys struggle with it then watch in amazement as I "dissect" the pile. "its just a big puzzle , just kinda in reverse!" is what I tell em.

some of the dumbest people I know have a college degree!!! but whats sad is: they think they`re smarter than those without & justify it by telling themselves "I have a Degree" & you dont know what you`re talking about....

LXT..................[/QUOTE.Yep it's sarcasm alright. I have been doin' this for the better part of my life and I'm neerin' 50. So though it seems (Academic) or easy to me it didn't happen over night. Never the less I had to start somewhere as all of us will. So in a nutshell doin' is the only way!
]

The Path to Success as a Tree Climber

1). Get a job with a reputable Tree Service as a brush hauler and groundie.
1a). Become the best groundie they have, work harder than any other.

2). Learn to handle and care for the ropes, do this when others sit down.
2b). Become the best rope man they have, a climber will want you.

3). Watch everything your climber does, talk to him, gain his respect.
3b). 50% of being a great climber is to have a great rope man.

4). get your basic gear to climb, offer to set ropes, retrieve shot bags, anything to use your gear. Climb trees in your off time so you won't look so awkward when you get your shot. When your climber thinks you are ready he will offer you a tree (most likely a simple Pine). Do it fast and safe.
4b). Don't do damage or cause injuries to yourself or crew.

5) repeat steps 1 ~ 4 as needed until you start looking for a good rope man.

Beowulf343,
Great essay dude....no one could write that without having to had endured it. Man it brought me back to the early 80's except the college part, thats where my friends went while I was being stump broke into the world of tree's. It is crazy that alot of us still love feeding the chipper, not sure if that is a reminiscent break from climbing or a touch of the Stockholm syndrome we carry for our tormentors...I mean first tree crew we worked for.

Oh and for the new guy who started this post "Entitled" NO, "Humbled" would be a better description.
And don't be ******ng on the ground crew...My guys are top notch and without them it don't work like a machine.

Back