Looks like another saw sale in the works, lol.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
B-in-laws MS290 aint been runn'en right and he kept saying he was going to bring it over for a looken at. Seems he tried some home mechanic'en first and broke off a flywheel fin trying to get the 'wheel off. No problem he said 'cause I broke one off opposite so it will balance OK:laugh: I asked why in the world was ya trying to take the 'wheel off anyway? he said it was cutting out and was going to check the points, LOL. I said hate to be a big disappointment but there aint no points under there anyway.:laugh: its all 'lectronical and in the coil. Well the 290 kinda pulls over stiff but not overly bless with compression, ya know like they do when the piston is galled up and rings is stuck. Gas smells like 2003 vintage.

I wonder how many saws get sold every year to those who cant throw away $2 worth of old gas mix? They get my B-in -law for a new farm boss every other year, LOL

stored

Yes, see this way more than I think a lot of members here realize. This is why the gas goes in a glass jar first thing. In front of the customer, whenever possible.

Blue goo

I wonder how many saws get sold every year to those who cant throw away $2 worth of old gas mix? They get my B-in -law for a new farm boss every other year, LOL

Yah, a question for the ages. And one to ask on Ebay... with all the scored and smoked cylinders out there in 2-stroke land. If only they sold premix 50:1 at the local gas station, and we did not have to actually MIX THE STUFF UP!? I always heve premium gas with some type of better brand air-cooled blue goo in there. I mix it about 45:1. We have about 8 or so 2-stroke tools on farm here.

I saw a saw up for sale on Ebay where the guy said it only runs when he uses starting fluid in it. I mean, ether in a 2-stroke? Rough of the bearings. Clean out all that oil in there... ca-chunk klank bank, sputter, smoke...

Gas

OK, how long can I let one of my saws sit with mix in the tank before i need to use it or drain it?

Depends on if you use gas stabilizer or not. W/o about 3 months. With? Up to a year (or 2 years if you double the amount according to the StaBil bottle that I have). O/w the gas can gunk up the carb.

On the flip side, 2-strokes can last indefinately w/o running if you drain them and put a squirt of blue oil in the cylinder, pull the starter cord a few times and then store them in a dry place. I have a Homelite blower that I put into storage in 1986. I moved here 3 years ago and needed a blower again. So I pulled it out of the box, and filled it with gas/oil, and on the 4th pull it fired up. I was amazed. It still runs good, and I use it here about once a month.

I have a two-cycle brushcutter (Industrial grade weed whacker with a steel triblade) with a Tecumseh engine that hung on my garage wall for at least 10, and maybe 15 years with the 16:1 gas-oil mix in the tank. I had always run the carburetor dry before putting it away. On an impulse last summer, I decided to try it to see if it would still run. I poured out what was left in the gas tank (it was the consistency of oil, and there was no sign of rust) and refilled it with 32:1. It started on about the eighth pull and ran well on the tenth. I used it for a couple of odds and ends chores several times during the summer. I don't think I had put Stabil in it when I put it away the last time, but I did this time. I don't seem to have any problems starting 2-cycle engines (chainsaws, weed whackers, outboard motors) that have sat for up to a year with stabilized gas in them, even if they haven't been run dry. Gene Gauss

Yes, see this way more than I think a lot of members here realize. This is why the gas goes in a glass jar first thing. In front of the customer, whenever possible.

This a good point. The lack of care and maintenance the average person gives their equipment would shock many members. Most occasional users just set their equipment down until the next time they need it. And regardless of how long an interval that might be, they expect it to start. There is also very little comprehension that pouring out the bad fuel and refilling the tank has no bearing on the gummed up carb.

Showing the customer the bad fuel is a good idea. Kind of like checking the oil on the 4 stroke stuff when it come in.

Latest posts

Back