Looks Like We lost Jonsered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
PLEASE tell me I'm wrong! But thats a rumor floating around. But assume for minute it is true:

So Tilton Goes out, they were the long time distributor for the Jonsered brand in the US. Jonsered is picked up by the "Redmax" folks. SO as you would expect, they have fought to get their brand out....Jonsered looses this one. Apparently they plan to build the Redmax name and drop Jonsered....JUST a rumor. But would be in line with similar decisions from corporate types. Remember Partmer and the folks who tried to revive the McCulloch brand? Yup. SO are Jonsered saws, the "red" derivatives of Husqvarna's going to still be made? With the "red" plastic just with a "Redmax" name? No idea. Might see some but others may go away that don't fit the new business model. Not to fret, as there are always the Orange version's! And what about existing Jonsered Dealers, they going to now be "redmax" sort of like the Dolmars dealers now Makita? Wonder what they think about the situation. Worked out well I think for the Makita folks...will the same game work for Redmax?? No idea. But why would an Orange dealer put an odd name on the shelf when more Orange saws can now be displayed?

My opinion? First it doesn't matter what I think, its their business. So starting from that perspective...I have no connection to the Redmax brand. Regardless of products offered from the varied origins. The ONLY product I have experienced with Redmax roots is the 543...and its...OK but not a slam dunk for the price. Second? The Jonsered dealers were simply more sales channels for the Swedish saws to go through and addition places ALL the Swedish saws could be supported. And the way they operated it let the smaller volume dealers in more remote area's have access to Swedish saws and parts without having to buy huge amounts of tag along products from lawn mowers to weed whackers. Will Redmax continue that? No idea. But trends in other similar businesses try and push dealers to front the cash and take the risk along with forcing products that might not fit the business model of that dealer..... basically pushing them out of the Swedish Saw business and letting brands like Efco and Dolmar fill that gap. AND the Jonsered brand showed up in Box stores like TSC which shows the business models the Redmax folks seem to gravitate to. Maybe that a good thing? I really can't quantify that so maybe it is. Ebay has made an impact on this.

For me? I'm going to continue my collection building of older Jred's. Doubt I'll ever own a Redmax of any flavor. Solidifies my connection to the Husqvarna folks in my life. And maybe thats the grand plan..to push the saw world into the Orange brand. Stihl like.

Good news? The saws we Jonsered types know and appreciate can still be had and supported through the Husqvarna dealer network..in ORANGE. AND Husqvarna dealers who also sold Jonsered now have more shelf space and fewer "part numbers" to juggle! Bad news? The saws I like..are probably gone. Not going to buy one with a Redmax name. Doesn't feel right. HOPE i'm wrong. Just heard this from too many places. NOW if the brand was Jonsered absorbing the Redmax products...that would be interesting. Funny how something and some decisions have no basis in logic, pure emotion.

"And maybe thats the grand plan..to push the saw world into the Orange brand. Stihl like."

Ya think? That was Elux's goal since the 80's or before. Jonsereds was never a viable brand in this area anyway and according to the guy at our local TSC the switch to Jonsereds for them was counterproductive. He says they sell less saws now then when they stocked the Orange ones because of the name recognition.

So the last chance effort to build up Jonsereds in this area anyway didn't go that well, but if they try the Redmax, that will fail here also as that brand for saws here was and is non existent. If I had to guess, before its over it just might be Husqvarna and Poulan brands as the last names standing.

Corporations only look at the bottom line and to have that one flagship. We no longer have Pontiac, Oldsmobile or Mercury brand automobiles and years later no one cares. Truthfully I questioned for years why GM tried to carry on with that many brands anyway. Same vehicles with some different trim.

Are you saying that Husqvarna is not going to make red versions of their saws anymore?

I run Jonsered saws since I just like the look of them more than their husky counterparts.

I guess I could switch to orange but it will likely be Echo saws or maybe Stihl.

I'd be willing to bet there is more RedMax product in New Jersey, Long Island, and Connecticut than there is Jonsered product sold by dealers nationwide.

Redmax/zenoah sells a lot of good trimmers.

What models?

Ditto. Near as I can tell, Redmax is not much different than Echo which is a far cry from any Stihl trimmer I have worked on and I have only worked on Stihl pro model trimmers. Was 4 mix a Redmax invention? If Redmax did any development on Stihl engines of any kind, at least they had the mercy to keep their inferior carburetorsso off of Stihl trimmers.

Back