loops and chain grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLACOSTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hi boy's.. just a quick question do you guys think it is worth makeing up your own chain loops? takeing into consideration the purchase of a chain breaker and rivet spinner,time involved makeing the loops and misshaps [wasteage] etc

also one other Q can somebody reccomend a good chain grinder,i have looked at the 'oregon bench minigrinder' and 'oregon chain grinder' this one is almost twice the price as the other

also about chain usage/sharpening were a small crew with three cutters..thanks for any replies :)

Depends on your saw fleet and how much chain you get through. If you need a mixture of pitches and gauges, you may have a lot of chain sitting around for a long time.

I'm planning to go for a reel rather than rely on my local dealers - they make too many mistakes. Also, my saws are all 026's, so I only need one type of chain. I was shown a way of breaking and making loops that doesn't need spinners/breakers. You just need a file, centre punch, a peening hammer and a surface such as the back of a vice. If I bought a 50ft roll for my saws, I'd get 920 links and save 6.5p per link, which equals £60 or so.

If you wanted to buy the spinner and breaker, I'd think about getting them from the States. The savings you'd make, last time I looked, more than cover the shipping. Try Baileys online.

I have spent some time learning about this chain buissnes.
As for most of the ones in the tree buissnes around here, it`s not worth the effort/time. There has been suggested that someone with big interest in the subjekt should do it, here it costs 4$ to grind a chain, and most off the people I have met file on their own, and leave the chain for grinding once in a wile.
I met one man who owns two wood "processers" ( not sure of eng. term), and he is going to by a fully automatic grinder.
He counts on doing others chains as well.

Hope it helped a little.

Mange

i spin up loops of .063 and .050 3/8 and .325 I don't bother buying lopro and I grind all my own definitely worth the time where some guys will waste feild time resharpening the better way is to throw on a razor sharp spare chain. Done in time for happy hour.

Latest posts

Back