lord the heat enough

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It got hot in Oregon too, recently. Even up to 108 in a Portland suburb and near 105 in Medford, a few miles east of us.

The humidity was not drastic.

But I was hired to do a landscape design plan at the coast, in Brookings, Oregon.

So I went camping for two days in the 70s weather, measured and talked to the customer, then came back to air conditioned comfort to draw the plan. I drove back the following weekend to Brookings and camped again.

Then the temps dipped again to 85 - 90 here. But our nights dropped to 45 degrees. That 13 degrees above freezing here, really cools the hardtop and crawl spaces of houses. So we don't really need air conditioning when its 87.

Husky372 said:
I am sick of sweat in my ears. Wearing hardhat with muffs the sweat is running like a river right into ears. Any suggestions. Do like the sweat band idea.

get a package of those little silica crystal paks that they put in new shoes. They absorb moisture quickly. put one pack in each earmuff, BEHIND the foam (not against yer ear). No more sweat in your ears. Cheap enough to change daily.

yes, im a tech geek.

Ekka said:
Also, watch your sox as same there, good sox.

Yep. Not cotton. Keeps the moisture next to your skin. Call me crazy, but I wear wool. Good quality wool hiking socks. Never had a blister with wool socks, but I have with high-tech fancy synthetics. Wool draws the moisture away from your feet.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Yep. Not cotton. Keeps the moisture next to your skin. Call me crazy, but I wear wool. Good quality wool hiking socks. Never had a blister with wool socks, but I have with high-tech fancy synthetics. Wool draws the moisture away from your feet.

No you are not crazy! But most folks will think so, for wearing wool when it's hot. Let them think what they will, it's their feet suffering ;)

TreeCo said:
I've taken the whole week off!

The heat is just an excuse.:laugh:

Yeah and next week it will be cooler, but probably better take a few days off just to adjust to the temp change :D

we are takin it easy for the last few days.... only doing the small easy jobs.
long breaks between jobs.

Here in southeastern PA we've had heat indices over 100 all week. I tried to work a job that should have been easy on Tuesday and almost threw up in front of my customer, despite drinking lots of water and Gatorade. We took off yesterday and just did maintenance today.

If busting your ass in 100 degree weather and barfing makes you a man, then call me a boy! I charge enough to afford to take days like these off. I'm catching up on paperwork!

Same here. Been working on equipment for the past couple days. Too hot, too humid. I also agree on heavy wool socks. Never wear anything else when I'm working.
Phil

Last edited:
i pity the cold days
Bro I relish the cold. I'll take it down to a calm 15F anyday over 90F+ . 25F is my favorite rage outside weather. Just eat yer oats and dress right. When the wind comes up around 0F then I'll toss the skirt on.

It's been near 100 here for the past week. I get my crew to the site by 7AM. They don't complain at all as we pack it up by Noon. Off-loading wood at 1PM in the blazing sun is a religious experience for me. Kind of feels like what I imagine hell might be like. We keep lots of water in the coolers as well as those foil juice-packs. I've found they are chosen more than Gatorade with most of my guys. I have noticed that with Gatorade I get this terrible dry-mouth stuff at night. No problems with the natural juice though. Today we ran until 3PM. It was 99 on my drive to the recycle place. I think we might have it better than some other outside workers, like roofers, as we are usually under trees or in canopies above where we get some shade from the blazing sun. I wear long sleeve white shirts and khakis when I'm climbing. I stay much cooler than in the days when I used to wear short sleeve tee-shirts. I'm looking forward to cooler weather, although here in Austin that might not be until October.

as i'm spiral pruning and topping trees for the forest industry, we've been shut down for heat on and off for the last two weeks... also moved to early shift when we're working...on site working by six, shut down by one...depending on the block location that has meant getting up between 2:30 or 3;30...still bloody night-time.... now we're camping at a site so a guy can sleep in till five!

I actually have considered firing up my halogens at 5AM, on-site, and doing no-chainsaw pruning while it's still relatively cool down here. If the heat gets worse, I probably will do just that. I figure if I can get a crew out to start by 5AM sharp, and we rev up the saws at the more neighbor-friendly hour of 7AM, we'll all be back home by 11AM, and I'll pay a bit more for the early hour hassle. We'll see----

I've been trying to limit myself here in Northeast Mississippi lately. I overworked myself a week ago - worked a 14 hour day trying to finish up a big job - I was in 9 different trees that day - and i ended up getting home that night and puking my guts up (I didn't pee a single time in that 14 hour period.) Kinda scared me, really. Over the last 9 days i've lost 11 pounds (I'm a lightweight) went from 156 to 145. I can't afford to lose much more! I drink just under 3 gallons of water per day and 2 quarts of Gatorade - I still cramp like a son-of-a-gun. I think i'm low on my potassium. I've cut back to where i'm only working from 6am to 2pm. Hopefully, i can keep that up, because we've got our usual August weather that's set in - 75 degree nights and 100 degree days with little hope of rain. Clearance, I like the sound of your 65 degree weather!!!

CaseyForrest said:
Merino wool works for me.

Yep. Cold weather or hot. Fox River makes the best I've found. Itch? HA! It's like wearing silk! Very comfortable, and DURABLE. I'm still wearing some that I bought 4 years ago. Bought a half dozen then, and they get almost daily wear.

Just don't put them in the dryer. Air dry only.

Latest posts

Back