Lousy fireplace installers-Need Mike Holmes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I do not understand why our family as a whole have been hit by 2 fireplace installers who do not know what they are doing and end up doing more damage than they started.
In our case they put in fancy expensive shiny stainless steel pipes because they look nicer, BUt you can't see them since they are behind a wall. THey damaged a Oak paneled wall and removed (yanked out) studs we installed for rear wall of fireplace. Put up a very high pipe above the chase so I can't clean it myself now. Put their foot through kitchen ceiling at my expense. Put the fireplace door on wrong without testing seal.
Warranty issues have come up and factory insists I HAVE to have original dealer order and install parts. Like I even want him in my house again!

Now at the property my parents are trying to have a new replacement woodburning stove installed. We have had new tile installed and the area is all setup. The installer came by took photos of site and says looks great should be easy install tie in, into the existing chimney. The next day the crew comes by without the stove just the pipes and promptly breaks the ceramic collar in the wall and cracks the chimney in numerous places. Then they have the bleepin:bang::censored: to accuse my parents of swearing at them. They also said the cement block chimney had cracks in previous. If it did why didn't the first guy notice them when he checked it out the day before. The owner of that company was supposed to come and inspect the damage he never showed up as a neighbor waited for him.

Now we do NOT have any heat for hunting season unless we can find another dealer and can fix the chimney damage.
But the splitter seems to be working for now at least after 2 engine repairs since 2-coupler died.

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but I am in the same boat, and just realized this today. The contractor who installed my chimney did an overall decent job except for connecting my stove to the support box in the ceiling. I orginally ordered double walled telescopic stove pipe, but the guy couldn't figure out how it connected to the stove :dizzy: I had to go out to Tractor Supply, and buy standard 6" stove pipe so he could finish the job. I was sitting in the living room today looking at the pipe, and realized he did not assemble the stove pipe correctly, and creasote will eventually drip down the damn pipe. So, now after paying this "Contractor of 24 years" my hard earned money, I will have to fix his damn mistake. I thought about calling him to let him know it was done incorrectly, and I want it fixed, but truthfully I rather do it myself, and know for a 100% fact it is done right. Sorry for the rant, and I hope you are able to recoupe your loses, but it just goes to show there's a lot of people out there doing shady things

Daggone shame....Not putting myself on a pedestal, but Dad/myself always had plenty of work correcting mistakes by amateur hacks like that, which are plentiful now since the economy's bad.

Discount for damage to chimney? OR NOT

The owner wrote to my parents and stated that he would discount them for the damage done to the chimney and house during attempted installation. Sounds good on the first glance but on detailed analysis he also increased the price of installation,price of stove and fan at the very same time! So in the end we are actually paying a higher price! :jawdrop:

We found another stove place that could get a stove to us prior to hunting season of a different manufacturer, Pacific Energy, which looks better but they are selling at a much higher than factory retail price. Factory also has an offer of free fans for this month only, this dealer is only giving a 50% discount. Another rip-off of a dealer.

Closer to our homes 2 dealers carry the same stove including options and install charges. They also have the same factory retail prices BUT they are 250 miles from our cabin. The dealer close to our cabin has the higher than retail prices.
Doesn't anybody want business in these hard economic times?

Latest posts

Back