love dem chain before making video, please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WadePatton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
we don't have any 'round here, so i must ask, is blue spruce really really hard?

or is this what i think it is...a pitiful neglected chain. vid:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OuCW6B8VTw8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OuCW6B8VTw8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
That poor thing!!!

It's actually HARD to watch, but if ya look close you can almost see the bar heating up.

There's gotta be maybe 3 teeth cutting on that chain.

DOH!!

Good sounding saw though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I don't know how hard Blue Spruce is,but that chain is really piling up some nice chips.The chain is doing fine from what I can see.I wonder why it took so long to make that cut .

I don't know how hard Blue Spruce is,but that chain is really piling up some nice chips.The chain is doing fine from what I can see.I wonder why it took so long to make that cut .

yeah, on second viewing (i guess i like pain) i noticed the good chips. but it sure is forever and a day plus a few minutes :cry: to get ole yaller through that cut.

The chain is dull, most likely incorrectly sharpened. There is an enormous amount of dust and fine particles. Probably had three cutters doing most of the work.

Ouch! I got the same feeling watching that as when the dentist cleans my teeth! Good sounding saw, but DULL chain. He had a couple cutters sharp, but not many.

If the question is not tongue-in-cheek, blue spruce is not hard. We have it all over the place here in our gulch. Not much different from lodge pole pine. Splits very easily, too.

well, maybe a little, but the only blue spruce i've seen is shipped in for Christmas trees. this is eastern redcedar country. every other conifer growing here was planted by a person.

mostly dull chain makes sense. a few cutters throwing chips and the rest burning their way through.

I was just looking for a 10-10 vid and found that...hadda share (not just to be cruel and unusual, but to possibly help the novice).

__bottom line__ for me is, if I ever make a sawing vidyea there'll be uberfresh links on the bar. :clap:

That chain was making mostly fine white dust, you can see it piling up on top of the log and a sharp chain wouldn't leave anything there. I think the few chips that you can see come from a few sharp cutters that are doing all the real work.

Spruce is not that hard, even when dry.

Mr. HE:cool:

The worst part of that whole thing isn't the dull chain, its the fact that you can see him dancing to Wham! if you look at the other videos he's uploaded. Chainsaws and George Michael just don't go together.

what's the deal with him pulling the starter rope as he hits the kill switch?

Operator pulls the starter rope out a few inches so that when the saw is turned off the the starter does not engage the flywheel and pull the rope against the handle into the housing. Trying to avoid broken ropes, handles, and starter components.

Not a bad habit to have but not really needed on most new saws. If you are a still lover think Elasto. If you are a Husky nut think replacement parts.

:ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl:I almost pissed myself when I watched that video, if that chain was the least bit sharp it would have peeled into that spruce like a hot knife through butter, That's just pitafull really!!

Operator pulls the starter rope out a few inches so that when the saw is turned off the the starter does not engage the flywheel and pull the rope against the handle into the housing. Trying to avoid broken ropes, handles, and starter components.

Not a bad habit to have but not really needed on most new saws. If you are a still lover think Elasto. If you are a Husky nut think replacement parts.

Yup, no problems on the Huskies or Homies, but on the Macs I have, it is a must do!

Latest posts

Back