Low and slow baby!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found that you have to "tune" a VT for every different rope combination, and maybe again after new rope wears in. But, it is that dynamic property that you call self-loosening that I like the best about the hitch. It grabbs whenever I set it, but will loosen whenever I want it to. I can even adjust it so that it will grab more or less depending on how I am climbing.

That said, then best hitch is the one the individual climber most confidant climbing with.

I have found on the Schwabisch that I can put my pointer and middle finger on top of the hitch and use my palm to push against the bottom of the hitch, thus compressing the whole thing and it loosens easily. I do this on longer descents or jumps instead of just pulling down on the top of the hitch.

The thing is that the Schwabish and Distal are just closed loop taughtline/prussic hitches.

Which is what makes them a good choice for guys coming off a tautline open system, offers a more secure feeling and is a bit more predictable being that it isn't really sensitive to "tuning". Tie it and go.

Hitches are like picking a rifle cartridge, it's always a tradeoff of advantages and disadvantages, if there was a clearly superior one the others would need not exist.

All i know about rifle cartridges is boat tail ball that i used 25 years ago in a 30-30. It is amazing the consistency you can get with had loads made by an armorer.

I'm not real concerned with the 'Tree Climbers Companion' clearance.

What is that anyway?? Is that like some kind of a beer or something?

Just to be more specific so all the fraidy-cats don't get to exicited:
The warning on the VT reads something like this " due to the inherent dangers of tree climbing blah blah blah... don't forget to tie your knots right cause along with the VT any knot not tied right might cause a problem".

:cheers: to you, MDS. I just put my bro on my VT this weekend for his first time. What a surprise, he liked it! Give yourself a few weeks on the new gear and then jump back on your tautline for ####s and giggles. You'll seriously slap yourself in the head for not switching sooner, lol.

Just to be more specific so all the fraidy-cats don't get to exicited:
The warning on the VT reads something like this " due to the inherent dangers of tree climbing blah blah blah... don't forget to tie your knots right cause along with the VT any knot not tied right might cause a problem".

Yep.

try the distel out. i was using the martin but it had one really pinchy spot that wore out quicker than i liked. plus i found the distel to be easier on twisting the hell out of my line on the longer rappels. i put an extra loop in it as well because i am using 10mm beeline and my finger or thumb will get smoked if i dont.

good to see you making moves mds. good to see.

try the distel out. i was using the martin but it had one really pinchy spot that wore out quicker than i liked. plus i found the distel to be easier on twisting the hell out of my line on the longer rappels. i put an extra loop in it as well because i am using 10mm beeline and my finger or thumb will get smoked if i dont.

good to see you making moves mds. good to see.

Thanks buddy! :cheers:

Congrats on the new gig as well man!

i totally hear you and i have an 8 that hangs from the back of my belt. problem with the 8 for me is that i am hanging from the crane.

Post some pics of your rig to the crane. I still think the old prussick is best ( for a few reasons) in that circumstance... and most others.

Latest posts

Back