Low budget high value chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have retrofitted a new holland forage harvestor into a wood chipper. Today was the first day that I tried it out on the job, and it worked great. Instead of trucking brush out of town we were able to triple our out put. It will take up to 2.5 inch brush as quick as two people can feed it. Those things are used to being stuffed with two rows of corn at 6 miles an hour, so a little brush dosen't even make them work. I bought the largest pull type forage harvestor that new holland made for $500 from a neighbuor. I lowerd the roller clearance,and replaced the old springs with stronger ones. I made a tray or schute to feed the brush in on. Then made a saftey bar that hooks to a transmission, already in place to reverse the infeed rollers when needed, and added some guarding, all in one day. These things are already set up to chip wood, all they need are a few mods and a tractor. I was thinking of mounting a diesel directly on it to make it more portable,but wanted to test the theory first.

I have retrofitted a new holland forage harvestor into a wood chipper. Today was the first day that I tried it out on the job, and it worked great. Instead of trucking brush out of town we were able to triple our out put. It will take up to 2.5 inch brush as quick as two people can feed it. Those things are used to being stuffed with two rows of corn at 6 miles an hour, so a little brush dosen't even make them work. I bought the largest pull type forage harvestor that new holland made for $500 from a neighbuor. I lowerd the roller clearance,and replaced the old springs with stronger ones. I made a tray or schute to feed the brush in on. Then made a saftey bar that hooks to a transmission, already in place to reverse the infeed rollers when needed, and added some guarding, all in one day. These things are already set up to chip wood, all they need are a few mods and a tractor. I was thinking of mounting a diesel directly on it to make it more portable,but wanted to test the theory first.

Interesting but we're gonna need pictures. Go ahead a put up a video too.:)
tks
Tom

Back