Low compression on my new Stihl MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you start another thread I’d like to follow that.
All this talk has me looking at my plug and piston wash on my ported 460. Im off and it’s raining so I’m stuck in the shop.
87a3c446d40df489d4ef45172ac55030.jpg
You know, this is really a great picture.
Could easily be sold as phone or computer wallpaper.

Made another Call to JD the Pacific NW Stihl Manager... he's out until Monday. Miss understood the his out of the office message on 1st time I called JD. No calls from the 2nd shop on a used saw credit so assuming that's not good new, I haven't called them back thou. Guess I'll see on Monday what JD has to say. The 2nd shop maybe waiting for JD to get back too them...but he is the guy from Stihl that can make a decision and has the last word over this is my understanding after talking to Stihl support.

Made another Call to JD the Pacific NW Stihl Manager... he's out until Monday. Miss understood the his out of the office message on 1st time I called JD. No calls from the 2nd shop on a used saw credit so assuming that's not good new, I haven't called them back thou. Guess I'll see on Monday what JD has to say. The 2nd shop maybe waiting for JD to get back too them...but he is the guy from Stihl that can make a decision and has the last word over this is my understanding after talking to Stihl support.
James here is an email address for Stihl technical support . SEND JOE AN EMAIL .
[email protected]

What caused the ring to stick?Gummy oil residue in the groove?
Not sure, but most of the ms362's I strip down due to running issues, this is what I find.
There seems to be very tight tolerances between ring and piston on this particular model, this one is not showing any signs of it, but normally I find the piston skirt has hard smooth black carbon deposits from combustion blowby.

The shop looked at my saw yesterday, they didn't seem to care about the mods. They thought the tach was a good Idea. I hear ya on the oiler thou because if I get a replacement, I'm out $100. But this is a good shop so I'm not so worried about the mods. ...its a dwg and a tach, there's no holes... the tach is sealed in the cover. The tach is inductive so no mods to the saw at all that isn't factory other then the cover. Plus there's the winter and summer plug if there concern about a leak to the filter...the saw only has .3 total hours on it. Yesterday when I had the saw in at the shop because of the flooding and I thought something was wrong with it. At that time they saw the hour meter was at 0 hours...hadn't ran long enough to even give a reading. It would be pretty hard to say I did something to the saw. The shop ran my saw yesterday. I think its best to just take it in...as suggested. The way I look at it I did what was required to make sure the saw was square with the shop, they told me there was nothing wrong with the saw run it. I had flooded it! I wondering if the compression release is faulty...the saw idles fine thou. Not sure but since it new...going to let them figure it out. Taking the saw in on my lunch...I have my camera here so if need be I'll look in on the cylinder with them.

I had a similar problem with my MS261, I had to remove the decamp and plug it as it was clearly not sealing off when it popped out.
8bd0f059da02dc1d434fee275bfd3332.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See one saw I purchased had a stuck decomp button. I guess they realized it had no compression and sold it. Easy fix plenty of compression. Never let the saw sit with the button pressed.

The shop of purchase called me today and let me know that the Stihl rep was out of the office until next week. So...at least they make attempt to contact Stihl...instead of what they said when I talked to them. The last contact I had with them I was told they would file a complain and I would have to deal with Stilh on my own. They didn't want my saw, wanted nothing to do with it and their was nothing wrong with it. They said they wouldn't even give me a used saw valve. Furthermore didn't want to sell me another saw. I've always been honest and listen to their advice and attempt what they have said. All conversation have been pleasant until they told me that.

Send an email to the Stihl CEO or chairman of the board. Forget the reps. Rattle the chain from the top. You want action you will get action. They like to get feed back at the top levels.

I have never liked the way that scenario makes me feel. One minute you’re looking for help, the next you feel like your playing chess or poker in order to qualify for help.

And the saw seems like the red headed stepchild that everyone else wants out of their sight.

Perservere. Monday’s coming...

Stay calm and keep reaching out to reps and higher ups. They will solve your problem because it makes them appear to be fixing an issue which is their job.
I had a rep send me the new 261 when I purchased an old model 261 that was marketed as the latest one. Didn’t realize it at the time of purchase, but it’s funny how the Dealer will turn on you when you want your money back or saw replaced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each time I open this thread I hope to hear there has been some progress with one of the dealers toward warranty being honored, just can`t hold my breath until they do. I still say go up the chain of command if the dealers won`t help. I often hear Stihl corporate will be more helpful.

Each time I open this thread I hope to hear there has been some progress with one of the dealers toward warranty being honored, just can`t hold my breath until they do. I still say go up the chain of command if the dealers won`t help. I often hear Stihl corporate will be more helpful.

I agree. Corporate is there to protect their reputation and the brand.
They’re not concerned with the same things a local dealer is. They wear a headset and their primary job is to listen, decipher, assist.

Once I called Stihl CS about a carb change. I wanted to change my saw to adjustable low and high speed carb.

I didn’t know what to expect- if they would slam the door on me for altering the saw (I waited until past warranty)

I really expected them to chide me for it and not help at all. I was wrong. Gal on the phone completely understood. Helpful and gladly looked up the part I needed and went on to discuss how I could either create a new hole in the existing plastic (to access the jet screw) or she could give me the part no. for a different piece with a hole already made.

Could have knocked me over with a feather. Like she actually wanted me to be happy with my saw.

I hope your experience is similar going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back