Low vibration chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My saw came with an oregon 72 LPX072G
I notice it was a low vibration chain. I was wondering if Woodland PRO 30RC chains have the same low vibration. What makes them low vibration? Thanks :chainsaw:

My saw came with an oregon 72 LPX072G
I notice it was a low vibration chain. I was wondering if Woodland PRO 30RC chains have the same low vibration. What makes them low vibration? Thanks :chainsaw:

Oregon's website has a pdf on it--their technology is called vib-ban.

essentially the bottom rear part of the cutter link is actually a bit short, so as to prevent the chain from bouncing hard against the bar and causing vibration. This creates a sort of a shock absorber.

http://www.oregonchain.com/fb_vibeban.htm

I believe stihl's "c" series chain does the same.

I do not believe that the WP chain does the same.

I have found, however, that there is not too much difference on a saw with decent antivibe. Perhaps it makes more of a difference on a saw with rubber mounts. Cutting between LGX and woodland pro on my ps-510 I noticed very little difference in vibration.

I'm glad that vibration is getting more attention--it's definitely not a good thing.

I think more has to be done to change the way it is tested though. I believe (have not been able to get a straight answer) that the vibration statistics posted deal more with the vibrations from the engine than from the cutting, as it is deemed difficult if not impossible to get accurate readings cutting in some sort of standard medium.

If you go to the stihl uk website you can see that the ms 660 has the same vibration values as a husky 395xp, but if you ask anyone who uses both they'll tell you that the husky is a whole lot smoother...

Similarly, the dolmar ps-510/5100 have mediocre vibration values, something to the tune of 4.0m/s2 and 6.0m/s2, which are similar to those posted for a ms 460, but there is definitely a difference in use.

A high percentage of users seem to recommend whacking the rakers a way down so any low vibe factor is lost anyway!

Vibration specs might average horizontal and vertical readings. The heavier saw with the same amplitude movements will put more vibration into your hands because you resist it more. Seems like relative vibration is pretty subjective.

Great points Mike,

I did not know there was a difference between chains as far as vibration goes. I never really thought about it until I read something about Oregon being a low vibration chain. I did remember how smooth my saw runs with the Oregon chain. I have some woodland pro RC30 that did not seem as smooth. I figured it was a sharpening error on my part which I perceived as less smooth. I say less smooth because my preception is the dolmar 7900 does not have much vibration. I did notice the difference in smoothness if that makes sense.

I also assume if there is less vibration there is less wear and tear on parts. If the cut is the same or maybe better I think I will use Oregon LGX or DP in the future.

I can get the Oregon chains from Amick's for 12.95 plus shipping. There shipping was 4.95 for three chains. That seems very good. :clap:

Latest posts

Back