lowering device

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The port a wrap is an essential tool. I occasionally borrow a second one for bigger jobs. I attach it to my bobcat to pull spares over when felling. Just today in fact. I am in the same boat. Once you get it you and your ground man will totally waana cuddle with it at night. it just gives you that warm cozy feeling. Even when dropping big pieces into it a good ground guy will let it run just enough not to shake the spar. It 's great!

Has anyone ever made one

I was just thinking that it probably would be to hard to make a port-a-wrap . I just from looking at them I would think that a good welder would be able to make one . It might be dangerous but I know a guy that welds that I would feel more safe using something he wielded than something out of the factory .
602al.jpg
Just a thought .Here is picture if someone does not know the what a port-a-wrap is.

I have to agree with the most on this issue...and I have a portawrap. But when I was first starting out and needing to buy ropes, saddles, etc...its hard coming up with extra $140.00...and I just wrapped the rope around another tree, fence post or the bumper of my truck. good luck. Munkee feet
didnt even make it through the thread, i find buying lunch at a deli very difficult i know you old school guys used to buy sandwiches at the deli, yester day i bought a wrap and it was 8 even, no soda, uh dats a 160 a month based on 8 for lunch per day, thank god i didnt do the math on my beer or coffe tab or my gas or insurance etc etc, if your finding it hard to raise 140.00 we have a problem and it aint about lowering devices, swampy your from ny go visit :chainsaw: :chainsaw: buck in binghamton see how they test and make them , or just go old school, and wrap around the trunk and plug your replacement cost of ropes into the equation, think about the guy who bought the first grcs for 2500.00 i wonder if he had as to bounce ideas off of?

I was just thinking that it probably would be to hard to make a port-a-wrap . I just from looking at them I would think that a good welder would be able to make one . It might be dangerous but I know a guy that welds that I would feel more safe using something he wielded than something out of the factory .
602al.jpg
Just a thought .Here is picture if someone does not know the what a port-a-wrap is.
you wanna borrow my lanyard?

Funny you should mention that . I know a guy that had one made. His grandfather welded it out of some beefy hunk of metal and the grandson was talking about having a bunch more made until someone mentioned patent infringement. He ended up giving the home made port a wrap to another guy I know and it is still in use today. It is about exactlly like the one I bought. It was just painted orange.

If you bide your time a good used Port-a-Wrap may show up on the Trading Post!!!

I only do tree work part time...........but a port-a-wrap is an essential piece of equipment!!!

It's a good idea in theory that is get one out of the trading post, but the only problem with that is you don't know if it has been abused and repaired by some one who not quite up to scratch....this equals possible failure...to possible fatality if it gives it's only going one way it's going up and what ever your lowering is coming down a break neck speed..if you are fully confident with your welding skills make one up, i've made up three so far going from 50 mm OD to 110 OD mm that's the diameter of the pipe...but that's me,

Last edited:
I use a bollard I love it, I don't like a porta because it tends to wiggle and and is not a rigid. I made my bollard, but I have a incredible vast knowledge of welding. I am certified and had mine x-rayed. Not something I would recomend to just anyone(Making your own that is) All things aside I really do like my bollard. Don't get me wrong I as soond as I get close to enough cash for a GCRS one is comming my way and fast. Those things look like the best thing since sliced bread and I would really like to have one. Good luck in your choices, I agree to I always over anilize every purchase.
Jared

What does x-raying show you about your weld? just curios.I did only a little welding when I worked for a farm service. On augers and such. I probably don't even have one full hour doing it. It is definetally a skill that takes time to fine tune. I really couldn't figure it out. How to even start was hardest for me. I could never see what I was doing. My step brother is amazing. He can weld up side down and backwards. Having welded in the nuclear reactors of submarines. I think he glows in the dark now though. He has had more radiation exposure for his life time then you are suppose to so he got out of the navy a little upset that his carrier was over already. He's doing fine though. I didn't want you guys losing any sleep over him.:laugh:

X-Raying shows 'pockets', little holes within the metal whose outward surface appears to be otherwise sound. Imperfections within the weld, and the depth of weld, like where you have two flat surfaces and you weld a nice, righteous bead, but a good-looking surface bead doesn't always tell the story of what's deeper. Also, sometimes you lay a weld on top of a weld and bits of slag can get trapped in there. An X-ray will show junk in your weld.

I stick weld (arc), so it's fairly easy to get imperfections in your weld, but then again I'm not welding racecar or airplane frames. Jay D is MIG welding, which is easier and a more efficient weld, he does amazing beautiful work. I'd bet money they're close to perfect.

There's a forum site I used to lurk now and then, just like our arboristsite, but it's for welders, with a very helpful search function like ours. Think we have big egos floating around here?, go try that site. Without a doubt, though, those guys know their stuff.

Latest posts

Back