Lowering Soil pH

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to lower the soil pH around my Ginkgos.

I bought some Ironite.

Is that going to acidify that soil?

I have mulched, but looking for more immediate stuff until the mulch can do its thing.

:bang:

How quickly does root burn show itself?

I put out a small amount of ironite Saturday. By Monday, one tree's leaves started to yellow. I wouldn't have thought that it would have shown signs of being burned that quickly, but the coincidence is too much to be ignored.

The other tree (same species, same size, same amount of ironite) hasn't shown any ill effects. In fact, it may even be improving. Either that, or it now looks so much better than the other one it just looks like it is improving.

best bet, soil test. then if you want to acidify, use sulfur of some sort.

whitenack said:
I need to lower the soil pH around my Ginkgos.

I bought some Ironite.

Is that going to acidify that soil?

I have mulched, but looking for more immediate stuff until the mulch can do its thing.
I use Garden Sulfur on our Nikko Blue Hydrangas to keep the soil acidic so they stay blue. Aluminum Sulfate would probably work as well to acidify the soil also.

I don't have any experience with Ironite, so I won't comment on that, but in general, changing pH is difficult. Chemicals like sulfur, are quite acidic and actually burn roots in close contact with the pearls, don't affect the roots farther away, and the products need to be frequently reapplied. The soil always wants to revert to the original pH.
The microbial action of organic matter breaking down helps to neutralize soil pH, and if you start out with organic matter that's high pH, that's even better.
Establish a nice big mulch bed, starting with some sphagnum peat moss and sheep manure, both slightly acidic. If you have any pines around, you can rake up needles and throw them in the mix. Better yet, plant an evergreen or two nearby.
These steps create a longer lasting solution than a few pounds of sulfur.

Mike,

So, in the short term, do nothing? If I have mulched correctly (I guess I could add some manure and peat moss) I should just wait for the chlorosis to correct itself?

Latest posts

Back