Lucky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterschafer

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Had a little mishap yesterday, while topping a tree out for removal I made a really stupid mistake. I was a little frustrated with my ground guy for getting the ropes all tangled up. I was cutting a medium size branch that I had my safety lanyard tied to , I failed to make my under cut ( I know stupid stupid) when it split sucking me up against the branch, I took my left hand off the saw to catch my balance when it kicked back right into my wrist. Now I had to cut myself free from the split limb and get down in a hurry. I got super lucky , the chain just grazed me and and screwed up my tattoo . I know Ill be the target of attack on here for making such a stupid mistake. I was even raggin on a homeowner the other day about making proper cuts ! Anyways it pays to slow down take a breath and think no matter how much experience you have.

Glad you are OK.

I do not tie into larger lower limbs that I am cutting period. No matter how convenient it might be I avoid the temptation to tie into or below them and always try to get above the work. Even if I have to break out the throw bag and set a line for 1 limb.

I read an OSHA report a few years back on a guy who was out on a large Oak limb, tied into it and it split all the way behind him when he made his cut taking him to the ground and killing him. He was also tied in with a top rope but the limb was so heavy that it snapped his climb line and took him to the pavement.

I always, always, always set my lanyard above and get above the work when taking lower larger limbs.

Yea I failed to reposition before I made the cut I had plenty of options for TIP , I keep replaying the situation over in my head thinking WHY THE HECK DID I DO THAT ! I know better than to do things that way.It could have been very bad! My ground guy was nervous as a cat. I stayed as calm as I could I thought I tore up my tendons but I didnt. My groundman says " you guys with experience are the ones who get it do to your complacency" Maybe a little truth to that. I will be slowing down for sure after that one !

Last edited:
Complacency is our worst enemy.

I came real close on a huge Pecan several years back. I was doing storm work, was exhausted from working long hours and in a hurry. Top was blown out from the storm and nearly impossible to shoot a line into. I took the whole lower limb that went out like 50' and was at least 18" in diameter. The tip hit the ground before I could get through my cut and it nearly came back and swatted me. I was lucky not to be killed. I slowed down and started doing things the right way after that.

I have done things in the tree that I know better then to do. I may be pissed at the groundmen, or tired or in a hurry, but have been lucky, so I'll pass no judgment. I will learn from your mistake as I know you have. Glad your OK it could of been worse. I climb safe, but anyone who says he's 100% is either a robot or a lier. Most the time we get away with it, but it just takes once you don't.
I've always heard its beginners and experts that have accidents. Beginners out of ignorance, experts out of overconfidence and complacency .

Score 1 for husky, 0 for me. Tae Kwan Do block inefective on saw! Could have done serious damage.

Last edited:
A little chainsaw rash will wake ya up. It sucks when limbs split back on ya. All of us in the biz long enough have had the split limb effect. Longer the limb = more likely to split. With a rope timber knot tied on each side of cut. No splitting either direction. This will make your job a lot safer and easier!

We've all been there, or somewhere similar. I've seen experienced tree guys nearly cut branches they were tied into! And every other thing you care to name... When you're in get 'er done mode, sometimes you just don't think. It would be nice to think that you can bring your 'A' game to work every day, but it just doesnt happen. You're going to have bad days too, days when you didn't sleep well, a bit under the weather, or just not in the groove.

Every move you make has the potential to end your life. The best thing you can do is make a habit out of using best practice. It's tedious, but having good habits makes them automatic, so when you're not thinking... your body will still be doing the right stuff. If you make a habit out of sloppy tree work, whether it's saw handling, cuts, rigging or safety line use, it's going to come back and bight you. There's only just so long you can keep weaving a tangled web before one of the strands will be in the wrong place at the wrong time ;-)

I'm always thankful when I have a close call. They wake you up for a little while, and make you think about what you're doing. Thanks for sharing.

Shaun

U should take that pic to the tattoo guy, have him ink in the skin laying around after it heals. Lucky bro, that could have been bad, glad ur ok!

U should take that pic to the tattoo guy, have him ink in the skin laying around after it heals. Lucky bro, that could have been bad, glad ur ok!

SG is right man go play the lottery. I am sure its gonna be sore but that is an almost free lesson that you will remember for ever. Like they tell the kids, sharing is caring so thank you for that.

It can byte you ...

Had a little mishap yesterday...

I had a similar close call with a big limb off the Water Elm I took down last week. Even though I did undercut the limb it broke badly and hung long enough for the tops to push it off the stub at me. Fortunately I had a high TIP that allowed me to swing back out of the way. And of course my flip line was above the limb and with enough slack to get out of the way. I caught all that on my helmet cam, along with dropping my set pole (not pole saw) on JohnBoy's head. You'll have to go to my web site to see it though, apparently my videos are not welcome here, even though seeing other's mistakes can be instructive.

I agree that complacency and overconfidence is any risk taker's mortal enemy. I was taught in other endeavors to develop a very high "situational awareness" when in the danger zone. Vigilance over personal safety should always be job one, "get 'er done" must be resisted.

I won't post the video of me caught in the byte of my rope because I did't want to take the time to properly position myself. I learned from that one.

~ the Aerialist ...

Last edited:
I had a similar close call with a big limb off the Water Elm I took down last week. Even though I did undercut the limb it broke badly and hung long enough for the tops to push it off the stub at me. Fortunately I had a high TIP that allowed me to swing back out of the way. And of course my flip line was above the limb and with enough slack to get out of the way. I caught all that on my helmet cam, along with dropping my set pole (not pole saw) on JohnBoy's head. You'll have to go to my web site to see it though, apparently my videos are not welcome here, even though seeing other's mistakes can be instructive.

I agree that complacency and overconfidence is any risk taker's mortal enemy. I was taught in other endeavors to develop a very high "situational awareness" when in the danger zone. Vigilance over personal safety should always be job one, "get 'er done" must be resisted.

I won't post the video of me caught in the byte of my rope because I did't want to take the time to properly position myself. I learned from that one.

~ the Aerialist ...

The reason that you have so many close calls is that you have never worked long enough under a qualified climber to know how to do the job properly. Any seasoned climber can watch about 30 seconds of any of your vids and recognize that you are very green, unqualified and a danger to yourself. That is why you are continually pointed to the 101 forum.

~ the Aerialist ...

whats a "water elm"? according to world wide web a "water elm" is slang for Ulmus americana which is an American Elm also know as Gray Elm and White Elm and it has been made very clear your videos are more then welcome but just in the VIDEO forum the two things asked to you by the moderator were where ppe, which YOU do just not some of the subjects of your vids, and to post in the video forum seems easy enough for me:msp_confused:

AFTER DOING STORM DAMAGE FOR A COUPLE MONTHS MY CONFIDENCE WAS FLYING. SO THE ELM BRANCH WAS 9" AROUND AND 25-30' LONG WITH AN OVERSIZED CANOPY. WELL BEING THE ACE MECHANIC I AM, I BROUGHT UP MY SUPER HOT 338. SMALL FACE AND A TOP SPEED BACK CUT WAS THE PLAN. 1\2 WAY THROUGH THAT "HIGH SPEED BACK CUT" THE BRANCH (I WAS STANDING ON IN SPIKES) SPLIT DOWN THE MIDDLE. THE BRANCH RIPPED MY LANYARD IN HALF. THE BACK OF MY SADDLE SMASHED ME INTO THE BRANCH. 5 GOUNDMAN AND MY NEW GIRL FRIEND GAZED AT MY IGNORANCE.

THREW MY ROPE FROM 1 FIR TREE TO THE NEXT THEN I CAME DOWN FOR LUNCH. WENT BACK UP THE 2nd TREE. AT 130-150' I GOT A GOOD LOOK AT THE 2", DEAD, HOLLOW BRANCH MY ROPE WAS AROUND. I FINISHED THAT TREE, WENT TO THE BASE OF IT AND ACTUALLY SHED A TEAR WHILE I PRAYED. I WAS WORKING WITH"THE PASTOR" I TOLD HIM I KNOW WHERE IM GOING JUST NOT READY TO GET THERE YET

MOST INJURIES HAPPEN AFTER 8hrs OF WORK. TAKE A BREATH DRINK SOME COFFEE AND LET'S HIT (WHAT THE PASTOR CALLS) OUR FINES HOURS. # 9-10-11-12. SEPARATING THE GUYS WHO DIG IT AND THE GUYS WHO LIVE IT

What it is ...

whats a "water elm"? according to world wide web a "water elm" is slang for Ulmus americana which is an American Elm also know as Gray Elm and White Elm ...

Planera aquatica , similar to and related to Siberian Elm. Here is a shot I took of the leaf structure, judge for yourself which of course is what I did:

7219285664_27b7b400ea_c.jpg

... and it has been made very clear your videos are more then welcome but just in the VIDEO forum the two things asked to you by the moderator were where ppe, which YOU do just not some of the subjects of your vids, and to post in the video forum seems easy enough for me:msp_confused:

What has been made clear is that I am being singled out for abuse and limited as to where I can post my videos. I've seen quite a few videos posted there, most recently by Treeclimber 101 and he, or no one else has been told not to do it. It is not in the posting guidelines and until it is or I see others given this same restriction I will post when and where I want to.

~ the Aerialist ...

Last edited:
Planera aquatica , similar to and related to Siberian Elm. Here is a shot I took of the leaf structure, judge for yourself which of course is what I did:

What has been made clear is that I am being singled out for abuse and limited as to where I can post my videos. I've seen quite a few videos posted there, most recently by Treeclimber 101 and he, or no one else has been told not to do it. It is not in the posting guidelines and until it is or I see others given this same restriction I will post when and where I want to.

~ the Aerialist ...

well you told them... big words are easy, but I bet you dont go post many more videos in there.

~ the Aerialist ...

I'm pretty sure that the twig/leaf sample you just posted is NOT of a planera aquatica. Twig color and formation do not match. Green new growth twigs on your picture have no fuzzies on them, and the photo of the bark of the water elm does not match that from your "chinese maple" video.

Oh, and they're not listed as growing in Pa, even as planted specimens. Now, I know that doesn't mean that there isn't a single one in Pa, but it does make it even more doubtful that the tree you recently removed was a planera aquatica.

Planertree, Water-Elm (Planera aquatica)

Planera aquatica Fact Sheet

---------------

Sorry for the derail......

To the OP, yeah, very lucky, and that's pretty easy healing for the lesson learned.

Last edited:
Back