Lumber Maker question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThistyTurtle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm brand new to this whole milling thing and have a quick question. I want to slab out a few lengths of oak to make some live edge benches. I have a 20" bar and bought a cheap lumber maker guide from harbor freight for doing the few cuts that I need.
The question is, can I bury the tip of the bar in the wood if my tree is thicker than my setup can cut with one pass?
Since I want a live edge on both sides, I don't want to cut a slab off each side to narrow the oak enough to fit my setup.
Thanks in advance for the advice. I hope to do some cutting this weekned.

Thanks for the advice. I only need a few slabs so I can take my time and hopefully get it right.

I'm brand new to this whole milling thing and have a quick question. I want to slab out a few lengths of oak to make some live edge benches. I have a 20" bar and bought a cheap lumber maker guide from harbor freight for doing the few cuts that I need.
The question is, can I bury the tip of the bar in the wood if my tree is thicker than my setup can cut with one pass?
Since I want a live edge on both sides, I don't want to cut a slab off each side to narrow the oak enough to fit my setup.
Thanks in advance for the advice. I hope to do some cutting this weekned.

What will the benches look like?What type of legs just wondering I make them too.

I don't have the details worked out fully yet but I'm planning a steel tube frame with dividers for baskets that pull out the front and a slab seat. I want it for my front entry to sit and take off boots and baskets for hats and mittens. Not sure what wood for the top yet. I have mostly oak with some maple. I'll have to see what is big enough for the seat depth and length.

Do you have any photos of yours you can post? Would love to check out your work. Also, how did you go about flattening your rough slabs? I was figuring hand planes and/or sanders but I'm sure there is a better way.

I don't have the details worked out fully yet but I'm planning a steel tube frame with dividers for baskets that pull out the front and a slab seat. I want it for my front entry to sit and take off boots and baskets for hats and mittens. Not sure what wood for the top yet. I have mostly oak with some maple. I'll have to see what is big enough for the seat depth and length.

Do you have any photos of yours you can post? Would love to check out your work. Also, how did you go about flattening your rough slabs? I was figuring hand planes and/or sanders but I'm sure there is a better way.

I heard that guys will rent floor sanders to smooth large slabs of wood. For a one shot deal, not a bad way to go.

jerry-

Floor sander... Good idea. If the going gets too slow with the tools I have I might try that.

View attachment 209234View attachment 209235

Check out Fine Woodworking's December issue. They feature an adjustable router jig for flattening big slabs. It may still be available on newsstands or you can subscribe on line. I think they have a free trial subscription.

Yeah, I get FWW. Great publication. I saw the sled that Nick designed. I might have to do that if I end up doing more than one of these. I hear milling is addictive. :)

Yeah, I get FWW. Great publication. I saw the sled that Nick designed. I might have to do that if I end up doing more than one of these. I hear milling is addictive. :)

Milling is very addictive. I hope you enjoy it. There is a lot of thrill in cutting boards out of a tree you found or dropped and making it into something.

Back