Lurker buying a saw needing advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only let down is that you didnt buy from a site sponser that sell them. Im sure the saw will suit your needs but if it needs anything warantee wise how is the ebay seller going to help you? At least our site sponsers can be contacted easily. JMO Good luck with your saw, share pictures if you can.

Think I just answered my own question. I need the 70 drive link, and not the 72.

The only let down is that you didnt buy from a site sponser that sell them. Im sure the saw will suit your needs but if it needs anything warantee wise how is the ebay seller going to help you? At least our site sponsers can be contacted easily. JMO Good luck with your saw, share pictures if you can.
Yea, I would buy from a site sponsor if they would have had one at that good a price. I looked at Baileys, but they don't carry them.

No, no help from the ebay seller. If this saw is that much of a let down then I'm going to be really surprised from what I have heard about it. Not saying it couldn't happen though.

I am not the guy who takes my stuff in for regular servicing, or any kind of adjusting. I cannot see how a chainsaw is going to be any different from my outboards that I routinely take care of my self, not to mention all the other 4 stroke equipment I own. The ONLY thing I let someone else work on is my wives car. Everything else gets done by me.

I know a lot of guys buy the Echo because of the 5 year warranty. Not me. Its a nice gimmick, but I have found warranty work by any manufacturer to be a pain in the arse in the past. I know there are some good guys out there. Some good shops. But you pay for it. I personally don't want it, so I'm not going to pay for something I don't want.

I didn't buy mine for the warranty either.I bought it as a guinea pig of sorts.congratulations on the buy keep us posted on how it goes.

I didn't buy mine for the warranty either.I bought it as a guinea pig of sorts.congratulations on the buy keep us posted on how it goes.
Will do. I'll take some pictures when it gets here. I'll take pictures of the mods I do also. And if I decide to come up to the GTG then I'll bring it along. But for the meantime, its gonna get some work done for sure.

Will do. I'll take some pictures when it gets here. I'll take pictures of the mods I do also. And if I decide to come up to the GTG then I'll bring it along. But for the meantime, its gonna get some work done for sure.
Congrats.. It should serve you well...
Next up??
Chain...
:laugh:

Congrats.. It should serve you well...
Next up??
Chain...
:laugh:
Got it ordered, along with a loop for my neighbor. Eventually I'll get me an 18" bar and a 24" bar for when I want to play around with doing some milling. Lol, I bet that made some people chuckle...

mix oil and ratio
Interesting you bring this up. Its one area I have never given much thought to. I have always, and I mean always, mixed somewhere in between 40:1 and 50:1. What I mean is that I keep it lower than a 50:1, but never under a 40:1. But, I've never been concerned with power or repeatability. So I guess I am going to have to take more of a specific approach to it now so I can get the most from the saw. I've done this for all my 2 cycle engines over the years and never had one lock up or fail compression wise ever.

Echo calls for 50:1, so I'll keep it close to that.

Got it ordered, along with a loop for my neighbor. Eventually I'll get me an 18" bar and a 24" bar for when I want to play around with doing some milling. Lol, I bet that made some people chuckle...
Earlier you said that the saw took a 70 link chain. A Poulan Pro 5020 takes a 70 link 3/8ths chain. It's really more of a 19" bar, so maybe you don't want to mess with an 18" because it's so close to what you are getting.

Don't hold me to it but it think the poulan bar will fit the echo.I know the old poulan beird models and old McCulloch bars will fit.in other words look for d176 mount bars.

Don't hold me to it but it think the poulan bar will fit the echo.I know the old poulan beird models and old McCulloch bars will fit.in other words look for d176 mount bars.
I think it does take d176 for a 16" chain. I found all the specs for the different bars somewhere but I don't have it available right now.

Earlier you said that the saw took a 70 link chain. A Poulan Pro 5020 takes a 70 link 3/8ths chain. It's really more of a 19" bar, so maybe you don't want to mess with an 18" because it's so close to what you are getting.
Your probably right. I bet it would run 18" better than 20", but they are pretty close and probably not significant enough to keep both on hand. Might come down to a penny pinching point one day though.

Back