M-Tronic is tracking you!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much is the software and updates?

The main hardware cost over $650.00, and that was on special. The battery unit hardware was close to $300.00
More often that not, there's a update, but you can override it. Downloading is always a problem. But is free.
They say to just download the entire software package and it over writes it.
Anyone with any computer experience knows it's rarely that simple.
The system does squat in the way of diagnosis for a system of its cost.

Fuel numbers, which can be extremely misleading

It gives hours which is nice.

It can test certain aspects of the control module.
Not all. And not where you can make a definite conclusion on replacing a 175.00 part.

It can check the solenoid for electrical response.
90% I see fail is because they leak.
There is a manual test for that.

Even at live service updates, it's recommended to replace part to be sure.

This is for something that is almost $1000.00

The main hardware cost over $650.00, and that was on special. The battery unit hardware was close to $300.00
More often that not, there's a update, but you can override it. Downloading is always a problem. But is free.
They say to just download the entire software package and it over writes it.
Anyone with any computer experience knows it's rarely that simple.
The system does squat in the way of diagnosis for a system of its cost.

Fuel numbers, which can be extremely misleading

It gives hours which is nice.

It can test certain aspects of the control module.
Not all. And not where you can make a definite conclusion on replacing a 175.00 part.

It can check the solenoid for electrical response.
90% I see fail is because they leak.
There is a manual test for that.

Even at live service updates, it's recommended to replace part to be sure.

This is for something that is almost $1000.00

Thanks for all of that! Sheesh! I suppose they have to make $$$ to stay in business!!

how have you found the reliability of the ssolenoids? The solenoid tester posted above at £13 sounds like a better route :laugh:

I like the system. Failure of solenoids were mostly on MS201T’s. They never declined one warranty. Even when saw was well past warranty. The problem is with the diagnostic program, not the saw.
And the easiest way to test the solenoid is to replace it.

And yes, they are watching you. I like the system, but won’t have one anywhere near my home.
I’ll use an axe.

I like the system. Failure of solenoids were mostly on MS201T’s. They never declined one warranty. Even when saw was well past warranty. The problem is with the diagnostic program, not the saw.
And the easiest way to test the solenoid is to replace it.

And yes, they are watching you. I like the system, but won’t have one anywhere near my home.
I’ll use an axe.

It’s just the start! Before we know it they will have transceivers built in so they can monitor how each saw is running real time without us knowing I’d imagine. Then EPA will get their dirty mitts on the data and software! Far fetched, but I don’t doubt it will happen! Our mobiles and tablets are the most invasive things we own. People track you, watch you through your cameras, listen through your microphone all while you have no idea. They steal data and private info too etc, it’s quite incredible.

As the owner of a fleet it would be nice to see what’s going on, and what equipment is being abused seeing as it’s assigned to a specific person or crew. Data isn’t a bad thing, and in this case it’s a chainsaw. It’s tracking performance, not your location and what you’re telling people.

Milwaukee’s whole deal linking to my smartphone isn’t for me, that much is for sure though. My tool does not need to be linked to something that can tell my location and the rest of the personal data on it.

"do you mind if I have a look in your saw"?

"We had an anonymous report of someone using non biodegradable bar oil"

(Forestry official in 2025)

"do you mind if I have a look in your saw"?

"We had an anonymous report of someone using non biodegradable bar oil"

(Forestry official in 2025)

Modified saws have been a ticket to get sent home on public ground for a long time if someone in forestry caught you, and the same with some private landowners. It sucks, but the landowner can dictate what you do in addition to law/industry regulations.

Bar oil would be a new one, though.

Back