M-Tronic Problems Solved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infoquest500

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I read this as a 2 year old comment under a 2016 youtube video about the Stihl ms261 C-M:

"The problems with the M-Tronic system isnt the system itself. Its the solenoids on the carbs. They have plastic internals that are delicate to ANY kind of grit that can pass through the 30 micron fuel filter. Stihl knows this. I'm a Stihl technician. They are working on solenoids that have metal internals that still are as flexible as the plastic ones that can withstand any grit. They cant use a more restrictive filter because it restricts the fuel flow too much. 99% of the M-Tronic problems will be solved by a new solenoid and resetting the controller back to factory settings. Just keep your fuel, fuel cans, and around the fuel cap clean and itll help alleviate the problem."

Does anyone have any idea if Stihl is currently using other solenoids on the carbs and if the M-Tronic system should no longer be feared? :)

Feared or not, it’s what is out there now. You certainly don’t hear many complaints about it, so that’s a good sign.
Well, there are still some stihl models out there without the M-Tronics carbs. Also, I asked precisely because I read so many complaints about it, and people warning to stay away from the M-Tronic models. And the Stihl technician that I quoted made it clear that Stihl was aware of all those complaints, too.

As a Stihl Technician you should already know that the improved solenoid valves and fuel filters are already in use. Right, the newer valves have a metal sealing surface and the updated pickup bodys are orange and much more fine (15 micron).
I quoted a Stihl technician, I am not a Stihl technician myself. And the quote was from 2 years ago, which is why I asked if the problems were solved now. I am glad to hear that apparently, changes were made by Stihl.

Could you clarify what you mean by the "orange pickup bodys"? Are you referring to the filters? No..?

(Do you happened to be a Stihl technician, b.t.w.?)

As a Stihl Technician you should already know that the improved solenoid valves and fuel filters are already in use. Right, the newer valves have a metal sealing surface and the updated pickup bodys are orange and much more fine (15 micron).
Does the Orange apply to the fuel pick ups made by Stihl?

We saw a lot of failures. But almost all on MS201T's.
Now how much is because of lack of service...who knows.
Very very few on any other saw.
In fact, I've only changed 1 that turned out to be actually bad.
The new generation system hasn't been a problem at all on the 201's
But when they fail, it's always the same symptoms.

What that old post said about fuel filters is what was known at the time.
That has changed. As DND 9000 posted

Is there anyone here that is using the m-tronic saws on wildland fire lines? I have a thread on a fire group and have gotten little feedback, so far. No comments on Stihl, but several had issues with the Husqvarna versions.

Are folks able to upgrade the older 261cm with the new parts?

Are folks able to upgrade the older 261cm with the new parts?
Yes. Everything is interchangeable between the v1 & the v2.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-A920F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

The 0000 120 5104 is the white one.
Umm. Yes, you are correct. Have you heard of a new green one? I was told by Virginia Beach that a green one was coming, back in the summer, when stock of an old one depletes. The saw I was working on at the time was a MS261CM.
Now, after searching, there's no sign of it.

Latest posts

Back