M-Tronic Problems Solved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!

And when ordering through the internet, it is a matter of contacting the supplier first to ask, I assume?
Just me, but I wouldnt be buying a new saw over the internet. If it has issues, I want my dealer to be there, and willing to work on it. Plus it's nice to support local businesses. If your getting used, ask the seller for pictures of the tags and serial numbers. It shouldn't be too hard for them to supply that information.

Just me, but I wouldnt be buying a new saw over the internet. If it has issues, I want my dealer to be there, and willing to work on it. Plus it's nice to support local businesses. If your getting used, ask the seller for pictures of the tags and serial numbers. It shouldn't be too hard for them to supply that information.
I agree.

I read this as a 2 year old comment under a 2016 youtube video about the Stihl ms261 C-M:

"The problems with the M-Tronic system isnt the system itself. Its the solenoids on the carbs. They have plastic internals that are delicate to ANY kind of grit that can pass through the 30 micron fuel filter. Stihl knows this. I'm a Stihl technician. They are working on solenoids that have metal internals that still are as flexible as the plastic ones that can withstand any grit. They cant use a more restrictive filter because it restricts the fuel flow too much. 99% of the M-Tronic problems will be solved by a new solenoid and resetting the controller back to factory settings. Just keep your fuel, fuel cans, and around the fuel cap clean and itll help alleviate the problem."

Does anyone have any idea if Stihl is currently using other solenoids on the carbs and if the M-Tronic system should no longer be feared? :)
Hi, I have a FS360 C-M clearing saw with a issue, no spark currently. The ignition module is 4147 4703 A SMT 1714, as far as I can tell this is a Mtronic v1 or lower than v2 as there's no markings on the ID sticker. I've checked HT to GND and got 1.68Kohm, flywheel magnets are yellow, solenoid resistance 20.75ohms, with the choke on I get a Diode test voltage of 0.3809 and when choke is off, 3.4294. All within the right values, spinning with a drill, just HT wire, intermittant spark, add plug boot, plug etc and no spark but occasionally spark is good. I think it's a thermal issue, I've tried spinning it while heating up the ignition unit with hair dryer, nothing... The only thing I can think of is the internal temperature sensor is faulty making it think it's over heated, do these early mtronic systems have overheat shutoff?? I'm repairing for my neighbor as a favour and no, I'd never buy the MDG1 tester. There is dirt before the fuel strainer, I've cleaned all that out and was going to buy a new filter and solenoid but if there's no spark I won't get anywhere with those parts. Any advice most welcome but I'd say module is toast.. The solenoid is black, the 1st few digits of the s/n is gonesky due to the label peeling. I've heard back from a supplier, pt# 4147 400 4720 is the replacement but I also found a picture of pt# 4147 400 4716 which looks identical apart from last 4 digits, original was 1714, the picture, 1732.. is the new ignition module have newer Mtronic Version and therefore need to change solenoid to green version??

I was just in the market for a new saw. I have been running saws for over 28 years, I can listen to a saw and know what it needs or what could be wrong. I went looking for a new saw and everyone was trying to sell me on this Mtronic system. One I do not see really how much time this system really saves you. I just reach into my back pocket to grab the screwdriver and problem solved. It's not like I had to adjust my saw every other minute. Each engine has its own personality, you learn it's quirks pretty quickly. You learn how to start it cold and how to start it hot and other things to keep it running. As far as a computer in a saw that controls gas to control power, it's a chainsaw, you cut with full power, for over 100 years saws ran at full power without a computer. The main thing I was worried about is this system set up to run the saw on the edge of too lean in order to meet EPA requirements. I do not know about any of you folks but I have always run my saw a little heavy on oil to make sure the piston and rings and bearings are properly lubricated. Spark plugs are still cheap and easier to replace then the internals. I was also afraid that the Mtronic system would flip out with the little bit extra oil I add to the mix. I was looking at the MS462, everyone wanted me to buy the MS462C-M. I knew that the 462 came in a tried-and-true carburetor, that's what I wanted but the salespeople were not hearing me I guess. Until I went to a small local shop. They watched me look at the saws and after 5 minutes asked me if I needed help, I told him what I wanted and 15 Minutes later I was walking out the door with the old school MS462. He kept the carburetor models in the back.

I was just in the market for a new saw. I have been running saws for over 28 years, I can listen to a saw and know what it needs or what could be wrong. I went looking for a new saw and everyone was trying to sell me on this Mtronic system. One I do not see really how much time this system really saves you. I just reach into my back pocket to grab the screwdriver and problem solved. It's not like I had to adjust my saw every other minute. Each engine has its own personality, you learn it's quirks pretty quickly. You learn how to start it cold and how to start it hot and other things to keep it running. As far as a computer in a saw that controls gas to control power, it's a chainsaw, you cut with full power, for over 100 years saws ran at full power without a computer. The main thing I was worried about is this system set up to run the saw on the edge of too lean in order to meet EPA requirements. I do not know about any of you folks but I have always run my saw a little heavy on oil to make sure the piston and rings and bearings are properly lubricated. Spark plugs are still cheap and easier to replace then the internals. I was also afraid that the Mtronic system would flip out with the little bit extra oil I add to the mix. I was looking at the MS462, everyone wanted me to buy the MS462C-M. I knew that the 462 came in a tried-and-true carburetor, that's what I wanted but the salespeople were not hearing me I guess. Until I went to a small local shop. They watched me look at the saws and after 5 minutes asked me if I needed help, I told him what I wanted and 15 Minutes later I was walking out the door with the old school MS462. He kept the carburetor models in the back.
Mtronic and auto tune don't care what oil ratio you run, or if you gut the muffler, port the saw and will keep the saw from blowing up even from pretty bad air leaks. They are also very reliable. It's a regular old carb with a fuel solenoid on it. Nothing really new or exciting. Never seen one that ran anywhere near as lean as a regular carb saw from the factory. Your fear is unfounded.

BS.

THEY ARE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS.

FEARS ARE WELL FOUNDED
I have 4 different models of the mtronic saws. Notone issue and they all have gallons of mix through them. Where I see problems in threads here are where guys try and do some "improvements" on them and then have issues. Yes there are some knowledgeable guys that can eek a little bit more out of them without issues but they are in an elite group and have worked on hundreds of saws. Just my 2 pennies.

The small percent that have issues are dwarfed by those that don't have issues. Nothing different then a carb saw. They had ignition and fuel systems too. Stop fear mongering. Or we'll go back to riding horses everywhere.
Or sthl using oil lamps and lanterns.

If you live where it gets cold, or hot, they still have trouble. Lots. LOTS of guys having trouble on the job this past winter. Still.

crews of about 30-50 sawhands on each project. Almost every day several no-starts. That's why each guy has to have several saws in the truck. Used to be one. Then it became for sure two. Now it's several.

most of those guys hatem' , as they lose money every hour they **** with saws. They do not make life easier whatsoever.

it is not insignificant in harsh climates.

Fact. Not fear mongering.

If you live where it gets cold, or hot, they still have trouble. Lots. LOTS of guys having trouble on the job this past winter. Still.

crews of about 30-50 sawhands on each project. Almost every day several no-starts. That's why each guy has to have several saws in the truck. Used to be one. Then it became for sure two. Now it's several.

most of those guys hatem' , as they lose money every hour they **** with saws. They do not make life easier whatsoever.

it is not insignificant in harsh climates.

Fact. Not fear mongering.
Sounds like an regional issue, maybe ypu should find a better dealer. There's plenty of guys here that run them in hot temps and cold weather. Your issues would be a statistical out lier, ie not normal.

I've ran mine more in single digits an a few times in the 90's. Neither my choice cutting temps but no saw issues.
I did most my cutting during sumer last year, zero hot start issues, zero cold start issues. Used it plenty this winter, though it's been a pore example of the cold. Still started in 4 pulls on start.

Back