Ma and Pop shops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uwharrie said:
I applaud anyone who sells only chainsaws and is able to stay in business, it has to be a well run tight ship. The margins are tight and we have so many variables to deal with, such as the weather, price increases and customers who demand us to absorb the increase. Increasing overhead, employees, building rent or up keep as well as increased competition by many manufacturers to sell their products at the no so discount stores ( their pricing is not less than your dealers, don't let anyone fool you). If you look at the value a dealer gives and you really knew the facts about his business, you would buy from him. There are some dealers that charge too much but I guess you could use that argument against these stores that lure you in and offer NO SERVICE and charge in my area higher prices than I sell my saws for. Would you never go back in that so called discount store because they were $60.00 higher than my store and go tell everyone how high they are. Most of you would not, but flip it around and let me be $60.00 higher than them on a Husqvarna 359 and you will tell everybody. WE the dealers have a image problem and it's not our prices but your assumption of them. We all think that big store is cheaper, right, as they don't have any overhead. They make more profit than we do yet they have managed to convince the public they don't make any money. WOW how smart do you have to be to look at their stores and see that they spend money on selling and they do not spend money on customer service? When's the last time you walked in a big box and they sharpened your chain while you waited and offered you something to drink or treated you with respect. This could take days, I'll have to continue another time. Tony

This from a guy that ignores his dealers agreements and whores himself all over the internet, Priceless!

Well. You can't please all of the people all of the time. We sure try. I'm lucky enough to be a service oriented shop. Our bills are paid for by the equipment we service (mostly box store stuff...why? because it breaks all the time). We can offer some discounts and be competitive because we don't rely solely on new sales to keep us up and running. I have a huge amount of respect for the shops that can do only saws and handheld equipment. Our shop has a showroom....but the showroom is just a short stop on the way to the real business, the service area.

If a dealer can take care of all your service and parts concerns mostly all the time....they are the dealer to frequent. Can they give you the best price on every piece of equipment, maybe. Should you give your regular dealer a chance to make a sale you might be suprised. People ask me for a deal or the best price, etc. I usually ask what i'm being compared to. Cuz the HD and other box stores aren't going to service it. If i'm up against another dealer with a better price I tell them if they want to try and get a better deal, do some leg work. Get it in writing, make sure to get the model and serial number because I can't match a piece of equipment that is older or some sort of special giveaway from the manufacturer.

It boils down to service. Whether it's service on your saw or just being treated politely in the front room. Don't get pizzed when the guy can't match the box store or internet price from some huge chain, if you aren't a repeat customer don't expect him to roll over. I always expect to pay close to list price the first time I buy a piece of equipment, afterwards I expect some more consideration. Just my $0.02.

spacemule said:
I don't want something to drink or respect, I want my damn saw for a good price in a punctual manner. :hmm3grin2orange:

Customer service is really an interesting issue. Sure, we all get huffy and complain about poor customer service, but the box stores continue to grow. My particularlar favorites are the customers who come in about once a week and are upset because they have to wait five minutes while you help another customer or you don't have the pinkly shaded orange self-battery changing widgets made for changing batteries that the other places have. They will storm off huffily saying "Fine!! I'm going to Lowe's!! I'm not ever setting foot in here again!!" Then they'll glare at you while you smile politely and wish them a nice day, and as soon as they're gone you say to yourself "See ya next week arsehole!" :)

I know those type your talking about Space, I'm one of them,LOLOL,naaaaaaaa. Space ma and pa have a much slower pace business and a different type of customer. Today I stood in front of the Stihl rack giving this customer that I've never seen before the complete history of Stihl that he was requesting. He wanted everything about Stihl products to what size drawers ole Daddy Stihl wore before he bought anything. After 35 minutes he goes well I'm sold but I'm not buying today. I thought to myself ok, thanks for wasting my time,LOLOL I said well we're here when you do decide to buy and we will stand behind anything you buy here. With that he smiled, shooked my hand and away he went. I know as well as I'm typing this he will be back and I will get in his wallet and I know too he will become one of my regulars. How do I know this, I've already gave him what most box stores won't nor can, my time. Box stores are so fast pace they don't have time for these types of customers. Ma and pa does. Beside's if he doesn't come back and buy I will personally burn down his house, slap his kids, kick his dog and cuss his moma,LOL Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get the sale,hehe

Hmmm

sedanman said:
This from a guy that ignores his dealers agreements and whores himself all over the internet, Priceless!

I never woulda guessed that dude was a prostitute... No ****..

This is funny today, since I stopped into a new Stihl "dealer" to get a couple of simple parts. They were apparently a new dealer, since the displays and even the building were pretty new. The one thing they didn't have, was parts. I needed an "e" clip for the sprocket, something that any dealer should have a dozen of. He offered to take one off of one of his saws on the floor, but I told him I couldn't have him do that. Nice to offer though.

Kind of like my Husky dealer. Having a 3120 on the prairie, okay, I accept the fact that I will have to special order everything. They don't know much, but they are always nice. Same thing with parts on the 066...I'll have to special order 1/2-2/3 of everything since it isn't a very common saw in the area. I'm okay with that. I'm willing to wait for the parts to come in with their next order...don't have to special order it on a separate ship. My local Stihl dealer has now taken to charging me "shipping charges" on top of juicing the retail. I was okay with shipping charges when I needed a part outside of his regular order, but I thought that charging me shipping when I helped him make freight on a regular order was a bit much.

What do I expect? Nice people, knowledgable people, basic parts, not to get hosed over twice for parts, some kind of saw inventory for when my Super XL needs to retire, a decent selection of chain in relevant sizes, the ability to service my saw should it need it (I can do most things a saw will ever need), and a reasonable assortment of accessories.

I'm not after a "deal", I don't do enough business with either to expect that. When it comes time to buy a saw, I expect to pay retail, but be given an extra chain or two on a $500+ saw. But above everything else...have a clue and treat me right...and as you see, I don't need much, nor expect much.

Mark

sedanman, Sorry but I didn't know that you have read any agreements that I have with any manufacturers that I do business with. Our business is up front and we are not hiding behind anyone. I sell equipment and we provide a service. We are a stocking dealer for all the brands we sell. I will not call you a name or go to that level. Tony

To add................I stopped in a "newer" Stihl dealer ( maybe open for 1 to 3 yrs.) on a Sunday afternoon. I needed an air filter for my 361. I figured that they wouldn't have the part in stock but since I pass this dealer I figured I would save a trip. When I asked him about the filter his reply was "Our parts guys isn't in today come back tomorrow."

Well guess what..............as far as I am concerned if you are open someone should be there that can lookup the part, take the part # and have the guy order it on Monday. I haven't and won't go back there.

Let me add that this was the first and only time this happened at a Stihl dealer.

I will drive out of my way from now on to deal with someone who knows!!!

Uwharrie said:
I applaud anyone who sells only chainsaws and is able to stay in business, it has to be a well run tight ship. The margins are tight and we have so many variables to deal with, such as the weather, price increases and customers who demand us to absorb the increase. Increasing overhead, employees, building rent or up keep as well as increased competition by many manufacturers to sell their products at the no so discount stores ( their pricing is not less than your dealers, don't let anyone fool you). If you look at the value a dealer gives and you really knew the facts about his business, you would buy from him. There are some dealers that charge too much but I guess you could use that argument against these stores that lure you in and offer NO SERVICE and charge in my area higher prices than I sell my saws for. Would you never go back in that so called discount store because they were $60.00 higher than my store and go tell everyone how high they are. Most of you would not, but flip it around and let me be $60.00 higher than them on a Husqvarna 359 and you will tell everybody. WE the dealers have a image problem and it's not our prices but your assumption of them. We all think that big store is cheaper, right, as they don't have any overhead. They make more profit than we do yet they have managed to convince the public they don't make any money. WOW how smart do you have to be to look at their stores and see that they spend money on selling and they do not spend money on customer service? When's the last time you walked in a big box and they sharpened your chain while you waited and offered you something to drink or treated you with respect. This could take days, I'll have to continue another time. Tony

Tony does make a very interesting point that just have to expand on. It is the FALSE image that Home Cheapo and Slowes have lower prices than dealers. So many people are absolutely shocked to find that my prices are often better than the box stores who guarantee that they have the lowest prices.

Those stores only guarantee to beat a competitors price IF YOU FIND IT. It is NOT a guarantee that everything in the store is already priced lower than everywhere else, although they would like you to believe it.. You can see the light go on over their head and they say "yeah, your right!" Then they buy from me.

One more note, and I say it with plenty of sarcasm: I know for a fact that my store sells more equipment, dollar wise, than either the Slowes or Homeless Depot does in my market. They certainly sell more units, since they sell so much cheap junk, but, as far as equipment goes, when you add it up, they're in my shadow.

Uwharrie said:
sedanman, Sorry but I didn't know that you have read any agreements that I have with any manufacturers that I do business with. Our business is up front and we are not hiding behind anyone. I sell equipment and we provide a service. We are a stocking dealer for all the brands we sell. I will not call you a name or go to that level. Tony

Pretty sure Dolmar and Redmax have a standardized dealer agreement, I have read and signed both of these and abide by the rules. I have seen the Stihl dealer agreement but didn't sign it.

Heard from Terry lately?

Uwharrie.

I'm not busting your chops at all here but was wondering. My newest DOLMAR and RedMax agreements signed within the last 6 months both get really touchy about selling saws via mail-order. My thinking is that if a dealer wants to put the time and effort into developing a good website and system for selling equipment via the internet then they are entitled to the sales. Especially for the logger who doesn't have a dealership within 100 miles and really wants that 7900 or the EBZ8001. That being said, my distributors for both RedMax and Dolmar would string me up if i got caught selling saws without personally demonstrating them and setting them up and showing all the features including safety and basic maintenance. Anyway, if your distributors are cool with your situation then I say more power to you ans SELL DOLMAR. Make it a household name. We need the brand recognition. If I hear another customer say..."Who makes Dolmar?" or "Dolmar? never heard of them, are they new?" I'll hurt someone. Jay

spike60

AMEN

I agree with you on sales of OPE at Slowes verus Dealers. Most people would find it hard to believe that a Dealer sells more $$$ of OPE but I know the Truth.

...Got a free Stihl 18" bar today from my dealer.
Made me happy. Oh yeah, I did buy a new snowblower from him today though. :D

You can price them any way you want. There can be some restrictions with some companies on advertising prices.

They give you a manufacturers suggested retail price and let you sell it for whatever you want to. Anything else would be illegal (price fixing) If wanted to sell all of my saws for $50 less than I paid for them they would let me, as long as I found a way to pay for them. I can sell for what ever price I want, there are restrictions on the price I may ADVERTISE. For examlpe I can sell em at 50 percent off but I'd only be able to advertise the fact that I was having a sale, the price would be too low to advertise.

A thought on pricing. Distributors have a lot to do with pricing of equipment. For example. 1 of my distributors requires a relatively small booking order to get the best dealer price...which allows us more room to wiggle on prices. A lot of my equipment is sitting on my floor way below list price. On the other hand, I have a distributor who wants me to purchase an outrageous amount of equipment for a very small break in price. I don't sell as much of their equipment because of this.

New guy

1st post new here.My shop used to be big commercial logging outfitter. Now small stihl dealer with wood stoves. Bought my 044 there. Shopped around at other dealers. Sold me my saw 3 chains bar oil engine oil and sales tax out the door for average suggested retail price. They liked the cash. Sad to see them shrink from nearly a half block with yarders and rigging down to 2500 square feet in a little shop strip next to subway. Madsen's in Centralia has large supply of pro gear and equipment. Have always had good service with small dealers and when they know you they seem much more helpful getting you out of a pinch.:greenchainsaw:

rahtreelimbs, We cannot be made to sell anything at any price as that's price fixing and it's against the LAW. I have been pushed around by a manufacturer that I'll not state the name because of they are forcing me to put pricing at retail on my site. Husqvarna doesn't have any pricing guidelines that I know of. Stihl's main concern is no sales and they certainly do not enforce any pricing as I know of some dealers that only sell Stihl with a discounted price. The exception can be if a manufacturer helps in the funding of an ad they have the right not to co-op the ad if you go below a MAP Price ( Miniminum Advertised Price ). Our store does not sell Dolmar online any longer, but I'll have to disagree with the terms used in the contract as it is not clear. When we were aproached to sell Dolmar our sales rep was adviced of our intentions and he even seen our site. As I read the agreement it doesn't say no internet sales. However our store has been in business for 46 years without them and I see no reason I can't continue to be blessed. It's only business. I in no way try to provoke anyone, just selling OPE is in my BLOOD. By the Way our Online Store is not paid for with any co-op money and I own it.

Ya know

Ya know, what we should all be thinkin. What the he11 can you buy from Slowes or Home Cheapo that you are going to use to cut a ton of firewood or logs with anyways? They only sell cheap homeowner saws made for the OCCASIONAL user. If most of us were trying to cut 50-100 cord of wood a year with these, we'd be buying new saws all the time.

Good point Cisco guy

Spent a lot of time bucking 4-5 foot diameter logs with an 044 wishing for an 066. Would like to see one of their saws pull a 32-36 inch bar:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back