Mac 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daemon2525

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a big saw to play around with. Does anyone have an opinion on the MAC 250. IT looks to be an 80cc saw.

I just need something that will handle a 24" or larger bar for the rare occasion that i have.

A good running Mac 250 will run a 24" 3/8 bar with ease. I have put a 32" full skip 3/8 on one for fun and it did fine. I fixed up a Mac 300 for my father to use with a 24" 3/8 hard tip setup and he loved it. I just recently got it back after a couple of years and it is still doing fine. He cut oaks in Virgina with it and loved the torque. They are not fast but they are a good saw. The manual oiler can make your thumb sore.

I've got a 34" bar on mine, used it ripping through a stump once, it handled that like it was cardboard. potent and powerful. but its only got a 6k rpm top end, so dont expect it to be fast like a 346XP or something.

I posted this in another thread a couple weeks ago.
"Maybe some of you are getting tired of me bragging about my stock Mac 250, but it will cut faster than a stock 044. The Mac is 80cc, the stihl is 71. I have run this saw for 3 yrs at a local contest, and the only saws that beat it in the 5cu and under class sound like they have been modified, and the 7900. I have a roller tip bar with 3/8 round chisel, and a 9pin sprocket to get some chain speed and lug the engine in the 10" square wood. That said, I never take this vibrating beast into the woods. It doesn't start well, and it's heavy. The new saws are so much better. But I really have fun showing up with this 40 year old saw, and beating a bunch of new saws at a contest. Here is a link to a video of this saw at Washigton Co. WI fair contest in July 06."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54v0dIoPz_8
Scott

Back