Mac 4900 rebuild works!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kodiakfisher

kodiakfisher

ArboristSite Member
My first saw rebuild and she fired on the second pull, It took about one day to complete the rebuild and had to let the seals harden before I would try and start her up. Many thanks again to AS for all the advice and learning I was able to do to make this possible. I had intended to sell the saw but that seems unheard of here on AS. Plus the memories with my daughter that where made I just don't think I can part with the saw now.

I have some really great pictures of my 2.5 year old helping me with the rebuild. My two favorite quotes "your in my way move please" and "you took my tool"

I have a question I was unable to get the metal plugs/caps out of the carb how do you guys get those out??

cbfarmall

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I think you're supposed to drill a hole through it, and then pop them out. You should never need to take those out unless the passage behind one is plugged solid or one is leaking. For a normal carby rebuild, you can leave them alone.

Chris B.

Chris J.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ditto what Chris B. and Max posted. I, too, carefully punched a hole in them, then pried them out. I've since learned that unless there's good reason to remove/replace them, leave them be.

kodiakfisher

kodiakfisher

ArboristSite Member
I have now tuned the carb wouldn't idle due to being too rich lean it out and make a touch richer on the high side set the idle and WOW she really screams what a difference a carb rebuild and new piston ring will make. Now instead of feeling like she is barely running it has some snap and pop to her.

Good thing I didn't complete the rebuild prior to getting my 357xp my wife would have never gone for it. :) :) :)

Too late now, I now have three saws:

Husky (Poulan) 141 $80 used but like brand new
Mac 4900 beat to death...almost was my learning saw
Husky 357 beneficiary of previous saws beatings

Kodiakfisher

Latest posts