machine life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayweber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i see so many used chippers and stump grinders with 900 hours or some with 2000 plus hours. Now i know how cars work 100k miles time for a rebuild but i dont know how long a chipper would last before major work needs to be done.

Really depends on the maintainence it receives and the way it is operated. Frequent oil changes, air filters, clean radiator all will help a chipper last longer. Not letting it warm up or cool down all shorten the life of an engine. Most chippers are built with industrial type motors that are designed to last longer and handle abuse to an extent. Most owner operated equipment will have a longer life than municipal or larger company equipment.

My rule of thumb is to look at the outside of the machine. If it looks beat up, and there are not piles of grease coming out of the bearings then likely someone didnt treat as good as they should. Now if the grease dripping off the bearings and just normal wear scratches and such then mostl ikely it was a well maintained piece of equipment.

a couple thousand hours isnt much on the these machines. Well maintained they can last many thousands of hours. I would rather have a well treated machine with 2500 hrs than a misused up one with 750.

But to answer you question, there is no real end to long one can last properly used.

Back