Macintosh needs replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarsFromMars

Reaction score
I have a mature apple tree , a mature pear tree, and a Magnolia tree, all about 25 feet tall in the back yard of my 6 flat in Niles Ilinois.
The apple tree has Carpenter ants and rot 2 feet from the ground on the trunk which was cut at the fork many years before I bought the building.
The tree could fall on power lines, or the pool, plus it's been neglected for years, and finally, I would prefer to get a Macintosh. I forgot what kind of apples it produces, but it produced a healthy bunch of them two years ago.
It might be granny smith apples.
I am an amature at this but am determined to learn all I can about Macintoshes and buy two and plant them.
Is there a reason that the Apple and pear tree were planted together 15 feet apart. Will the pear tree suffer if I cut down the apple tree?
Where can I buy a really healthy Macintosh tree that is not a dwarf, not grow 30 feet high, but about 12 feet high?
I am in Niles Illinois, just Northwest of Chicago.
I also want to buy another Macintsh to plant at Mom's property in Des plaines, about 5 miles west.
I can pick them up within 100 miles if that would help.
Thanks
Lars ( 847) 692-4181

Carpenter ands and rot in an apple trunk are very common. The tree can produce for years with those conditions. If you want to replace it fine. No problem for the pear (actually it should benefit since 15' spacing is less than ideal). The best way to obtain a replacement tree would be to enquire/order from your local nursery. Stark is a mailorder supplier who can supply Bare root trees as can Michigan Bulb Co. (I think). I don't have addresses but you can try a Web search. The container grown trees that the local nursery can provide cost more but are definitely worth it IMHO. I too love Macs but there are some newer varieties that are similar but hardier/more disease resistant (again look for a helpful nurseryman who is at least competent enough to look things up for you.) For the size you are desiring check on semi dwarf trees.

Back