Made a Kindling Splitter today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he knew you'd be needing that "cave".

that's why he dug it out.

Dogs can indeed be quite psychic at times. Or perhaps just practical, hard coded DNA in them where and when wild dogs that had dens survived, those that didn't, not so good...

I used a 1"solid bar on mine and added a base. It works totally awesome.

split.JPG

That looks great. I like the base and how it won't go all the way down to the bottom, and bugger up the wedge. :hmm3grin2orange:

In order to help stabalize the unit it would be cool to make it so it slides into the hitch receiver on the truck. Depending where you weld the receiver post you could use it in one position for splitting the log, but then rotate it 180 degrees for traveling.

Neat idea. I've been wanting to get froe or what some would call a shingle splitter to split kindling.

I think a froe would be neat. I just can't find an inexpensive one.

I guess I could baton a few pieces with a knife. Might do some of that just for kicks one day.

I think a froe would be neat. I just can't find an inexpensive one.

I guess I could baton a few pieces with a knife. Might do some of that just for kicks one day.

I've had the same problem, guess I need to bite the bullet and just buy one. I have tried the knife baton thing and it will work but it ain't the best thing for the knife. (used a large Ek military knife).... When you're doing it you just know that a froe would be a lot easier.:smile2:

I wonder if there is a market for just kindling

Local guy works for a moulding company. Brings home the scraps (for free) on his trailer in fork-lift sized bundles metal banded together.

Chop saws them down to size, ties a string around them, puts them out on an honor system stand on his front lawn (pretty good location on a state highway). Gonna guess he uses a 5 gallon bucket to size a bundle. $4/bundle.

Can't keep up with demand.

Winter time it's the firewood folks, summer time it's the campers. Some of the summer time business is chimera burners who only want a short fire in the evening for a beer or glass of wine and don't want a long burning fire.

I buy 4-5 bundles a year, mostly used either side of the season (stove is usually running hard 12/15 -- 3/15 and I'll barely use any). 2nd best bang for my buck other then the gasoline for the saw.

I've had the same problem, guess I need to bite the bullet and just buy one. I have tried the knife baton thing and it will work but it ain't the best thing for the knife. (used a large Ek military knife).... When you're doing it you just know that a froe would be a lot easier.:smile2:

My $7 camp axe is working fine, but I have thought about getting a surplus bayonet (<$10) and perhaps attaching it to some pipe to make something that sorta resembles a froe. Odds are that I won't get around to this because my current system works, but if/when I head over to Smoky Mtn Knife Works, I might have to pick up a bayonet anyway.

One of my dogs years ago would drag in a whole giant brush pile, plus some decent logs. He was always trying to do what I was doing. I mean he just got it into his head one day to drag in a stout deadfall branch, after watching me do it, then he went nuts with it, kept me in campfire wood at my camp.

That's the same dog went up the cliff and banzaied off into the water, after watching me and some local kids do it. This was like 40 feet, my limit on how far I want to do that (or that I ever have).

Same dog, same camp, decides he needs a den, so he, over around a week or so, excavates out this *huge* under an old stump den cave. So, one weekend, my bud comes over to my camp and both our girlfriends..this big storm comes up, it is tearing the tent up, so I said, "quick, down into Blue's cave"! We all fit! Four people plus one large dog, we all sat out that storm down there.

Ya know when the dog's tellin the story it's "That human just wants to do whatever I do. Fetch sticks, go swimming, everything. I built a small den for a little privacy and he just had to crawl into it with his human friends."

I just knock a few small pieces off the night's wood with a hatchet when I'm starting a fire. I put some Birch bark in the end of the woodbox for the wife to use. Plus she has those wally world cheat sticks. A few years ago I was using the ends of the battens I put on the barn for kindling. One night, as I was watching the small flames quickly grow into a good, hot fire I realized I hadn't acquired near enough fire extinguishers for the barn.

Saw this in the Northern Tool catalog:

Wel-Bilt Manual Slide Hammer Log Splitter Item# 119980 (around $40).

Similar to the Bailey's one (post # 11 in this thread), but simpler, without the stand. Might be good for someone who does not want to swing an axe or maul.

Philbert

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back