Made up my own length guide for large logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
9MVC-014S.JPG

Here is another little project I've been meaning to do. When bucking up larger logs to be split I sometimes misjudge the length. That and when called upon to do firewood for others who need it shorter I mess up. Got a magnet from HF for around $7.00.

9MVC-015S.JPG

The way they made this is that the nut is trapped inside. Instead of sticking a screwdriver in there to tighten it, I'll just make a self locking strap with a 1/4" 20 thread.

9MVC-016S.JPG

Found a piece of scrap with a threaded hole all ready in it. Just cut and ground it so it would slide in the slot.

9MVC-017S.JPG

Got a length of stainless rod from the steel pile and spun it down to put some 1/4" 20 threads on it. I premeasured the length to 22" to the edge of the magnet(far side)

9MVC-018S.JPG

Took it out and threaded it. I'll put a nut on the outside to act as a lock nut.

9MVC-019S.JPG

Here it is all together and locked in place. I also spun a relief and marked it in red at 15 inches. This way I can get that length right with the same tool. You can mark what ever length you need this way.

MVC-001S.JPG

Here is a close up of the cut in relief and painted red marker.

9MVC-020S.JPG

Magnet is plenty strong and just snap it on and you have a quick length guide.

MVC-021S.JPG

Quick and easy and have really like how this has worked so far.

Nice engineering. Looks good

But that would be another thing I would lose step on or fall on my foot.
Me I measured from the tip of the bar to the side of the saw and put a 16" and a 24" mark with a paint stick on the side of the saw. I put the marked end on butt end of the log and pick the back of the saw up and where the tip touches is where I cut.
I do have a 1/2" pvc pipe that's 12 feet long with a screw in one end that I use to cut trees to correct size for my processor

I made this type of tool out of one of those telescoping trailer hitch line-up thingys...you know, with the magnet and the yellow ball on the end. I removed the ball and put on a little spring that hung down to the log. It worked great except the magnet was not strong enough to deal with the vibration when the chain touched wood...magnet would slip down...chain tooth would catch it and give the whole deal a good toss

So you need to remove when cutting? Or you are using for limbing and cut with end of bar?
Am I missing something?
It is after midnight....

I just use it to mark the larger rounds over 2 ft in diameter. I've noticed in the past that I tend to make lengths longer on larger rounds because my sense of scale gets thrown off for some reason. Maybe that is just me but it's something I wanted to solve. I bucked up a near 4 ft ash for a neighbor today and he wanted 16 - 18. I used the marker and sawed some up. after doing so I looked at it and they looked too small. measured with a tape and they were 17 inches.

I attached it to the bar on a small saw and just tap saw marks down the length of the log. Shut small saw off and then use the bigger one to cut it up.

I just use it to mark the larger rounds over 2 ft in diameter. I've noticed in the past that I tend to make lengths longer on larger rounds because my sense of scale gets thrown off for some reason. Maybe that is just me but it's something I wanted to solve. I bucked up a near 4 ft ash for a neighbor today and he wanted 16 - 18. I used the marker and sawed some up. after doing so I looked at it and they looked too small. measured with a tape and they were 17 inches.

I attached it to the bar on a small saw and just tap saw marks down the length of the log. Shut small saw off and then use the bigger one to cut it up.
Ah! I get it. That's pretty cool. Nice work!

That is odd. It is just the opposite for me. When I try to eyeball the bigger the log the shorter I tend to cut. A 6" diameter limb will come out about 18-19" and a 24" log at about 12".

Harry K

I have been using my small saw to mark the logs but I have used a ruler cut from a yardstick. Using a mag mount on your small saw also gives you the option of moving from either side of the log, which would be very helpful when cutting in the woods.

Kevin what are you running for a lathe?

It's a pre 1900's Putnam lathe. Pretty wore out but I make do with it. I have a Reid surface grinder that will do anything with a close tolerance. I do a lot of stuff the old school way(read slowly) but you have to work with what you have. All about desire and willingness to do what it takes to reach your goal.

It's a pre 1900's Putnam lathe. Pretty wore out but I make do with it. I have a Reid surface grinder that will do anything with a close tolerance. I do a lot of stuff the old school way(read slowly) but you have to work with what you have. All about desire and willingness to do what it takes to reach your goal.
Agreed, I am keeping my eye's peeled for one myself, Gotta be cheap so it might take me a whitle to find one.

Gotta tell you, the mingo marker seems to be the best thing since sliced bread for cranking out large quantities of rounds from logs. I've used it on 40" logs and little pecker poles under 4". Always get 16" rounds and it allows you to cut fast and steady. Keep the bar buried and throttle open!

Latest posts

Back