Making choices;

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I good friend of mine said some years ago, with respect to making choices "You can do anything you want, you just can't do everything you want." I'm guessing for most of us that is probably pretty close to true, in which case we make big and little choices every day.

Yesterdays choice, was to post the TW-6 for sale. It was a rather big choice for me, as my wood source to keep it busy did not work out. It gets occasional use, but the SSHD is my splitter of choice for the smaller logs I now routinely get. When I get six to ten larger logs set aside I love to get the TW-6 out, use the log lift, and make quick work of splitting them up. However, in two years there is less than seventy hours run time, and probably 50% or less, if even that much, that is actual splitting time as I use by myself.

I hate to see it go, as it is a big beautiful machine to use. I chose a name brand machine, then picking it over the TW-5 for the long haul, with its bigger, key start, twin Honda, huge hydraulic tank, large separate fuel tank, truly impressive 5" x 24" x 3 1/2" cylinder, dump valve, and respectable speed. Modifying the four-way wedge only a few weeks after getting the splitter was an indescribable improvement for resplitting and single handed use.

The trade off is, selling the TW-6 will let me shift my attention to a larger delivery truck much sooner rather than much later. Delivery up till now has been with a flatbed, which has been a great deal of time and effort hand unloading. And, as my son with a Masters in Business pointed out, the TW-6 isn't making any money, or reducing the work load, if I'm not using it. I countered that I stand to loose I fair amount from what I paid, but he suggested that may not be the best way to look at it.

I'm picturing a bit more noodles in my future. I've been dragging my feet, but I think it's a good choice to move on from, and to something else.

What similar choices have you made?

A lot of choices have ****** outcomes either way...at least this one allows you to free up cash to invest in something you'll use more.

Once the splitter goes, then I'll take another hit selling the truck I have now. That is money that can't be recovered, but no point in letting it hold me back either. In one word I guess it would be called experience.
It is good that you are forward thinking and willing to endure taking a hit now to make things better in the future.

Too many folks will not sell an asset that will cause a loss even if it is proven that they will get a long term gain from doing it.

Can`t move forward without moving. At least it`s a TW6 and not a computer that would be worthless after a couple of years. Have to remember that the TW likely added some leisure time to your life by saving you time and you can`t put a price on that. And now you get to spend time making sure that your truck or trailer purchase is the correct decision at this stage of your business. Sometimes it would be great to just be an employee.

Craigs List - cash or credit card - person to person with ID if you can do those. If doing the credit card route make sure you have an invoice in duplicate signed by both of you with full name, address, and Phone #, buyer and yourself . This is to protect yourself not the buyer. Hard for a credit company to argue with the aforementioned information in black and white.

Also did a CraigsList ad for Holland, MI.
I got a response to buy with PayPal.
No small talk, no questions, no barter. I turned down a PayPal form of payment, and asked for a phone number to talk.
No response as yet.
Don't really expect one either.
Googled the persons name and got seventy eight hits.

Hello neighbor, I received the same from a add I placed recently on CL to. Asked them to give me a call with no call. Typical these days!

Hello neighbor, I received the same from a add I placed recently on CL to. Asked them to give me a call with no call. Typical these days!
Unfortunately that is far too common with online sales these days. Or the always fruitful sounding offer where they will pay you for shipping and the goods and you pay the shipper.

I tried to sell my sports car for 4 months this winter.

No babies on the way, no foreclosure.

Decided to keep it when i couldnt get what it's worth and reevaluate this spring. It's extremely useless and I'd rather have the money invested in a truck, tools, business.

Toys are nice but I can always get another. I HATE taking losses on stuff, when I don't overpay to begin with.

Cash deal in your local Sheriff's parking lot. And tell them this upfront. It's for both sides benefit.

Hmm... I'd have to check extradition laws first... (not really)
I did get another email saying he was "on base...", and ignored my request for his phone number.
I'm just going to leave it a lone and not respond further.
90% was written %90, and earlier, "I will like to pay you..."

It just doesn't feel right.

I tried to sell my sports car for 4 months this winter.

No babies on the way, no foreclosure.

Decided to keep it when i couldnt get what it's worth and reevaluate this spring. It's extremely useless and I'd rather have the money invested in a truck, tools, business.

Toys are nice but I can always get another. I HATE taking losses on stuff, when I don't overpay to begin with.

4 months this summer I meant.

It is good that you are forward thinking and willing to endure taking a hit now to make things better in the future.

Too many folks will not sell an asset that will cause a loss even if it is proven that they will get a long term gain from doing it.

Do you have a personal experience?

I'm trying to build a case for myself getting rid of this goofy car that I love so much.

I good friend of mine said some years ago, with respect to making choices "You can do anything you want, you just can't do everything you want."

Never heard that quote but I agree, completely. My buddy thinks he's blessed to be interested in so many things, I feel cursed.

And, as my son with a Masters in Business pointed out, the TW-6 isn't making any money, or reducing the work load, if I'm not using it. I countered that I stand to loose I fair amount from what I paid, but he suggested that may not be the best way to look at it.

I'm picturing a bit more noodles in my future. I've been dragging my feet, but I think it's a good choice to move on from, and to something else.

So his perspective was think only of what you have to gain?

Also, coming from a guy who hand splits, when you're staring down a gnarly elm, noodling doesn't look so bad.

Latest posts

Back