Making choices;

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a personal experience?

I'm trying to build a case for myself getting rid of this goofy car that I love so much.

LOL sure, I can help. I bought a mint modern 38' 5th wheel a few years ago for what seemed like a steal at the time; $23,000. It's been stored inside it's whole life and is still very nice. I'm not sure what my bottom dollar is, but the best BS offer I got was $14,000. So if you're in the market and have green money I don't even know what I would take if I had cash in front of me.

YMMV

How about things you don't love but loath and wouldn't dream of inflicting others with it, at any price. Call it a conscience thing but I've the biggest POS sawmill I've ever had the misfortune of buying, that will sit and gather dust until I eventually clean up and re-purpose the motor and other parts for other projects rather than someone taking a gamble and risking their lives using something I sold them.

I sold this car last year because we needed a new driveway. My wife cried when I sold it, we spent ten years building it. Glad I did it and love the driveway. The wife got a new oven and some cash in the bank so all is good.011.JPG al's phone 003.jpg

I tried to sell my sports car for 4 months this winter.

No babies on the way, no foreclosure.

Decided to keep it when i couldnt get what it's worth and reevaluate this spring. It's extremely useless and I'd rather have the money invested in a truck, tools, business.

Toys are nice but I can always get another. I HATE taking losses on stuff, when I don't overpay to begin with.

What is it? Where are you located? :D

No more hits on the TW-6.
I wish I knew how to make it more visible on-line.
I google CraigsList used Timberwolf log splitters and find a few but not mine.
Timberwolf TW-6 wood splitter, etc.
Changed it from a tool listing to farm & garden listing.
It is listed in CraigsList-Holland, MI
Any suggestions?

I good friend of mine said some years ago, with respect to making choices "You can do anything you want, you just can't do everything you want." I'm guessing for most of us that is probably pretty close to true, in which case we make big and little choices every day.

Yesterdays choice, was to post the TW-6 for sale. It was a rather big choice for me, as my wood source to keep it busy did not work out. It gets occasional use, but the SSHD is my splitter of choice for the smaller logs I now routinely get. When I get six to ten larger logs set aside I love to get the TW-6 out, use the log lift, and make quick work of splitting them up. However, in two years there is less than seventy hours run time, and probably 50% or less, if even that much, that is actual splitting time as I use by myself.

I hate to see it go, as it is a big beautiful machine to use. I chose a name brand machine, then picking it over the TW-5 for the long haul, with its bigger, key start, twin Honda, huge hydraulic tank, large separate fuel tank, truly impressive 5" x 24" x 3 1/2" cylinder, dump valve, and respectable speed. Modifying the four-way wedge only a few weeks after getting the splitter was an indescribable improvement for resplitting and single handed use.

The trade off is, selling the TW-6 will let me shift my attention to a larger delivery truck much sooner rather than much later. Delivery up till now has been with a flatbed, which has been a great deal of time and effort hand unloading. And, as my son with a Masters in Business pointed out, the TW-6 isn't making any money, or reducing the work load, if I'm not using it. I countered that I stand to loose I fair amount from what I paid, but he suggested that may not be the best way to look at it.

I'm picturing a bit more noodles in my future. I've been dragging my feet, but I think it's a good choice to move on from, and to something else.

What similar choices have you made?
What's up neighbor.
My kids watch so many things go thru here I had tom teach them they must make a choice. I gave them each a quad and when they say they want something else(a dirt bike, snowblower, tractor) I ask if they are ready to sell their quad and talk thru the options with them, they normally walk away because they are unwilling to give up what they have, your friend is on to something :).

If you want to sell it I think your ads can be made better. More search optimization as well as more exposure to a broader market.
I you want help with this PM me and I can help with this.
I will however say your price is good in comparison to the others out there in a 500 mile radius.

I imagine you would hate to see it go as they are impressive machines. The reality of things is just as your son points out it's not making you money. Sentimentality about things doesn't make money when it's on this side of the ledger sheet, only on the other ;). I here from guys all the time, "but this was my first..." who cares is it still the best thing for the job at hand. We need to make decisions based on what we know today not yesterday. Specs can positively effect the bottom line or negatively effect it and although they can impress us it's a business decision. What is the equipment doing today, and what is the foreseeable profitability in the near future. If you want to keep it sell it to yourself at whatever loss you have to take and then leave it sit in that sweet little woodshed to look at as they do look sweet.

To me the TW-6 is much like a large saw. For most it's not worth it to keep, to you I think you need to look at other ways avoid selling it. I have a tendency to just start a new business to get equipment/keep equipment. When I ran the numbers and it didn't pay to mow my own lawn with a zero turn I still wanted one so I started a lawn service and did a few lawns and fall cleanups to pay for it. I do the same with splitters, I buy one when I need to split and sell it when I'm done, always keeping resale in the back of my mind when purchasing. This year I did 40 plus cords with 4 splitters and made good money on all of them. They were all the cheap 22 ton husky splitters that everyone knows can split wood lol.
I think you could rent yours out 50-75 times and get all the money your asking for it, you could also offer splitting services, that is as long as these things don't negatively effect your current business model. I find I can make as much processing wood for people as I can selling wood and I don't need a truck to haul the wood only my trailer, quad, splitter. You have lot's of options to work thru if you would like to keep it. You have already done the hard part shelling out the cash for the initial purchase, now it would be nice to find a way to keep it.
Just as with a big saw I don't worry about not having one because if a job comes up where I need one I can buy one for a fair price used and if I couldn't I'd work a portion of the purchase price into the job and buy a new one. Knowing what you know now you can buy another one used down the rd and be right back were you are now, or you can sell this one as it's listed and buy another for cheaper used. You could do that once a yr if you do it right and have a new one paid for in 5-10 years, this is what I do with about everything until I have the one I want for the right price or free.

If you need to use a saw for noodling I have one or two here you can use, just bring the splitter by when you them it up :).
Thanks for sharing your current struggles with us. It's easy to get to a place where we believe we are the only ones going through it.
My big example for last year was an aluminum trailer I bought of an auction site(you know the one) and paid way to much(3600 out the door) as I thought it was brand new with shipping damage. That wasn't the case and I ended up spending another 350 on also just spent another 425 on a set of wheels and tires.
Oh well, at least it's hauled a lot of wood, many cars, splitters, my tractor to jobs, lumber and whatnot. I could have done better, but it's still rolling and when I want to sell it or trade it I will get something back. At the end of the day It was a great decision at the time knowing what I knew, knowing what I know now I would approach it a lot differently :yes:.

Please see my signature for a couple of my sayings on these choices.

How about things you don't love but loath and wouldn't dream of inflicting others with it, at any price. Call it a conscience thing but I've the biggest POS sawmill I've ever had the misfortune of buying, that will sit and gather dust until I eventually clean up and re-purpose the motor and other parts for other projects rather than someone taking a gamble and risking their lives using something I sold them.
That's easy, be willing to take a step back(taking a loss) to take two steps forward(getting the right piece of equipment). The other thing is to be honest, there is a right buyer for anything if the price is right, besides the new buyer may have a different intended use for the item that will make it less of a piece of crap. Do not downplay it on a whole when selling the unit, just be honest that it doesn't work for you personally and point out everything you loath about it. I hate selling items like that myself, but there was a time in my life that was all I could afford and it got me thru to where I am today. I'm very thank full to be on the other side of that for the most part, but as sandhill was saying in his first post we must make decisions daily when we don't have the cash to afford it all.
The other option is to donate it or place an ad come take this piece of crap out of my sight and don't bring it back LOL.

KiwiBro:
Just tell them it is a piece of junk and priced accordingly.
I sold a beautiful 1995 Buick Park Avenue I bought from my siblings when mom died. Great having a third car with high school age kids. Drove it two years. Put new tires on it and an alignment at a Belle Tire shop. Handed me the bill, no alignment.
Said the sub-frame was rusted bad, and cracked. Took it to Buick. They said don't drive it. Well crap...
Neighbor and I crawled under it. He bought it for $600. welded it up (three different times), and drove it for another two and a half years.
I didn't want to take that kind of risk.

I hear you guys. Not long ago a well known guy in the portable sawmill manufacturing business was killed when his mill grenaded. That's a guy with more experience than all of us. I'm not ever comfortable selling anything unless it's rock solid or the faults are not life threatening. Even if the buyer is aware of every fault, signs in triplicate, etc so my ass is covered, if anyone got hurt I would never forgive myself. There are a few projects I will turn that sawmill into eventually.

I hear you guys. Not long ago a well known guy in the portable sawmill manufacturing business was killed when his mill grenaded. That's a guy with more experience than all of us. I'm not ever comfortable selling anything unless it's rock solid or the faults are not life threatening. Even if the buyer is aware of every fault, signs in triplicate, etc so my ass is covered, if anything anyone got hurt I would never forgive myself. There are a few projects I will turn that sawmill into eventually.
I understand fully and would recommend staying home lol.

Any suggestions?
Did you put it the classifieds on sites like this and the other AS clones across the net?

As a specialty item there won't be many folks in your local market looking for that unit or understand how a used wood splitter could possibly be selling for more than a new box store unit.

Plus it's winter and tax returns haven't arrived yet so folks aren't feeling flush.

Any suggestions?

You've got to wait till the google spiders crawl over the address before it gets a hit. You can speed this along using keywords in the listing.

I will say, though, a specialized piece of equipment like your TW and the asking price isn't going to draw to many CL hits. Not relevant ones anyway. Most people using CL are looking for deals and not many have $9000 cash handy. Add on top of that it's a specialized piece of equipment and you've got a trifecta.

Sent from a field

What is it? Where are you located? :D

I call it a sports car only so people can relate, although technically it is.

Seeing your username I'm sure you'll be familiar with them. Its a 240sx that looks as God intended. And almost impossible to drive because of it. :D

Any suggestions?
Did you see my post above. PM me.
Did you put it the classifieds on sites like this and the other AS clones across the net?

As a specialty item there won't be many folks in your local market looking for that unit or understand how a used wood splitter could possibly be selling for more than a new box store unit.

Plus it's winter and tax returns haven't arrived yet so folks aren't feeling flush.
That's one of the keys to selling. The phrase I use is "you bring the market to the product, or the product to the market". If you don't understand the difference and how to do this you will loose many opportunities for sales.
You've got to wait till the google spiders crawl over the address before it gets a hit. You can speed this along using keywords in the listing.

I will say, though, a specialized piece of equipment like your TW and the asking price isn't going to draw to many CL hits. Not relevant ones anyway. Most people using CL are looking for deals and not many have $9000 cash handy. Add on top of that it's a specialized piece of equipment and you've got a trifecta.

Sent from a field
Keyword or tags are part of search optimization and can make or break and ad.
Knowing how a search engine works is also very important.
If you want to get hit's the very way to do it is to optimize the ad which eliminates.
I would have to say that it only takes one person who has 9k cash handy. I think you may be surprised at how many have that kind of cash either sitting in the bank ready to withdraw for the right deal, or even right in their pockets. Try listing a nice Kubota 4x4 tractor on CL for 10k and see how many come running :). The buyer for this would probably be quite informed as to the cost per the internet
Being that it's a specialized piece of equipment is both good and bad. Most people shopping will have to look outside their local area if they want one. The bad thing about that is if you don't know how to reach their market. The great thing about that is once they are at you house and have devote the time to getting there most times they will purchase whatever the item is for the price asked if they are not a reseller.

Latest posts

Back