making pt laminate to sawmill wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter9150

Reaction score
Hello I'm new atposting to this site but have been reading for a while:Hello to all. I;ve recently purchased a simplicity bandsaw mill--trailer package comes standard a 18hp vanguard b&s engine---can cut 21.5 lengthwise and 28 dia.
Have a jd 310c backhoe and a smaller 31 hp new holland. Have 20 ac in the adirondacks and a120 in virginia--both very rural but with good trees. code for a pole barn is green in ground for frost line of about 5 ft. I'm thinking of using 4 2 x 8 -8 per post staggered for splicing into wood that i would saw myself to make a single post for a 20 x 30 building 4 posts runiing the length(10ft centers) 3 across (10) ft centers.total height of outside beams would be 15 ft(10 above grade and 22 ft(17 above grade) for center posts .i think to laminate them of using screws that are either ss or at least coated for the splices of just pt as well as splices where pt meets my cut pieces--any suggestions on other things to consider--this is not going to be used except for housing the tractors during the bleak winter months--hence pitch of roof(which will be sheet metal--I'm thinking of buying 52 2x 8-8 sawing them for offset lengths thinking 1 at 6,2 at 7 ,1at8 any need for glue any recommendations for screws-after the post issue is settled am thinking of using 2 x 10(or larger?) to connect post along outside and inside. should posts in holes be orinted with parralel boards facing towards outside(same as center) or parralel along outside wall?I currently ownh lots of 5" coated screws and even more green coated (deck?) screws of different lengths--the longest only about 3 1/2 " Thanks, Peter

ps Bought the adirondack property 3 years ago, bought a multitude a various chain saws an alaskan mill then the tractors now the sawmill--love opening a log to see the grain--it does it for me--wish i had known 20 years ago what i was missing--live in ct but have a business that allows for a lot of time to play at working and work at playing (wood) am even thinking of trying to see if i can migrate to wood as a business and never retire...am 58 b
:cheers:and it feels like i'm getting a second chance to figure out who I am....

Interesting project

But first things first. WELCOME to AS. In my opinion the best wood site on the web. Your pole building sounds a lot like the one we have at are hunting land. They used 3 2X6 nailed together with no glue for the outside posts. I do no that they used green treat in the hole and some type of other treatment above ground. I don't no what building code requires, But I would look in to it You might be able to save some $ buy going to 2X6 instead of 2X8. Just A thought.Good luck with your project and take lots of pictures. We like pictures:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

Welcome to the forum. Forgive me, but I am short on time so I may have missed some things in your post (long days, short weeks), but just a note about SS screws, I don't like using them as they are more prone to breaking than the typical coated deck screw. As for putting wood in the ground, I do not like the green copper II sulphate for in ground applications, I feel its just not enough of a barrier if you live in areas that are prone to rot, at least for places like British Columbia where I live. I use carbolineum, which is a better choice for in ground applications.

Latest posts

Back