Need A Little Help On Building A Firewood Shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the correct forum but I'll throw it out there. I'm planning on building a 10' x 20' wood storage shed. I'll attach some photos which show the general direction I'm going in. Obviously, I'm open to any other suggestions or helpful photos. My question is about the foundation or base. I have a local sawmill about 5 miles away where I plan to buy rough cut hemlock for least some of the project. Digging holes for footers will be a PITA, as I'm sitting on shale. I was thinking about those deck blocks and 4" x 4" PT posts, but it may look a little wimpy. The 6" x 6" PT posts would be nice but pricey. I would just go with rough cut 6 x 6's but if I am correct, the deck blocks are designed for dimensional lumber (a 4 x 4 and actually a 3.5 x 3.5). I was planning on using rough cut 1 x 6's for the floor. I'd like to get my firewood up off the ground.

Any suggestions/photos would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• a8eae4d21c7649f3b8cd8f411ba92bf8.jpg
    a8eae4d21c7649f3b8cd8f411ba92bf8.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 185
  • A-simple-large-firewood-open-shed.jpg
    A-simple-large-firewood-open-shed.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 174
Pallets are cheaper to stack on. I put my posts in the ground to keep my woodshed on the ground, wind is a mother and you don't want a sail that weighs that much blowing around. Yes the wind will pick that up!

Those examples definitely look nice. Agreed pallets can be had for free. The floor of my shed is a mix of leftover paneling and OSB...with only keeping wood in it for a single season it works fine...never had the bottom row rot.

I'm building a wood shed too. Probably be about 16' long by 4 foot deep by seven or eight feet high.
I have 2x6 for the floor and roof framing that I got from a few old pressure-treated decks that I hauled away from people's backyard renovations.
I figured it was an easy way to get some wood shed lumber that will last. I just need to pull nails out (that's a bit of a pain).
The vertical columns will probably be store-bought 4x4 and the roof beams are 2x8 PT from same type of scrounging.
The walls will be staggered scrounged, PT fence boards and have air gaps on each side.
I'll be putting the floor up on deck blocks to keep it off the ground.
Not sure what I want to do for roofing materiel yet.
Will post pics when I get started.

I use pallets and built this...

20150606_110918_zpsqylbqkld.jpg

20150606_110853_zpsndm2xjui.jpg

I wanted to build a lean-to from PT lumber with a steel roof. But the price got out of control. My stack measures 36' x 8' x roughly 5' tall. Now I have more room to go up. All in all I did not save much by using EMT, but some of my costs included the bender to bend the conduit. So now I have a tool.

6'x12' holds 3 cords. im going to make a matching one beside it this summer if i get time. The foundation is packed down gravel/screening with a patio stone under each post. It has settled a little bit since it has been filled but not as much as i was thinking so ill do the same thing for the next shed.
20141229_160206.jpg

LOL... It's rough-cut hemlock from a local sawmill. Some was freshly cut, some had been laying around a while. I used pressure-treated 2 x 4's (salvaged from wood racks) and PT plywood for the floor.
Think I should close in the ends?

I would not close up the ends or back.
It needs to breath so fresh cut firewood will dry.

Good Job. I need one just like it.

David

I'm sorry---I wasn't clear on my question. I meant the roof edges, like on the front at the rafters/eaves/rakes. Should I add a fascia board?

Looks really nice!

Before you fill it, you might want to add some boards on the inside of the studs, to keep shifting firewood from pushing out against your siding.

I would add the fascia board to help protect the ends of your rafters.

Philbert

Looks really good. And should be able to get lots of wood in there!
In an earlier post i mentioned id build a second shed this year and i finally got around to it last weekend.
20150823_182242.jpg

Basic same construction just a little deeper. This one being 8'x12'

here's a few pics that might help get some ideas goin' for some folks......

Husky Joe - you're in a tough spot if you're not able to get some posts into the ground for stability; we get some strong winds here so I rented a post hole digger and sunk the cedar posts in. Any wood in contact with earth will eventually rot so I tarred up the posts and wrapped in aluminum and then poured concrete around them (yes, my friends call me Mr. overkill). A neighbor was giving away a bunch of treated railroad ties so I snatched them up, sliced them lengthwise with an old bar and chain on the 51 to double the footage and laid them on the ground to support the firewood.....those treated ties will definitely outlast me. This shed is 6x30' and holds 8+ cords. I bartered the steel panels from a friend for a pickup load of camp firewood and had enough to do the roof and back wall; added quad fold doors on the front (wind driven rain and snow would otherwise soak the firewood); still need to add panels to both ends.

Looks really nice!

Before you fill it, you might want to add some boards on the inside of the studs, to keep shifting firewood from pushing out against your siding.

I would add the fascia board to help protect the ends of your rafters.

Philbert

I'd go as far as to say put all the boards on the inside of the studs to stop falling or thrown wood from knocking the boards loose.If they are left on the outside of the studs I'd lag screw them on.

Looks really nice Husky Joe. The wood sheds I build, I like to add a center partition so that I can empty one side completely and begin to refill as I remove wood to burn from the other side. This allows me to get my wood under cover as soon as it's split and not mix up seasoned and un-seasoned wood. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back