Making smoker chips/chunks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddogrunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone on here make their own smoker chips or chunks? I know most of us are not likely to let any BTU go to waste, but I was looking at a hickory branch and looking at my smoker and I decided I would try and make my own. Cut the 6" branch into 1" slices. I plan to remove the bark and then chunk it into smaller pieces and let it dry in a milk crate or something like it for a few months. Anybody on here have any experience with this? Surely some of you smart buggers have figured this one out.

I got an LP smoker this summer but it was late in the summer. It was on sale and a good price, but it had a couple shortcomings. Started out with some chips I had left over from using a box in the BBQ. The smoker chip tray wasn't designed right, it turned the chips to ash pretty quick - chips were pretty well exposed to open flame. So I got a small shallow round cast frying pan (more like a crepe pan I think), unscrewed the handle from it, set it on top of the chip tray, and cut some 1" thick slices off a sugar maple split from the basement wood pile with the recip saw. That works awesome - the heck with ever using chips again. The second mod was getting a bigger water pan/drip tray for it - easy to find in the bakeware section. And I got a wireless thermometer setup - the dial on the front was goofed. Also learned that there is a spot in the LP burner valve dial between full blast & closed that you can get the valve set to to adjust the flame exactly as low as you want - at first, it was too hot even turned down to what would normally be full low.

I have since set aside a few more smaller maple splits I came across in the wood pile, and some apple splits. That should keep me in smoker smoke for a long time. And my wife just informed me a couple days ago that a local beef person she was talking to a month ago has a brisket set aside with our name on it. Yeehaw.

I bought a Masterbuilt out of a Cabelas bargain cave. It's electric and it's maiden voyage was a brisket. Oh gawd was it yummy. Still working on the burnt ends for lunch :) I have a bag of chips and they seem to do OK in the little box they make. As I work through my scrounge piles I am going to pull out some hickory, oak and maple and then go cut on a wild apple tree to try that. I did a search on the forum and found some posts. I am on the right path it appears.

I haven't done a brisket yet - but really looking forward to it.

Chunks are definitely where it's at. I can put 2 or 3 or 4 of them in when I start and they last for the whole smoke - unlike the chips which were only lasting a half hour or so.

Right or wrong, I use chips on the grill (think burgers or chops) and chunks on the smoker when low and slow is what is needed.

I've done cherry. Slabbed off rounds a couple inches thick and used an ax and chipped off thin chunks or whatever size. Soak 'em in water 'bout a day till I use 'em. Takes a little prep time but worth it.

I just cut up my fuji apple tree trims with the jawsaw, made them all around 3 inch long. Put them in light duty bundle/onion bags and hung them up in the shed. I know it has bark on it though, so maybe that's no good, but I wasn't going to waste it just for regular firewood. When I have done hickory chunks I started with heartwood splits, full size 16", then used the chopsaw to make them fist sized. In the propane grill, we just use small chips/chunks leftover when I am splitting, put them in those little steel boxes. Most of my cooking wood though goes out full size, those pro or semi pro guys use big smokers.

When I want chips for grill smoking, I take a piece of what even kind of wood I want to use, into my shop, set my jointer for a deep cut and run the wood over the jointer, making all the chips I want...

Chunks are even easier...just cut them!

SR

I make sure there is no residual bar oil on the smoker wood I make. Trim the ends with a circular saw and chunk it up.

Last year I made all of my own smoker wood and even sold several dozen or so sacks of it for $3 a sack. Green red oak works very well. I cut split logs in half first and then hand split each half into fourths. I can usually get 16 lb of chunks into one shopping sack that I double up for strength. Twist tie the top and add a price tag showing the weight, wood species, and the price. I dubbed mine BBQ Cookin' Wood.

It's a very seasonal product around here, but in the spring they sell like hot cakes when the meat smokers start right back up after winter says good bye.

I've processed my own apple, cherry, and hickory chunks for my WSM. I don't worry about bar oil, bark, moisture, or anything and it's some of the finest chicken, brisket, pork, prime rib, etc I've ever tasted.

I've done cherry. Slabbed off rounds a couple inches thick and used an ax and chipped off thin chunks or whatever size. Soak 'em in water 'bout a day till I use 'em. Takes a little prep time but worth it.

I do it this way exclusively & also use chunks on grill as well as smoker.

I tried all types of wood & LOVE hickory & cherry best all around w/ oak for beef. Would also go for the fruit or pecan but not readily available to me and I refuse to buy any more bagged given the my unlimited access to the above. Give to friend and relatives as well.

I get a lot of tree service wood...so naturally none of it is cut to firewood length. I have a lot of cut offs and oddball pieces. Naturally, this has lead to an increased use of the smoker. Can't let those btu's go to waste. I need something bigger than a milk crate...seems like I have them spread out everywhere full of drying chunks. An IBC cage might be a little overkill

I use mostly apple wood from my orchard. Adds wonderful flavor to the smoked meat. In the spring I'm going to pick up a Kamoto Joe ceramic grill. My next adventure will be making lump charcoal. I have a pile of Hickory reserved for that effort.

for my smoker I take a chunk of hickory , wrap it in a dbl layer of foil , poke a hole in the foil and lay it on the coals .nice steady smoke and no flair up . when it stops smoking I unwrap a nice chunk of charcoal .

I use oak ,apple ,cherry, maple i use small spits 16 to 18 inch only use charcoal to get the coal bed established . ash gives a nice light flavor ,this was Sundays smoke with black cherry. Ribs,chicken thighs and rump roast

Attachments

• 20160131_155037.jpg
    20160131_155037.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20160131_163025.jpg
    20160131_163025.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 17
Hickory chunks of about 1" cubed worked great in my smoker. The smoker tray is about 4' x 8# and about 2.5" tall. So, I cubed a bunch of small cookies up and gave them a good soak in some water and on a 3 hour smoke the flavor was pretty damned good.

Back