Making splitting easier

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarleyScooter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just bought my first splitter and right away I found the need for some improvements I thought I would share. First I built some bolt on tables for the splitter. Second I found the large wood hard to get on the 1-1/2" thick base of the splitter when used vertically and some of the logs would not rest on the base enought to split, so I added about 2" in lenght and made a slight ramp to help get the wood on the base. here are some pictures.
Scott

I still needed a way to move big wood onto the splitter when vertical, so I made a set of forks that fit into the hitch on the back of my tractor. The piece of cherry in the picture was 18" thick and an oval of 43" X 36". It works really good as long as I can keep the front tractor tires on the ground to steer.
Scott

Take them big diameters pieces and quarter em

with a chainsaw.. Heck with lifting them big ones.Does not take but a few sconds to rip them down. do it as you buck em off the log while they are still on edge.
Nice mods to the splitter.

Hey nice work Harley...its all about making our lives easier! Thats a big ole piece of cherry...did you cut it down as well?

Your lawn is impressive...:bowdown:

Nice mods. Is that paint powder-coated? Some guy on flea bay is selling extension tables for log splitters for $58. I bought one; best money I ever spent.

Hey nice work Harley...its all about making our lives easier! Thats a big ole piece of cherry...did you cut it down as well?

Your lawn is impressive...:bowdown:

No I didn't get to cut it down, most of the wood was taken by the owners brother but when it got to the big stuff he didn't want to move it, it is only four house's away so I have been making a few trips a day to bring the wood home to split so I don't make a mess in the neighbors yard.
Scott

Nice mods. Is that paint powder-coated? Some guy on flea bay is selling extension tables for log splitters for $58. I bought one; best money I ever spent.

Thanks, they are only painted which is not lasting to long. $58 is not bad considering the cost of steel now. I do like the tables, before I had drop half of everything I split because there was no where to put it but the ground. My friend has almost the same splitter I did the same mods to it today.
Scott

Excellent workmanship!

I wish I could fabricate as nicely as you have done here! :clap:

I am with the quarter the logs. Since I am not a fan of vertical splitters (kills my back) I make everything small enough to lift up. To each his own.

I love the work tables! My splitter has a "fan tail" that serves the same basic purpose.

-Pat

Reply to Patrick62

Patrick,

You have nothing to be ashamed on fabrication. Your machine looks great.

I usually break up large pieces before putting them on the splitter as you do but Harley has a good solution also (and really clean fab).

I was thinking of buying one of those tables because I could not justify making one for the price even though I have all the equipment to do it.

Anyone have a link to the table on eBay?
I looked but could not find.
The guy selling the extension tables for log splitters on Flea Bay has the handle: "33Flame". He is out of Montana and sends the item super quick.
Good Luck

Thanks for the link!
I'll keep that in mind when I start using my new splitter (it goes horiz and vert).
A tri-axle load of trees is being delivered at lunch today, so it won't be long! :)

Thank you.

I just bought my first splitter and right away I found the need for some improvements I thought I would share. First I built some bolt on tables for the splitter. Second I found the large wood hard to get on the 1-1/2" thick base of the splitter when used vertically and some of the logs would not rest on the base enough to split, so I added about 2" in length and made a slight ramp to help get the wood on the base. here are some pictures.
Scott

Thanks for the pics and excellent extension on the base. I agree with kevinj; you get an A+ for your work!:clap:

And you modded your friends splitter as well. I am sure you are now going to have more friends after seeing those pics:greenchainsaw:

Do you think that these will fit my 34 ton Swisher and here is the link Log Splitter Table"

Don't see why not. I originally had mine on a Huskee 27ton; blew the piston seal, then bought a 35 ton Huskee and put it on that. Like I said, best $ I ever spent for that table. You can always email 33Flame with the ?. He's pretty straightup and he will answer. All you need is an I beam, the bracket for the table rests on the lower inside lip.

Latest posts

Back