Makita 6401 Big Bore Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry and Wanda

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
I posted a question the other day about which chainsaw to buy. A Stihl 441 or a Husqvarna XP576 and some of the responses suggested that I just put a big bore kit on my Makita 6401. The kit is $129 and I found a guy at a small engine shop today that said he would do it for $100. So if I buy a 24" bar and chain, I should be under $300. I think not bad for a saw that will be 84.5 cc. Has anybody here(I'm sure you have) done this to their 6401 and how has it worked for you. All info will be helpful in deciding which route to take...a new saw or a big bore kit !!!! Thanks

Henry and Wanda

Funny you should ask. I queried a few local saw shops on their hourly labor rates. Evidently, at least in these parts, the going rate is about $65/hr. I'm gonna guess a shop will charge a minimum of 1 hour for a topend swap, so I guess that'd be a reasonable estimate.

if you are having a shop install the parts, that sounds correct. one hour labor, tune saw, tax for the state.
shops also have to deal with overhead and profit, not like some people on here that work in their basement or garage, and can make comments about how much shops charge.

oh and shops have to deal with how dirty the saw is when they come in.

Last edited:
it is an easy job. i can do one in about 45min. a beginner with a little skill can do it in twice that time. it really is a simple job. if you are the type of person that changes their own oil and checks the air in their tires, then you are capable of doing this swap. there are many people here that will walk you through the process. the only special tool you need is a t27 t-handle. a set of ring compressors makes the job easier, but for one job you can improvise with a zip tie.

if you are having a shop install the parts, that sounds correct. one hour labor, tune saw, tax for the state.
shops also have to deal with overhead and profit, not like some people on here that work in their basement or garage, and can make comments about how much shops charge.

oh and shops have to deal with how dirty the saw is when they come in.

I agree. Just because people here have done it, or know how to do it, doesn't mean it's an unreasonable price.

Bailey's has deal, inside the front cover of the newest catalog, stating they will install a top end for $39.99 and give you 10% off on parts. I don't know if that offer covers the big bore kits, but worth checking into it. After shipping you could still end up around $100 but Bailey's is were you will probably end up getting the big bore kit from anyway.

EDIT:
My local Stihl dealer is $75 a hour, minimum of 1/4 hour charge.
Local Husqvarna dealer is about the same, but he will barter with ya a little bit.

Last edited:
Huskydude,
Most people are not saying the price is to high, just saying a person can do it themselves (if they want).
Sorry, I mis-read your post :(

Enjoy the big bore.

I think $100 is way to much.

If you dont feel capable of doing it I would call around, it doesnt even need to be a saw shop, any small engine shop. Or do some talking, every town has "that guy" who does small engine work out of his garage.

You should be able to keep that price under $50 to have someone do it.

it's 10% off OEM parts.

Yep, read that part of the ad also... I also stated "I don't know if that offer covers the big bore kits, but worth checking into it." Those who never ask do not get the deals. Not trying to be a jerk. I am just thinking if you buy the BB kit, and have them install it, they may cut you a deal.

with the resources available on this board your more than capable of doing it your self. Just don't rush and be meticulous and its not a big deal. If you get stuck, ask questions. You can do it.

Bullittman

It really is easy mate. I'm no spanner guru but have done a few now. The Dolmar/Makita BB swapover is easy. I did one myself the other day in about an hour and that was taking it easy and looking for misplaced tools. 15 minutes of this was cleaning off the old gasket sealant and dirt too!
Have a go, it's tough to wreck anything and if you do post photos, we'll all help you sort it out :cheers:

If Matt can do it, anyone can do it!

Yeah, sadly Al is correct (this cyberbullying and sarcasm has to stop Al ;) ) The first time I was a bit hesitant but it really is easier then you think.

Al, you know I had a Mini and have fully rebuilt about 4 mini motors don't you? If you can easily remove a mini motor without 5 knuckles per finger and 4 elbows per arm you're doing well!

Latest posts

Back