makita 6401 is a good saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Assassin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i do love this thing

01282012032.jpg

01282012031.jpg

I got 3 of em!

all Home Depot rental units. one is a parts saw one is modded 85cc Baileys kit and one stocker that my employee runs all day every day. VERY pleased and they really hold up. But the modded bad boy is simply awesone!

not bad on their own, they're highly underated. The venerable ms361 needs extensive mods to keep up.

Ive run one quite a bit wearing a 24" B/C,,, amazing torque for a 65cc class saw....especially with a good MM..... if you didnt tell someone and let them use it they would swear it was a bigger saw

Last edited:
my wife bought me one off flea bay,
it has always had a 28" bar on it..
now i'm on the hunt for one to put the 84cc jug, port it, delete the base gasket and more it just make it a bad a## SOB

Ive run one quite a bit wearing a 24" B/C,,, amazing torque for a 65cc class saw....especially with a good MM..... if you didnt tell someone and let them use it they would swear it was a bigger saw

Spot on! As I understand it, torque is largely a product of stroke. The stroke on the 6400 is the same as a 7900 so it stands to reason it feels like a much bigger saw, particulary in larger, harder, nastier wood.

Latest posts

Back