Makita 6401 no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbmatt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a Makita 6401, ex Home Depot saw, that I have owned for 2 years. Every time I needed it, it would start right up. I have always kept stabilizer in the fuel and never had a problem. ...until I finally get the call I have been waiting for. A 60 foot oak tree (24" dbh) is down (hurricane) in my sisters yard and they want me to come and cut it up and keep all the wood for firewood. Woo Hoo!!! I can not wait. Saturday comes and I go over there and pull out the Makita. Nothing. Not a burble, not a sputter. I end up having to cut only the top with my little Echo. I figure out that the Makita has no spark. The spark plug is good, I tested it in the other saw.

I guess the question is; is there a known issue with these saws? If not what are my next steps? How do I know it is not something stupid (by the way I did have the kill switch in the on position) before I go and try to pull out the coil and wire?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

I guess the question is; is there a known issue with these saws? If not what are my next steps? How do I know it is not something stupid (by the way I did have the kill switch in the on position) before I go and try to pull out the coil and wire?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dave

You should be able to check the coil primary resistance without removing it, but can't say for sure about that particular model saw. The primary resistance should be low, less than an ohm, but if you can find a service manual it should tell you an exact number. I just had the same problem with my 357xp, I guess the coils just occasionally fail. If the Makita is laid out anything like the Husky it only takes a minute to remove the old coil.

this is not rocket science, always try the basics switch, spark plug cable, and coil......
i have had coils go bad just sitting. it happens.

Thanks for the quick replies, I finally got out to check the saw last night and was going to start with the kill switch. I figured, "aww what the heck, I'll give it one more try" and I gave it a pull and it turned over. Another pull and it was idling, rough, but idling. Then it stalled. Another pull holding the throttle and it came to life. So I had to cut something. Anyway, I have no idea what was wrong last week. I tried to start it 15 times throughout the day and never had any signs of life. So, long story short (I know; to late), do you think it could still be a problem in the coil? ...where it would work sometimes and not others? If it starts up tomorrow, this weekend there will be some good cutting!

Latest posts

Back