Makita 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 6400, 7300 and 7900. It's sure nice to have the bigger saws, but for the regular wood cutter, the 6400 with a 20 or 24" is awesome and $300 cheaper. My 6400 have seen a 28" skip set up many times and just eat up the oak.

I just got the rest of the parts to re-install the chainbrake on mine but it seems like there is a spring missing - the handle has a lot of back and forth play with the brake disengaged. Is that normal?

I bought mine used with no history on it but so new it wasn't dirty anywhere. Can't say that anymore but about the chainbrake on my Makita 6401, it moves freely so far I assumed the brake was broken until I pushed further and it worked. The brake is supposed to work when you bump it or from inertia. I don't know but I suspect that it has to get moving like that to have much inertia to work the brake.

Hu

I have a 6400, 7300 and 7900. It's sure nice to have the bigger saws, but for the regular wood cutter, the 6400 with a 20 or 24" is awesome and $300 cheaper. My 6400 have seen a 28" skip set up many times and just eat up the oak.

That is kinda the deal here. I plan to change out the P&C on this 6401, pretty much bought it with that in mind. It is hard to get into a big rush doing that the way it runs as a 64cc saw though! Gotta admit it could use a diet if I insist on using it as a trim saw. Needed to test my first try filing with the Granberg yesterday evening and the only thing needing doing was getting down about a thirty feet long oak limb hanging in the tree and a little fencerow trimming. Did fine but I like it a wee bit better in bigger stuff!

Hu

Got the BB kit today and installed in about an hour. Very easy change and easy saw to work on. I ran some vids of before and after cuts compared to my MS361. Afterwards did a muffler mod by opening the original hole about double and will make some cuts tomorrow. Will post the vids. I'm pretty impressed. It's running right at 13,500.

Post a video of the nwp kit when you get a chance. My kit is from watsonr and very happy with the performance. I also have a 20" 7 tooth set up. It is almost unstoppable!

Here's the video. I started with my stock MS361 for reference. The dark area of the log is still wet - you can hear the saws slow down when they hit it.
For cutting times I used the start and stop times of the actual cuts, then divided by three. The MS361 was 8.57 seconds. The stock 6401 was 7.93 seconds. With the BBK, 7.22 seconds. The last segment with the muffler mod was in a second slightly larger log - ran out of length on the first one - so there is no apparent gain. I'll try to set up the original log and get new times with the MM or cut the new log with the 361 for comparison.

Here is a photo of my muffler mod. I didn't have the heart to cut a new whole so I hogged out the original hole - now about twice the size. It does sound better and the original screen still fits.

muffler mod.jpg

Looks good. How is the throttle response? It was hard to tell in the video. We need to get a single thread together of the different kits on the market for the 6400-7900 series for a good information database.

I actually was very unhappy with the setup. I never figured out how, but a lot of saw dust and smaller chips found their way into the filter area and would pack in, in between the outer wrap or sleeve and the cartridge filter.
Much much happier with this new mesh filter. Way easier to clean and I know by my carb settings that it breaths way better.
We talked about this a while back. It was a common thing for those of us regularly running the HDAF's to leave the felt pre-filter off. Honestly how much finer particulate are you going to catch in felt vs pleated AF. Also it's easy to pop the pleated AF off and tap it on a stump to shake off any build up. But that was also on a older design that didn't have the top cover as sealed up.

I understand what your saying with not having to adjust the carb. Did you check with a tach? Mine changed about 450-500rpm. Not noticeable enough by ear but the tach does catch the difference. I have been thinking about making a cylindrical fine mesh filter to allow more air in too. I've had 3-4 6401/6421's in now that have had a burnt up intake side due to the OEM felt filters not being changed. The glue had let go on some of the felt on one and allowed junk to get sucked into the carb. If you read the bailey's reviews I did mention there that the adhesive used on the earlier HD and non-HD filters was pretty substandard. I have found more than 1 problem with all Dolmar filters holding onto their filtering media. I usually correct that using industrial hot melt :)

Looks good. How is the throttle response? It was hard to tell in the video. We need to get a single thread together of the different kits on the market for the 6400-7900 series for a good information database.
Honestly there is only 1 (maybe 2) companies making the 84cc BBK cylinder kits. I have ordered a multitude of these kits from various sources and all have been almost identical. When I say "almost" I mean the differences could be explained by away by differences in production runs at the same factory. The 84cc BBK is one of a few that are actually reliable to be strap on kits without examining cast quality, port timing, and pistion quality. That being said... They are reliable but probably not always optimal. For the guys that do port work they can probably be massaged for a little more power. The only problem I have ever found on these BBK's what pitting in the piston casting that is 1/2 covered up by that black pre-coating or break-in coating.

Throttle response was a little slow with the OEM and the BBK until I opened up the muffler. Still not as quick as the 361. We'll see after a few tanks of fuel.

We talked about this a while back. It was a common thing for those of us regularly running the HDAF's to leave the felt pre-filter off. Honestly how much finer particulate are you going to catch in felt vs pleated AF. Also it's easy to pop the pleated AF off and tap it on a stump to shake off any build up. But that was also on a older design that didn't have the top cover as sealed up.

I understand what your saying with not having to adjust the carb. Did you check with a tach? Mine changed about 450-500rpm. Not noticeable enough by ear but the tach does catch the difference. I have been thinking about making a cylindrical fine mesh filter to allow more air in too. I've had 3-4 6401/6421's in now that have had a burnt up intake side due to the OEM felt filters not being changed. The glue had let go on some of the felt on one and allowed junk to get sucked into the carb. If you read the bailey's reviews I did mention there that the adhesive used on the earlier HD and non-HD filters was pretty substandard. I have found more than 1 problem with all Dolmar filters holding onto their filtering media. I usually correct that using industrial hot melt :)

Honestly there is only 1 (maybe 2) companies making the 84cc BBK cylinder kits. I have ordered a multitude of these kits from various sources and all have been almost identical. When I say "almost" I mean the differences could be explained by away by differences in production runs at the same factory. The 84cc BBK is one of a few that are actually reliable to be strap on kits without examining cast quality, port timing, and pistion quality. That being said... They are reliable but probably not always optimal. For the guys that do port work they can probably be massaged for a little more power. The only problem I have ever found on these BBK's what pitting in the piston casting that is 1/2 covered up by that black pre-coating or break-in coating.

I honestly don't recall putting the tach to it but I'm sure I would have to check it before attempting to cut with it. I do know that carb settings never changed unlike with the fine mesh filter that I am running now.

The only problem I have ever found on these BBK's what pitting in the piston casting that is 1/2 covered up by that black pre-coating or break-in coating.

That's why I stayed away from those. Usaually paint and coating on cheap parts cover up the cheap problems.

I used my 6401 with a BBK this past week. I had not started it for a year. It popped on the third choke pull and then fired at fast idle. Then it cut as if it were a brand new saw. It's still a beast after seven years. I was running a 25" bar on it, and it never even breathed hard. A logger who was with me said he was impressed, and he's running a Stihl MS661.

Latest posts

Back