Makita 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShiftyFireBush

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a chance to get a 6401 for under $200. Haven't checked it out yet, but does this saw have the ability to go up to a 79cc like the 6421 does?
Have been hunting for a deal on a 6100 or a 6421, so hoping the 6401 could fit the bill...

The 6401 is just the older version of the 6421, and is a great candidate for the 79cc upgrade.
If you get the older PS-7900/DCS7901 top end you can use the existing top covers, and the decomp. I will say, though, never a bad idea to replace the decomp when doing this.
If you get the newer top end, for the PS-7910/EA7900, you need new top cover, or cut a hole in the existing one. You’ll also need a new decomp for it.

This is the older top end that‘s a direct fit for that saw:

https://sleequipment.com/makita-genuine-part-038-130-070-cylinder-piston-cpl-dcs7901.html

I upgraded mine eight years ago and it's a dandy saw. No problems with a 32" bar as shown below:
View attachment 860732
Always starts and always runs strong. It's a keeper.
Very nice. I ended up picking it up for 160. Need to get one new AV spring for it and a new chain break guard eventually. It's definitely going to be a fun fall/winter project to tinker on.

The 6401 is just the older version of the 6421, and is a great candidate for the 79cc upgrade.
If you get the older PS-7900/DCS7901 top end you can use the existing top covers, and the decomp. I will say, though, never a bad idea to replace the decomp when doing this.
If you get the newer top end, for the PS-7910/EA7900, you need new top cover, or cut a hole in the existing one. You’ll also need a new decomp for it.

This is the older top end that‘s a direct fit for that saw:

https://sleequipment.com/makita-genuine-part-038-130-070-cylinder-piston-cpl-dcs7901.html
Thanks for the link and extra information. I'll be putting it to good use shortly. Probably going to run it stock for a bit then do the conversion sometime late fall or winter.

Latest posts

Back