Makita 6421 20" are they any good

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id take 5 at that price. It is a fantastic firewood saw. Perfectly sized, liquid smooth, tons of grunt and see if you can find a broken one somewhere....go ahead....

Oh and just because the saw looks like brads first girlfriend doesnt mean you should listen to him rag on it. Hes just bitter because she dumped him for the pimple faced red haired kid from down the block with the moped. Oh wait...that WAS brad...never mind.... :)

That should get the party started.....

When I was a kid there was often some guy with an AMC in the neighborhood, and usually they were a little "off" in various ways. Now that I'm older I am that guy, although I don't have any AMC products anymore. But I still want a '75 Matador coupe, an Eagle-based 4WD or a Pacer.

A 1974 Matador coupe was the first car I actually "owned". It looked a lot like a Camero and you could put your whole tool box worth of tools in the big trays inside the fenders. Weird design but it was reliable.

Too large and heavy for the original top end, but an excellent candidate for a much larger one. :msp_wink:

Niko,

See item #2 and #3 in my above post!:cheers:

I will have to say that, if nothing else, you are consistent.
But a 6400 will still spank the 65cc offering from "Mother Orange".
I do wish you would run one before you bash them though.
You might just find out that I'm right.....they are the best 65cc saw available, bar none!

Mike

Huh?

I didn't learn much about the saw but I learned I am not the only crazy person on here! I bought it a few hours ago tried to use it and the brand new chain came off the bar, but it runs great and I have 3 brand new chains but I made need a new bar and it seem to get awful hot for no longer than I ran it but I don't know I've only ran husqvarnas and a 488 shindaiwa

I could understand the Yugo, Pinto, Corvair, Vega, or even a MustangII... but the Pacer...... :msp_sneaky:

I'm going to pretend you didn't say corvair in the same sentence with those others. :msp_angry:

And on topic, yes that is a great saw.

Last edited:
Welcome

Welcome to AS. You got a great deal on that saw. Run the snot out of it. Don't buy into all the BS on AS and you will go far...:msp_wink:

I didn't learn much about the saw but I learned I am not the only crazy person on here! I bought it a few hours ago tried to use it and the brand new chain came off the bar, but it runs great and I have 3 brand new chains but I made need a new bar and it seem to get awful hot for no longer than I ran it but I don't know I've only ran husqvarnas and a 488 shindaiwa

It should not throw the chain. Is the pitch and gauge correct for the chains you have?

A 1974 Matador coupe was the first car I actually "owned". It looked a lot like a Camero and you could put your whole tool box worth of tools in the big trays inside the fenders. Weird design but it was reliable.

:arg: Sorry I can' let that comment go. The 1974 Matador was the ugliest car ever made. When I was a kid, every day while walking to school someone had one and left the "New car sticker" on it for a year. I laughed every day when that ugly thing drove by.

BTW, it does not look like a Camaro.:angry:

Last edited:
When I was a kid there was often some guy with an AMC in the neighborhood, and usually they were a little "off" in various ways. Now that I'm older I am that guy, although I don't have any AMC products anymore. But I still want a '75 Matador coupe, an Eagle-based 4WD or a Pacer.

The Eagle 4wd would bring many frowns. Not such a hot vehicle. I never owned one but did the maintenance on one back when I was in that business.

Niko,

You might just find out that I'm right.....they are the best 65cc saw available, bar none!

Mike

I haven't really said anything about that, and it isn't a coincidence. That doesn't keep it from being basically a 79cc saw, with a 64cc open port top end.
A 6401 actually is my brothers "go to" saw at the moment, but that one has an extensively ported 84cc top end, and suitable carb and muffler work...

The 1974 Matador was the ugliest car ever made. When I was a kid, every day while walking to school someone had one and left the "New car sticker" on it for a year. I laughed every day when that ugly thing drove by.

BTW, it does not look like a Camaro.:angry:[/QUOTE]

You sure you're not confusing the 73 matador? That was an ugly car and looked very different.

images of '74 (not a Camaro, "like" a Camaro. At least in my teenager eyes...lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
Niko,

Mike

Some people they just don't get that a 6400 is great 65cc saw and the 7300 will run with any stock 372 or 441. They think you have to have the biggest offering. Let them think what they will, the rest of us know better.

OP, sorry to take the thread down a siding with the cars, but what's wrong with the bar? did the chain come off when cutting? Most of the time I have had a chain derail was when I was cutting either saplings/brush or cutting splintered wood at the butt end of a broken tree/branch.

Understatement of the Year?

Should easily be worth that asking price. I've found that a 64-65cc saw can do a lot.
Not to mention that you can probably build a Makita up to a 91cc saw for about $100 like I did. Then you may have more power than you know what to do with. Gadzooks!

Bucking with a 32" bar in red elm:
MakitaandBigElm00.jpg

Noodle cutting with a 24" bar in red elm:
MakitaandBigElm01.jpg

All done:
MakitaandBigElm04.jpg

Heckuva saw.

Back