Makita 6421 again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well this time I got one of these, we all know where they come from.
The saw is used but apparently not abused, I pulled the plug and looked in the cyl., it looked good and the plug color was dark chocolat brown so it wasn't running lean.
It started on 4 pulls, it has a full chain on it but was dull as a rock, it is one of those really bad safety chains.
I took it home and tried to cut in my new box elder log I just cut down and it cut to the right so bad I only got in about two inchs.
So I pulled the bar and it had bad burrs on all sides, so I cleaned that up and then I took that crap chain for over to the bench grinder and got rid of all the extra humps & stuff, then I put on the grinder and sharped it and it did not come out well, it's semi chisele 3/8 but it seemed small and didn't sharpen right.
I put it back on the saw and took an 11/32 file to it and even that seemed to big so I filed with a 3/16 and that seemed to work, this was the first time this chain had been filed so it wasn't worn back.
I took it back out to the log and lots of joy, it cut straight, but that chain has got to go, also the cat in the muffler.
It's running pig rich and the high speed screw does not have a slot in it so I'll have to deal with that.
Does anyone know if a large husky mount bar will fit this saw?

John

Don't be afraid to swap grinder wheels for smaller/larger ones to find one that best suits the chain. How is the profile of the grinding stone? Has it been dressed? To the trained eye looking at the chain will tell you everything. lf not really familiar with the chain try to restore factory angles, hook( side plate), inner top plate ect. Find out what model the chain is by who it was made. I am yet to find any saftey chain that l cannot make perfectly acceptable to saw with. After getting the chain to its intended cutting profile, little changes can be made to tailor your sawing requirments. A pic of the chain could help us directly point out the main issue.

I looked at the chain, it is junk chinese chain, it is soft and already has play in the links and it is new chain, it is scrap iron.
I have lots of chain and this is the worst I have ever seen.

John

I had no idea when I started just how bad this chain was, now that I have experiance with it I proclaim it garbage as it does not fit my needs, I am going to need full chisell on a short bar on this saw, that's why I asked if a husky bar would fit as I am picking up a short husky bar tomorow, if you can help me with the bar please do but please forget about that junk chain.

John

Bought one a week ago. Just "de catted" it today. I have a post I made earlier about it.

Mine came with a new chinese chain "trilink" or something like that and the rental bar seems fairly decent, but I ordered a 24" total super pro from fordf150. The rim was complete garbage. Surprised the chain stayed on the rim. Other than that it was the cleanest, nicest rental saw I've ever seen there for sale.

Picked up a used Sandvik bar today, it came with a nearly new Total full chisel chain, it had been sharpened well by someone but I could still see a faint shine on the edge of the top plate.
I couldn't see any file or grinder marks on the teeth and they were all quite uniform so I suspect someone has a Timberline.
So I put this on the Dolkita and took the shine off the top plate with an 11/64 file and went out to the log, this chain cuts very well but this saw needs tuning bad. I will be pulling the muffler and carb soon

I picked up a 6421 fm HD. Clean saw...came w/a new 20"bar and new semi-chisel chain. I swapped the cat muffler for a non-cat, added a rim sprocket, took the carb off and cleaned out the plastic surrounding the HS adjuster, retuned and now have a very, very nice, strong 64cc saw. I'm thinking it's probably a 6400/6401 now. A few upgrades and you'll love that saw. For firewood it cuts it all. I just quartered a dozen 3 1/2 ft rounds so I could split them and it was flawless. Got a pile of "noodles" that'll make good mulch!. If it ever goes down (cyliner is pristine), I'll make it a 7900. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

I picked up a 6421 fm HD. Clean saw...came w/a new 20"bar and new semi-chisel chain. I swapped the cat muffler for a non-cat, added a rim sprocket, took the carb off and cleaned out the plastic surrounding the HS adjuster, retuned and now have a very, very nice, strong 64cc saw. I'm thinking it's probably a 6400/6401 now. A few upgrades and you'll love that saw. For firewood it cuts it all. I just quarted a dozen 3 1/2 ft rounds so I could split them and it was flawless. Got a pile of "noodles" that'll make good mulch!. If it ever goes down (cyliner is pristine), I'll make it a 7900. But I'm not going to hold my breath.
Mine doesn't have any plastic around the h s screw, just a stub in the ring next to the l s screw

John

Latest posts

Back