Makita 6421 with .325

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny3411

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Curious to know, would a clutch drum from a Dolmar ps6100 work on the 6421? If that would work then I could run .325 stihl bars that I have on the 6421. The ps6100 has a small spline clutch drum. I found .325 rim sprockets for the standard spline clutch drum, but they are 9 tooth. Im still going to try the 9 tooth on it, but if a small spline clutch drum from the 6100 would work, then I could run 7 tooth .325 sprockets. Im curious to know. I just purchased a 6421. Im going to run a 16" 3/8 bar the day I get it to try it out. Ill probably stay with 3/8, but I have some new stihl bars for a ms260 and if I can use them on it then Im gonna try it out.

It'll pull the 9 tooth with .325 no problem.
The 7 tooth will be slow, I run 8's on smaller saws with .325 and it doesn't bog them down.
I'd rather have 3/8 but if you have some .325 I'd use it up.

Im going to pick up a 9 tooth .325 sprocket, If I were to use a 16" stihl .325 bar, any idea how many drive links in the chain I would need? I might just use a 18" .325 chain and then cut it down to size for the 16" bar once I figure out drive links

No, my saws have 66 links with 16 inch Chinese bars which may not be the same length as stihl bars, new chains are pretty tight to fit with 8 tooth sprockets so they wont fit with 9's.
I'd start with a 72 link chain for the 18 and cut it down of you can. A 68 link chain might fit but it would suck if it didn't.
I don't know anything about Makita's just a bit about chains.

I done this with a 9 pin on a Husqvarna 362, 16" Oregon speed cut bar. Was a tight fit but do able. An extra link would have been better.

68 drive links is perfect fit. I got a 6421 today, a .325 9 tooth sprocket, and a cheap 68 drive link chain, which now I wish I would of just went with Oregon, wasnt sure it was going to work. I havent tried the saw out yet, but fired it up and it actually feels pretty powerful. I added in another outlet on the muffler, right on the front, lower right side. I might try and open the muffler up and remove the cat, but Im not sure if I can unbend the lip around it. Im thinking of trying to get a non cat muffler for it, not sure where I could buy one though. Id also like to get a smaller inner dawg spike for it. Not great pics, but the 68 drive chain works. Ive been trying to lighten it up any I can, it might be a bit heavy for me. Ive thought about the ps6100, maybe I should of got instead. Both the 6421 and 6100 have 47mm bores, but the 6421 is 64cc. Maybe in the future Ill try a 6100, would love to buy a jonsered 2260 but I couldnt find for sale anywhere.

IMG_0255[1].JPG
IMG_0259[1].JPG

I had to use a dremel with a cutting wheel and cut down the sides to get the muffler apart. I took my time on it, had to do some other minor cutting so when putting the muffler back together it would seal up. I might go back and rivet a small patch over the extra outlet I had made, not sure if needs it now that its pretty much empty inside, the factory outlet is a decent size. I have the Double D tool to adjust the High on the carb, the Low is just a small flat screwdriver.

IMG_0260[1].JPG

Back